The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by…

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Katarina Bivald (Author)

"Broken Wheel, Iowa, has never seen anyone like Sara, who traveled all the way from Sweden just to meet her pen pal, Amy. When she arrives, however, she finds that Amy's funeral has just ended. Luckily, the townspeople are happy to look after their bewildered tourist--even if they don't understand her peculiar need for books. Marooned in a farm town that's almost beyond repair, Sara starts a bookstore in honor of her friend's memory. All she wants is to share the books she loves with the citizens of Broken Wheel and to convince them that reading is one of the great joys of life. But she makes some unconventional choices that could force a lot of secrets into the open and change things for everyone in town. Reminiscent of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, this is a warm, witty book about friendship, stories, and love" --… (more)
Member:BeecharmerMC
Title:The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend
Authors:Katarina Bivald (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2016), Edition: Later Printing, 400 pages

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald (2015)

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (Micheller7)
    The Little Shop of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan (Micheller7)
    The Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoy (olegalCA)
    Introduction to Cataloguing Practice by Krishan Kumar (anthoniang)
    anthoniang: I recommend this to first year library and information science students.It does not only teach about cataloguing but provides details on how to do cataloguing practically

English (140)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (146)
Books about books can be hit or miss. For me, this one was a hit! Yes, it's a feel-good kind of story, but with enough substance not to be twee. I'm a bit disappointed that Broken Wheel isn't a real town, in fact, because I'd like to go visit. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
Quirky characters, a resourceful heroine, and a delightful plot - this was a fun read, and the perfect book for those of us who LOVE books.

Why? Because this is a book about a girl who loves books. In fact, it is her love of books that brings Sara from Sweden to the tiny, tired town of Broken Wheel.

Ok, the premise is an unusual one - girl from Sweden comes to America to find out her host has...died. But she has vacation time and a return ticket, so she stays. But it's what follows, and her optimistic attitude that really sucked me into the story. I fell in love with the characters, as well as all Sara's talk of books. Because she talks a lot about books in a town that doesn't understand her love of books.

The ending might be a little expected, but I didn't mind.

This book has been translated from the Swedish, and translated well (because you wouldn't know from the reading of it.)

Fans of The Storied Life of AJ Fikry and The Little Paris Bookshop will love this book.

I was given an e-galley via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jenncaffeinated | Jul 4, 2021 |
Sara from Sweden strikes up a pen-pal friendship with a fellow book-lover from a tiny town in Iowa, but when she arrives for an extended visit she discovers her friend has died. So she moves into her house and opens a bookstore using her books, even though there are about six hundred people in town and none of them read, and somehow everyone in town inexplicably falls in love with her and her bookish ways, including, of course, a good-looking single guy.

I'm something of a sucker for books about books, and readers, and bookstores, so I wanted to like this one, but it was just too much, even for me. Nothing in this story, not a single point of plot or characterization, is remotely convincing, and some of it is just so bafflingly out of touch with reality of any kind that I find myself wondering if the author is, in fact, from outer space rather than from Sweden. I mean, presumably people actually own houses in Sweden, right? And other people inherit them when they die, rather than them just being free for random strangers to squat in and start selling off the dead person's belongings, right? And that's just the beginning. It gets stupider from there. And the book-themed stuff doesn't help much, either, because Sara's relationship with books feels incredibly shallow and stereotyped, and the sense of recognition I usually feel when reading about fellow book people really wasn't there at all.

But at least, I thought as I reached the halfway mark, for all its stupidity, I'm not finding it as deeply irritating as I probably should. It's pretty bad, but I'm not exactly hating it. It's far too blandly well-meaning to stir up much in the way of negative emotion. So that's something, at least.

Except then it just got even stupider. And stupider. And now I am very irritated with it, after all. Bah. ( )
  bragan | Feb 18, 2021 |
A book about books, bookstores, quirky characters and naturally a love story or 2 thrown in.... all of it set in rural Iowa..... written by a Swedish author.... makes all sense when you read it! ( )
  yukon92 | Feb 16, 2021 |
This started out a bit slowly, but I sort of liked the idea. It turned into a train wreck in which implausible circumstances and unbelievable characters sucked all enjoyment out of what, as a lover of books, I had thought would be a fun read. It took me three or four days to work up the steam to slog through the cringeworthy last 30 pages. ( )
1 vote dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |

Bivald, Katarinaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Menzies, AliceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La mujer desconocida que esperaba en la calle principal de Hope era tan convencional que casi resultaba indignante.
Books 1 ---Life 0 The Strange woman standing on Hope's main street was so ordinary it was almost scandalous.

Once you let a book into your life, the most unexpected things can happen...

Broken Wheel, Iowa, has never seen anyone like Sara, who traveled all the way from Sweden just to meet her book-loving pen pal, Amy. When she arrives, however, she finds Amy's funeral guests just leaving. The residents of Broken Wheel are happy to look after their bewildered visitor-there's not much else to do in a dying small town that's almost beyond repair.

You certainly wouldn't open a bookstore. And definitely not with the tourist in charge. You'd need a vacant storefront (Main Street is full of them), books (Amy's house is full of them), and...customers.

The bookstore might be a little quirky. Then again, so is Sara. But Broken Wheel's own story might be more eccentric and surprising than she thought.

A heartwarming reminder of why we are booklovers, this is a sweet, smart story about how books find us, change us, and connect us.

Katarina Bivald is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,461,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible