The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma

The Walls Around Us

by Nova Ren Suma

Orianna and Violet are ballet dancers and best friends, but when the ballerinas who have been harassing Violet are murdered, Orianna is accused of the crime and sent to a juvenile detention center where she meets Amber and they experience supernatural events linking the girls together.

There was some decent writing but hard to follow in parts and it wasn't until I was 40% in that I decided I would finish it. I think it could've been more concise and shorter. Too much filler. I will avoid this author. ( )
  jill1121 | Jun 1, 2019 |
Hmmm... I still don't really know exactly how I feel about this book, and I've been mulling it over for a few hours now. Admittedly, I didn't read the blurb before starting The Walls Around Us. I simply noticed that it had a ton of love thrown at it, plus that I hadn't yet reviewed it as a NetGalley book, and decided to make it my next read. It's nice to go in with no preconceived notions, and just really let a book sweep me away. This one just didn't do that as easily as I expected it to.

The base story, the story that goes back and forth between the calculating Violet and the slightly lost Amber, was pretty spot on for me. I loved this story of two girls, in such different circumstances, each facing the truth trapped inside themselves. It's tough to imagine such young girls committing any type of atrocities, but Nova Ren Suma weaves this story that makes you feel for them. It makes you understand, even if you don't necessarily forgive.

What lost me, and what I afterwards realized was in the synopsis, was the "ghostly" aspect of this book. It's difficult to explain without spoiling anything, and I absolutely want to leave this vague for anyone still interested in this book, but this portion of the book just felt like it was missing something. I can't put my finger on what, exactly. It was like at some point the book wandered off into the forest, and I lost track of it in the trees. After the first few chapters, I had already figured out the main plot points that were to come. So the "mystery" aspect of this wasn't really there for me. Plus I all but despised Violet. So I didn't care all that much if something terrible were to come her way.

Then there was the ending. Which, although it actually did fit with the book as whole, really felt unsatisfying to me. I was confused at first. Then, after reading through it at second time, I finally understood what had happened. Still, I didn't feel like it was what I wanted. Redemption is great. Revenge is understandable. This, however, was really confusing. I'm sure there are plenty out there who will appreciate the vagueness of it all. I really wanted solid closure though.

So, I'm going to settle this right at 3 stars. If anything, I'm going to say that this book has peaked my interest in terms of Nova Ren Suma as an author. This is the first book of hers that I have read, and now that I see how solidly she can build characters, I'm intrigued so see what else is out there. Rest assured, this all my opinion. As I mentioned above, there is a ton of love for this book and I see a lot of things other people will love. It just wasn't exactly what I was looking for. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This book defies easy categorization - is it mystery, horror, fantasy. There are a few plot points that are unresolved, but if you are interested in a twisty book with lots open to interpretation, you might like this one. ( )
  dcoward | Feb 26, 2018 |
I have been trying to be more conservative with giving out 5-star ratings to books I read, especially YA ones, but this rating is very well-deserved.

The writing had an almost poetic tone to it and the characters were well fleshed out given the time we had with them. I felt drawn to them and I became invested in them. Violet (Vee) and Amber were very compelling characters and I loved the way the author showed us bits and pieces of their lives and gave us hints as to what the "truth" was for their crimes.

The ending was exceptionally well done. I was a little confused at first, but as I came to understand things, I loved it. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Nova Ren Sumaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kiertzner, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It isn't running away they're afraid of. We wouldn't get far. It's those other escapes, the ones you can open in yourself, given a cutting edge. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale
For the girl who needs to hid her diary, For the girl who doesn't think she's worth much. And again, and always, for E.
We went wild that hot night.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,726,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible