Firefight: A Reckoners Novel by Brandon…

Firefight: A Reckoners Novel

Info:Gollancz
Rating:****1/2
Tags:The reckoners, Fantasy

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

English (38)  Dutch (1)  All (39)
This is a shining example of why you shouldn't judge a Sanderson book until you hit the final pages. While I did like this book from the get-go, I had one huge quibble. I didn't like how far Sanderson leaned into the disappointing idea that an Epic's powers themselves drive them to cruelty. That they were simply under the power of a corrupting influence, unable to control themselves or to really be held accountable for their actions. It was something that was hinted at at the end of Steelheart, and I hated it then, although I'd hoped it would be swept aside as a red herring. I saw it as a cop-out. A way for Sanderson, optimist and Mormon, to avoid tackling the darker nature of humanity. A way to put the blame on something other than our inherent evils.

This quibble lasted through most of the book, as David struggled with his new, complicated, view of Epics and their behavior. He felt guilt for killing them, knowing how the powers corrupt their thoughts. He struggled to decide which Epics to trust (Megan, Prof, etc.). I won't go into details, but by the end you will know how an Epic's weakness is derived, and you will get an updated theory as to why they become corrupt. It's far more nuanced than I believed it would be, and it does place the blame squarely on the individual, if in a more roundabout way than I initially wanted. In many ways it is a more intelligent approach than saying all people are evil, because who really believes that? There is good, and evil, in everyone. It's a matter of circumstance, base personality, upbringing, insecurity, need, and greed that determine the rest. I thought I had outsmarted Sanderson. That my imaginary version of this series, where Epics are really just people acting evil like people do, would be a better story. I was so wrong that I just want to slap myself. Touche, Sanderson. Touche.

In addition to that, you will get a huge revelation about what Calamity, the celestial event that created the Epics, actually is. It makes the title of the next book seem so appropriate, and gives me chills. The end of this series is going to be a wild ride. ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
It used to be called New York City. Now they call it Babylon Restored or Babilar for short. Regalia, an Epic with powers tied to water, has flooded the city and made herself its ruler. She has been sending minor Epics to Newcago as a way to lure The Reckoners to her domain. But why? What is Regalia's goal? It's obviously a trap and what better way to find out what's going on than to deliberately spring it.

Firefight is the second book in The Reckoners trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. The story begins a few months afterSteelheart. We are dropped straight into the action as the team is in the middle of a mission to take out an Epic named Sourcefield. It turns out that Sourcefield was sent by another Epic as a sort of gauntlet thrown down in challenge. Naturally the Reckoners accept the challenge to find out what's going on. And, of course, to kill some Epics while they're at it.

With the change in location comes a slight change in story. With David's quest for revenge over, he has to decide what's next for him. How do you find a new purpose in life to fill in the hole that's left behind? The story becomes a lot more introspective as David ponders these questions along with what is the true nature of Epics. Where do their powers come from? How are their weaknesses determined? Maybe things are not so random after all. Through it all David remains highly likeable and he still can't get the hang of how to create a good metaphor. Here's one of my favorite examples:

I needed to say something. Something romantic! Something to sweep her off her feet.

"You're like a potato!" I shouted after her. "In a minefield."

She froze in place. Then she spun on me, her face lit by a half-grown fruit. "A potato," she said flatly. "That’s the best you can do? Seriously?"

"It makes sense," I said. "Listen. You’re strolling through a minefield, worried about getting blown up. And then you step on something, and you think, 'I'm dead.' But it’s just a potato. And you’re so relieved to find something so wonderful when you expected something so awful. That's what you are. To me."

"A potato."

"Sure. French fries? Mashed potatoes? Who doesn't like potatoes?"

"Plenty of people. Why can't I be something sweet, like a cake?"

"Because cake wouldn’t grow in a minefield. Obviously."

Yep, that is David trying to be romantic. Speaking of, yes there is a romantic plot in this one. No, it's not like your typical YA romance, see quote above, and I found it endearing.

We're also introduced to some new characters. Only 3 members of the original team travel to the next city and we're introduced to a second Reckoners cell. It's interesting at just how small and specialized these teams are. The team in Babilar seemed to be primarily about recon before David and crew show up for the action.

The story is fast paced and action packed. In true Sanderson style there are a couple more plot twists, a great reveal or two and an even deeper mystery to solve. I can't wait to see how it all wraps up in the final book. ( )
  Narilka | Apr 16, 2017 |
I liked this sequel to Steelheart a lot more than the first book. Some of the ridiculousness is still there. One wishes Sanderson had taken a little more time with the linguistic aspect of world-building, for example, and that David Charleston wasn't such a moron. But the characters begin to deepen, particularly Prof and Megan, and there are some fun twists in the final third of the book. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 12, 2017 |
This series is like a potato in a minefield. Or maybe a carrot. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Firefight Series: The Reckoners Author: Brandon Sanderson Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: SFF Pages: 427 Format: Kindle Synopsis: David is convinced that Firefight isn't actually the traitor she appears to be. So he heads to Manhattan to take out an Epic that has been throwing smaller epics at Newcago and so he can find Firefight and convince everyone just how innocent and perfect she is. We find out lots of info about Epics and surprise, surprise, David's hormones, instead of his brain, are right and Firefight is all sweetness and light. My Thoughts: I am done with this series. I did not really enjoy Steelheart and I found Mitosis to be yawn worthy. It isn't that it is badly written, or telling a poor story. I simply cannot stand David the main character. I was a 19 year old young man at one time. I KNOW what it is like to have hormones practically controlling you. I also know that you can overcome that and use your brain to at least put the brakes on things, if not do the right thing, ie, don't endanger your whole crew to run after a girl. I also know that hormones don't tell you the truth and in fact they confuse you so much that you can barely tell left from right sometimes. So to have David be right because he "felt" it just made me annoyed to the point of illness. If I am going to read about young adults, I need someone like Rigg from the Pathfinder trilogy by Orson Scott Card. Problem is, most young adults don't control themselves and hence David would fit right in with them. Which is probably why I can't stand him. So my first series of Sanderson's that I'm leaving. Depending on how his Stormlight Archives series goes, that might be the second. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nathan Goodrich,
A dear friend who was patient enough
To read my books when they were bad.
I watched Calamity rise.

174 wanted5 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,885,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible