Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by…

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Katarina Bivald (Author)

Member:DOKTAP
Title:The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend
Authors:Katarina Bivald (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2016), 400 pages
Tags:Fiction, Living Room

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald (2015)

Recently added byprivate library, Lisa_Francine, DMS1962, deb.d, readingover50, Awill424
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (Micheller7)
    The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan (Micheller7)
    The Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoy (olegalCA)
    Introduction to Cataloguing Practice by Krishan Kumar (anthoniang)
    anthoniang: I recommend this to first year library and information science students.It does not only teach about cataloguing but provides details on how to do cataloguing practically

English (120)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (126)
This is one of those books I just don't get the appeal of. So boring, I did not care one whit about any of the plain vanilla characters. Good for insomniacs, I suppose. ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
This was a light, enjoyable read. The story of a women coming from Sweden, finding herself and bringing the light back to a small town of people was very cute. Loved that it was centred around reading and how books can add so much to your life. Quite enjoyable. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | May 5, 2019 |
A book for book lovers, about reading and about good books (at least the ones I love). This is a sweet, feel-good story with endearingly quirky characters living in a struggling small town in the Midwest. Even though when we meet the main character she cares more for books than people, it is those books that she loves which actually bring everyone together. By the close of the story there is romance, redemption, and a happy-ever-after ending. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Apr 27, 2019 |
I really, really enjoyed this book. I guess it could be called chick-lit, drama and there is even humour in it. Sarah lives in Sweden. Not sure how it happened, but she began a penpal relationship with Amy, a senior citizen in Broken Wheel Iowa. Broken Wheel is almost a ghost town with a few die-hard residents and businesses that do not really make any money. Everyone has moved to Hope, a half hour away. When Amy invites Sarah to visit, she agrees and heads off to America. When she arrives, Amy is dead, but the townspeople want her to stay. They also want her to stay in Amy's house, because that is what Amy would have wanted. The townspeople will not let her pay for anything, groceries, coffee, meals, beer etc. They are also trying to fix her up with Tom, Amy's nephew. When Sarah stumbles upon Amy's library, she comes up with the idea that she will pay the townspeople back by opening a bookstore. That is when things start to happen. The town starts to come alive and the people start to have fun again. Tom, Andy, Carl, Josh, Caroline, Jen, George, John and others round out the cast in this story and they are delightful. A little romance, a little law breading, a lot of friendship and reading, add to this story. By the time I finished this book, I thought of these people as my friends and was rooting for them to have happy endings. This is a wonderful story about people, books and reading and a town that was brought back to life.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Sometimes you can tell when you read a book how much the author loves books. This author loves books. That's always a quality I appreciate.

Sara and Amy connected over books and became penpals who occasionally exchange books and often sent letters.
Amy invites Sara to visit her town Broken Wheel in Iowa.
Sara lives in Sweden, has never left the country and has just lost her job at a bookstore she's worked with for over a decade.
Sara is ready for an adventure and she's about to get one.

When she shows up in Iowa, Amy isn't waiting for her. She quickly finds out that Amy has just passed away.
Now she's in a small town, where she knows not a single soul and has absolutely nothing to do on her visit.

The people in town insist that Sara stay in Amy's house as planned. Soon, everyone in town is being kind to Sara. They want her to feel accepted.

She doesn't know how to pay back their kindness. One day it occurs to her, Amy has left behind thousands of books and also an abandoned store. Sara decides to fix up the store and set it up with Amy's old books.

My one little tiny nit picky problem here? How the heck did Sara know it was ok to sell Amy's books?

Ok, moving on, the town likes the idea despite not being big readers. They support Sara however they can.

Ultimately Sara knows her visa is about to expire and no one, especially Sara herself, wants to leave.

My favorite parts involved Sara and Amy's comments on books and I loved Sara's shelf titles.
I would love to walk into a bookstore to see titles "happy endings" and "unhappy endings". Can we make that happen? :) ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |

Katarina Bivaldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Menzies, AliceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La mujer desconocida que esperaba en la calle principal de Hope era tan convencional que casi resultaba indignante.
Books 1 ---Life 0 The Strange woman standing on Hope's main street was so ordinary it was almost scandalous.

Once you let a book into your life, the most unexpected things can happen...

Broken Wheel, Iowa, has never seen anyone like Sara, who traveled all the way from Sweden just to meet her book-loving pen pal, Amy. When she arrives, however, she finds Amy's funeral guests just leaving. The residents of Broken Wheel are happy to look after their bewildered visitor-there's not much else to do in a dying small town that's almost beyond repair.

You certainly wouldn't open a bookstore. And definitely not with the tourist in charge. You'd need a vacant storefront (Main Street is full of them), books (Amy's house is full of them), and...customers.

The bookstore might be a little quirky. Then again, so is Sara. But Broken Wheel's own story might be more eccentric and surprising than she thought.

A heartwarming reminder of why we are booklovers, this is a sweet, smart story about how books find us, change us, and connect us.

"Broken Wheel, Iowa, has never seen anyone like Sara, who traveled all the way from Sweden just to meet her pen pal, Amy. When she arrives, however, she finds that Amy's funeral has just ended. Luckily, the townspeople are happy to look after their bewildered tourist--even if they don't understand her peculiar need for books. Marooned in a farm town that's almost beyond repair, Sara starts a bookstore in honor of her friend's memory. All she wants is to share the books she loves with the citizens of Broken Wheel and to convince them that reading is one of the great joys of life. But she makes some unconventional choices that could force a lot of secrets into the open and change things for everyone in town. Reminiscent of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, this is a warm, witty book about friendship, stories, and love" --… (more)

Katarina Bivald is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,513,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible