Crown Of Renewal by Elizabeth Moon

Crown Of Renewal (edition 2015)

by Elizabeth Moon (Author)

Member:bonne1978
Title:Crown Of Renewal
Authors:Elizabeth Moon (Author)
Info:Random House USA, 2015
Collections:Your library, I lägenheten, Use for recommendation
Rating:***1/2
Tags:SAB:H.01, fiction, fantasy, Paksenarrion

Crown of Renewal by Elizabeth Moon

Well, there you have it. The final title (for now at least) in the Paladin's Legacy series. While it is sad to say goodbye to these well-drawn and dimensional characters, I was glad to see where everything went.

But it also seemed that the endings were a little rushed? Tidy? Not everything was resolved perfectly, but almost as though Elizabeth Moon wanted to make sure she used every thread that she had introduced in the first series to weave in these ends. Some of the finalizing story lines came out of nowhere (such as Kieri Phalen's nightmarish upbringing), but then others made brilliant though sad conclusions (Dorrin Verrakai).

Just as with the Paks trilogy leading to five more books, perhaps there will be later writings that will continue these excellent characters' stories, or their children's stories. Maybe? ( )
  threadnsong | Feb 9, 2017 |
I read it to complete the series but...

it's my feeling that the author wrote five books when it should have been three. There are too many characters, too many subplots -- and a great majority of them don't move the story forward. Yes, I feel bad Aris is missing his friend, but I don't need a whole chapter on raising horses. What are those horse nomads doing over there? Why do we care about them? I just feel like the book is padded waaay out.

However, I have a mysterious fondness for Gird's Cow. ( )
  tigerb | Apr 7, 2016 |
'Crown of Renewal' is the final book in a 5-book series (Paladin's Legacy), which in turn follows two trilogies - 'The Deed of Paksennarion' and 'The Legacy of Gird.' I've read all of 'Paladin's Legacy' but not the two earlier trilogies.

I do appreciate the author's note at the beginning of the book that this is not intended to be a stand-alone novel. Too many books omit that! While I wouldn't say this is the ideal place to 'jump in' to this saga, I think I would've enjoyed it even if I'd read nothing else - Moon's writing is good enough and enough is happening here, that it actually does work on its own. Sometimes it's difficult though, when you already 'know' the characters, to be a good judge of that.

There's a lot going on in this long novel: in a land of feudal kingdoms, there's not only 'mundane' human conflict, but events involving the rock-dwelling gnomes, the evil 'dark-elf' iynisin (and good elves, too), the nature magic of the kuaknomi, the transcendent glory of Dragon, magelords caught in time, innocent magic users hounded for their gifts, gods that walk on earth and speak directly to their worshipers, magical jewels, body-stealing sorcerers AND MORE. Most of the storylines are picked up from earlier books, and toward the end of this one, there is a bit of a feeling of hastily-made knots, in order to tie up loose ends. It's not too bad, though...

As expected, the 'main' story here follows Dorrin Verrakai, an experienced veteran, as she deals with the magical regalia that addresses her as 'Queen' and seems to want something from her. Dorrin's a great character, and I enjoy every opportunity to spend some time with her.

Copy provided by NetGalley - much (and very sincere) appreciation for the opportunity to read this! ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
First I’m a big fan of Mrs. Moon and will be reading whatever she chooses to write next. That being said I was a little let down by this book as the climax to the five book series. While some of the point of view characters did have their own individual resolutions there didn't seem to be a climax for the series as a whole.

Dorrins’s arc certainly has big implications for the world that along with Camwyn’s arc foreshadow where future volumes might take us. The other big character climax seemed forced, I’m not sure why the villain who has played such a major role from the very beginning of this series would choose to attack a hero who seems to be at the apex of their power right after suffering a huge defeat. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
A great series should have and outstanding finale. Elisabeth Moon does not disappoint. All the loose ends are tied, the villains vanquished and happy ever after should be in the offing. I started reading about Paks with my then 10 year grand daughter, who just received her MS in Immunology from Imperial College. It has been a wonderful 14 years for both of us as we shared books., conversations and hugs. I look forward doing the same with her children. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jun 30, 2014 |

Elizabeth Moonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Acclaimed author Elizabeth Moon spins gripping, richly imagined epic fantasy novels that have earned comparisons to the work of such authors as Robin Hobb and Lois McMaster Bujold. In this volume, Moon’s brilliant masterwork reaches its triumphant conclusion.

The mysterious reappearance of magery throughout the land has been met with suspicion, fear, and violence. In the kingdom of Lyonya, Kieri, the half-elven, half-human king, struggles to balance the competing demands of his heritage while fighting a deadly threat to his rule: evil elves linked in some way to the rebirth of magic.

Meanwhile, in the neighboring kingdom of Tsaia, a set of ancient artifacts recovered by the former mercenary Dorrin Verrakai may hold the answer to the riddle of magery’s return. Thus Dorrin embarks on a dangerous quest to return these relics of a bygone age to their all-but-mythical place of origin. What she encounters there will change her in unimaginable ways—and spell doom or salvation for the entire world.

Praise for Elizabeth Moon

Limits of Power

“Thoughtful and deeply character driven, full of personal crises as heartbreaking and hopeful as any dramatic invasion . . . Fantasy fans will be delighted by this impressive foray.”Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Echoes of Betrayal

“This is an excellent series, and Echoes of Betrayal is particularly well done. [Moon is a] consistently entertaining writer, and this book lives up to her standards.”San Jose Mercury News

“Rousing action and intriguing plot twists.”—Kirkus Reviews

Kings of the North

“Moon’s characters navigate an intricate maze of alliances and rivalries. . . . Close attention to military detail gives the action convincing intensity.”—The Star-Ledger

“Her storytelling is as electrifying as ever, and her readers should be delighted with this new vista of a well-known world.”—Booklist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:02 -0400)

"Disparate threads come together in the concluding volume of Elizabeth Moon's epic fantasy tale, as ancient mages are awakened, ancient evils are defeated, and ancient secrets are revealed. But none of this comes without a high personal cost, as both kindgoms and characters are changed forever in the wake of their trials--and not always for the better"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,407,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible