I'll be Home for Christmas

by Jessica Scott

Series: Coming Home (Scott) (2.5)

307618,286 (4)None
"Jessica Scott should be on every reader's list."--Brenda Novak, New York Times I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS There's nothing in the world Army Sergeant Vic Carponti loves more than his wife and his country. Smart-mouthed and easy tempered, he takes everything as a joke ... except his promise to come home to his wife, Nicole, for Christmas. As he prepares to leave for his latest deployment into Iraq, Vic will do everything he can to shield his beautiful, supportive wife from the realities of war ... and from his own darkest fears. As a career army wife, Nicole Carponti knows just what to expect from her husband's tour of duty: loneliness, relentless worry, and a seemingly endless countdown until the moment Vic walks through the door again. But when the unthinkable happens, Nicole and Vic's bond is tested like never before and changes everything they believe to be true about the power of love and the simple beauty of being home for the holidays. (25,000 words).… (more)

This was a short read and if you’re into military contemporary reads, I think you’ll like it. I found it interesting and entertaining because of the subject and the way their life was portrayed as they were dealing with his deployment at Christmas time. It gave me an ‘in depth’ look at the military families that, I must admit, I don’t think about often enough.

It’s kind of sobering to ‘see’ how strong the women as well as their men have to be and that’s the main reason I recommend you read it.

It’s sweet, funny, sexy, and eye-opening story of love that can withstand many obstacles in its way. Liked it a lot.

Melanie for b2b
Book provided by the publisher through NetGalley
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Were taken back in time to 2007 before things went to hell and get a look at Vic Carponti and his wife before and after the explosion.

As far as the story arc goes there is nothing new as this all takes place in the past. But we are given a glimpse into a couple who's love for each other is so strong it withstands Vic's many deployments and eventually a tragedy.

We also see where things start to unravel for Trent during that deployment in 07. I am so looking forward to getting the full story in his book as to what has really been going on.

CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
I received an ARC of this book for an honest review.

A bittersweet story of a young military couple and the challenges they endure. Beautifully written and so very touching. A highly recommended read. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
I'll Be Home for Christmas is my first taste of Jessica Scott's writing and it has me wanting more.

This is the story of Vic Carponti and his wife Nicole during one of his deployments. Prior to leaving, Vic senses that this deployment is different but can't exactly pinpoint why. He feels uneasy about going but knows he must, while his wife Nicole puts on a brave face and waves goodbye to her soldier, never losing faith that he will return, it's just a matter of whether he will make it home for Christmas or not.

I really connected with both of these lead characters because we saw this story from both points of view. Vic is a soldier through and through, serving his country, giving his all to protect those around him as well as being a loyal and loving husband, willing to do anything to protect his wife from what he has seen and experienced. His wife Nicole knows too well the life of an army wife, waiting for her husband to make it home safe, while trying to hide her worry and anxiety from her husband. Unfortunately Vic's worries about this mission come true and their bond is tested like never before.

Although this is a novella, it didn't feel short and I really enjoyed the story of Vic and Nicole's love. It had the whole range of emotions packed into it's 100 pages. While confronting very real and traumatic situations, dealing with the reality of war, we also saw some sweet moments that endeared me to this couple. Even though this is part of a series, it could be read as a standalone and I will be reading the rest of Jessica's books to find out more about the whole cast of characters.

thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this novella ( )
  Artfullee | Apr 8, 2014 |
I laughed and I cried and I fell in love (again) with Vic Carponti and Nicole. It takes an extraordinary strength, commitment and love to be able to talk about the war and the true feelings behind it. That's what makes Jessica Scott stories a wonderful reading. Thank you for giving me (us) this part of Vic's and Nicole story; if they were loved before, now they are even more.
I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | Feb 21, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,642,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible