Firefight: A Reckoners Novel by Brandon…

Firefight: A Reckoners Novel

Info:Gollancz
Rating:****1/2
Tags:The reckoners, Fantasy

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

Recently added bycatlin, shaunesay, PegD, TysonAdams, private library, Mabolles42, brittanyboydx, laurenbarrero, jdhenze

English (40)  Dutch (1)  All (41)
Ever wonder what Waterworld would have been like with supervillains in it? Yeah, me neither.

In the second instalment of The Reckoners, David Charleston has become Steelslayer: killer of Epics. Which means that Newcago, whilst freed from tyranny, has regular visits from Epics intent on killing Steelslayer. The Reckoners discover that the ruler of Babilar (Manhattan) has been sending these assassins, so they go to confront Regalia, an Epic from Prof's past. Because that will end well.

Firefight is an interesting sequel to Steelheart in that the first book was about revenge, whilst this novel was about trying to understand your enemy. In fact, it even flirts with the idea that evil can't be addressed with killing but instead requires compassion. Pretty heady stuff for a YA novel. Don't worry, there are fights, guns, and even some swords in the story too.*

This was an enjoyable read. If anything it had more humorous similes (or is that metaphors?) that were such a welcome feature of the protagonist's narration. I'm looking forward to finishing the series with book three: Calamity.

*Can't sneak the moral indoctrination in without a bit of violence to hide it. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
This book by Brandon Sanderson was by far one of my favorite books. It has surprising plot twists, good characters turned bad, and vice versa. It has good character development to make you feel like you stuck with David (the main character) for a long time and make you get emotionally attached to the series. Now let's get on with the review. After the first book, Steelheart, David is confused what to do with his life, and how to think about the Epics (humans with superpowers). Epics are basically supervillains and only supervillains. There are no superheroes. Whenever Epics use their powers, they feel EVIL. They turn narcissistic, and they cannot fight it. It's like and addiction, but only 100 times stronger. They start to kill other human beings just because they "inconvenienced" them. So they think: HOW DARE YOU STAND IN MY WAY WHILE I'M GOING TO GET MY LUNCH! WAIT WHAT WAS THAT?! DID I HEAR A WHIMPER? I HATE WHIMPERS! DIE DIE DIE DIE! EVERONE ELSE DIE TO SO THEY KNOW NOT TO WHIMPER IN MY WAY! This is an over-exaggeration, but you get what I mean.Ok, back on track with the review. One great thing about this book was that the characters are actually smart. In a lot of books, the bad guys make super dumb mistakes that even a kindergartener would not make. The supervillains here are clever, making subtle moves that you won't see or get the meaning of why they did it until the end of the book, and you connect the dots of the entire purpose of the villain's actions. This book takes place roughly about 15 years after the present day when the governments of the world fell to the power of the ruthless Epics. In this book, after David and the team of the other Epic-slayers (also called the Reckoners) go from Chicago (now it's called Newcago after the Epics rose to power) to Babilar (Babylon Restored), the present-day Manhattan. They manage to kill the Epic that they were trying to kill, Regalia. During the process, Prof, who is the leader of the Reckoners, is forced to use his secret Epic powers. Epics don't go bad if they don't use their power. Prof is now corrupt and kills two of the Reckoners. The book ends here. ( )
  kaip.g1 | Jun 1, 2017 |
This is a shining example of why you shouldn't judge a Sanderson book until you hit the final pages. While I did like this book from the get-go, I had one huge quibble. I didn't like how far Sanderson leaned into the disappointing idea that an Epic's powers themselves drive them to cruelty. That they were simply under the power of a corrupting influence, unable to control themselves or to really be held accountable for their actions. It was something that was hinted at at the end of Steelheart, and I hated it then, although I'd hoped it would be swept aside as a red herring. I saw it as a cop-out. A way for Sanderson, optimist and Mormon, to avoid tackling the darker nature of humanity. A way to put the blame on something other than our inherent evils.

This quibble lasted through most of the book, as David struggled with his new, complicated, view of Epics and their behavior. He felt guilt for killing them, knowing how the powers corrupt their thoughts. He struggled to decide which Epics to trust (Megan, Prof, etc.). I won't go into details, but by the end you will know how an Epic's weakness is derived, and you will get an updated theory as to why they become corrupt. It's far more nuanced than I believed it would be, and it does place the blame squarely on the individual, if in a more roundabout way than I initially wanted. In many ways it is a more intelligent approach than saying all people are evil, because who really believes that? There is good, and evil, in everyone. It's a matter of circumstance, base personality, upbringing, insecurity, need, and greed that determine the rest. I thought I had outsmarted Sanderson. That my imaginary version of this series, where Epics are really just people acting evil like people do, would be a better story. I was so wrong that I just want to slap myself. Touche, Sanderson. Touche.

In addition to that, you will get a huge revelation about what Calamity, the celestial event that created the Epics, actually is. It makes the title of the next book seem so appropriate, and gives me chills. The end of this series is going to be a wild ride. ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
It used to be called New York City. Now they call it Babylon Restored or Babilar for short. Regalia, an Epic with powers tied to water, has flooded the city and made herself its ruler. She has been sending minor Epics to Newcago as a way to lure The Reckoners to her domain. But why? What is Regalia's goal? It's obviously a trap and what better way to find out what's going on than to deliberately spring it.

Firefight is the second book in The Reckoners trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. The story begins a few months afterSteelheart. We are dropped straight into the action as the team is in the middle of a mission to take out an Epic named Sourcefield. It turns out that Sourcefield was sent by another Epic as a sort of gauntlet thrown down in challenge. Naturally the Reckoners accept the challenge to find out what's going on. And, of course, to kill some Epics while they're at it.

With the change in location comes a slight change in story. With David's quest for revenge over, he has to decide what's next for him. How do you find a new purpose in life to fill in the hole that's left behind? The story becomes a lot more introspective as David ponders these questions along with what is the true nature of Epics. Where do their powers come from? How are their weaknesses determined? Maybe things are not so random after all. Through it all David remains highly likeable and he still can't get the hang of how to create a good metaphor. Here's one of my favorite examples:

I needed to say something. Something romantic! Something to sweep her off her feet.

"You're like a potato!" I shouted after her. "In a minefield."

She froze in place. Then she spun on me, her face lit by a half-grown fruit. "A potato," she said flatly. "That’s the best you can do? Seriously?"

"It makes sense," I said. "Listen. You’re strolling through a minefield, worried about getting blown up. And then you step on something, and you think, 'I'm dead.' But it’s just a potato. And you’re so relieved to find something so wonderful when you expected something so awful. That's what you are. To me."

"A potato."

"Sure. French fries? Mashed potatoes? Who doesn't like potatoes?"

"Plenty of people. Why can't I be something sweet, like a cake?"

"Because cake wouldn’t grow in a minefield. Obviously."

Yep, that is David trying to be romantic. Speaking of, yes there is a romantic plot in this one. No, it's not like your typical YA romance, see quote above, and I found it endearing.

We're also introduced to some new characters. Only 3 members of the original team travel to the next city and we're introduced to a second Reckoners cell. It's interesting at just how small and specialized these teams are. The team in Babilar seemed to be primarily about recon before David and crew show up for the action.

The story is fast paced and action packed. In true Sanderson style there are a couple more plot twists, a great reveal or two and an even deeper mystery to solve. I can't wait to see how it all wraps up in the final book. ( )
  Narilka | Apr 16, 2017 |
I liked this sequel to Steelheart a lot more than the first book. Some of the ridiculousness is still there. One wishes Sanderson had taken a little more time with the linguistic aspect of world-building, for example, and that David Charleston wasn't such a moron. But the characters begin to deepen, particularly Prof and Megan, and there are some fun twists in the final third of the book. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 12, 2017 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nathan Goodrich,
A dear friend who was patient enough
To read my books when they were bad.
I watched Calamity rise.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,103,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible