dismiss

Calamity (The Reckoners) by Brandon…

Calamity (The Reckoners) (edition 2017)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

From the bestselling author of the Mistborn series and "Words of Radiance" comes "Calamity, " the final book in the "New York Times "bestselling Reckoners series. What started in the instant #1 "New York Times" bestseller "Steelheart" and continued in the instant #1 "New York Times" bestseller "Firefight" now concludes in "Calamity." When Calamity lit up the sky, the Epics were born. David s fate has been tied to their villainy ever since that historic night. Steelheart killed his father. Firefight stole his heart. And now Regalia has turned his closest ally into a dangerous enemy. David knew Prof s secret, and kept it even when Prof struggled to control the effects of his Epic powers. But facing Obliteration in Babilar was too much. Once the Reckoners leader, Prof has now embraced his Epic destiny. He s disappeared into those murky shadows of menace Epics are infamous for the world over, and everyone knows there s no turning back. . . . But everyone is wrong. Redemption is possible for Epics Megan proved it. They re not lost. Not completely. And David is just about crazy enough to face down the most powerful High Epic of all to get his friend back. Or die trying. Praise for the Reckoners series: The suspense is relentless and the climax explosive. James Dashner, #1 "New York Times" bestselling author of the Maze Runner series Another win for Sanderson . . . he s simply a brilliant writer. Period. Patrick Rothfuss, author of the "New York Times" and "USA Today" bestseller "The Name of the Wind" STAR] Snappy dialogue, bizarre plot twists, high-intensity action, and a touch of mystery and romance . . . leaves readers] panting for the sequel. "Booklist, " Starred An absolute page-turner." "Publishers Weekly" Compelling. . . . Sanderson uses plot twists that he teases enough for readers to pick up on to distract from the more dramatic reveals he has in store. The A.V. Club"… (more)
Member:dharding
Title:Calamity (The Reckoners)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Ember (2017), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Tags:2020

Calamity by Brandon Sanderson

Recently added byNatalie_Paterson, ajs2677, private library, pikaia280, isabelline, slittleson, Skybalon, booksong

English (37)  Dutch (1)  All languages (38)
Another solid Sanderson effort. The world-building was mostly accomplished in the first book but is continued nicely here. If you liked the first book, you'll like this one and want to finish the trilogy. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
Though it was the end of a full story , it was as weak. I felt like you had this huge conflict and challenge and BOOM outta nowhere comes this easy resolution. Blah, I was told that this is probably the worse of his series that he has done. Great premise, bad delivery - BUMMER ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
Great conclusion to a series. My only gripe is that I prefered to have characters with no superpowers, not to gain them. I know it was only a sidenote mentioned at the end, but it didn't make sense to me how someone who never used powers at all suddenly gained them.

Overall a fun book if you are a fan of comics, action, or bad metaphors. ( )
  nmorse | Dec 3, 2019 |
It's good, but the first two books in the Reckoners series were better. Calamity maintains the high standard of story writing, descriptions, and character interactions. Additionally, you do not have to worry about foul language or strong sexual content in Sanderson's tales of fantasy. Unfortunately, this volume, Calamity, suffers from prolonged story development. It really doesn't pick up until about half-way through, so plan to invest reading time reading lots of background information on how a city made of salt can dissolve, grow, be maintained, how the citizens move about, etc., before you get to the conflict. Still, it's a better than average story. ( )
  BrannonSG | Jun 6, 2019 |
3.5 stars? So much of the first 75% is 5-star material, like the first two books in the series. Character interactions, creative action sequences, fun dialogue, and a nudging at "deep stuff" that also occurs in the first two books of this trilogy. Plus this one boasts even better writing craft in terms of resisting explanations/repetition.

Then I got to the last quarter of the book, and I am left wondering what on earth happened.

The pacing of that final 20-25% is so absurdly fast, I couldn't process a thing, and neither could the characters. The resolutions in the last ten percent hit one after another like automatic weapons fire (how's that for an attempt at David Charleston simile?). Not a minute to spare for emotional fallout or closure. And ... I hate to say it (I really do; I loved the first two books that much) but even the vanquishing of Calamity felt anticlimactic, and I wasn't convinced.

And now a few spoiler-filled thoughts ... My main trepidation going into this book was that Prof wouldn't survive. Justice has to be served (or so I thought); Prof himself would want to pay for these crimes with his life, were he in his right mind. Besides that, after the heinous things he's done, I wasn't sure his sanity would be intact even if he were able to fight back the darkness of the powers. Note Prof has always been my favorite character, so this makes even worse the anticlimactic feeling, not of how we got him back but of how quickly the story moved on from that moment. Am I glad he's alive? Of course. But his "rescue" happened so late in the book and was then so void of character reactions to it, I could hardly care. After the first two books did such a great job exploring the mentor/friend, father/son bond between him and David (my favorite character relationship in the series) ... we got one paragraph of dialogue as our resolution, and in the middle of a battle no less. "I hate you for saving me, but thanks for it too." That's it. And in our final mention of Prof, he's not even in the scene (i.e. Megan saying "he'll have to live with it, the way I do ..." which didn't tell us anything we didn't already know). I needed an aftermath scene between Prof and David. Something meaningful. I feel robbed.

After the exploration of good vs. evil in the first two books, now to find out that "humans are inherently good, every evil thing we've done has been Calamity's fault!" is simply not satisfying. Granted, I personally believe that humans are not inherently good but inherently the opposite (check out the news; we don't have a Calamity in our sky), hence the reason redemption in fictional tales strikes such a strong chord among readers of every culture and generation. David's discovery of Calamity's influence on everybody negates the need for redemption; actually, all the Epics needed all this time was for Calamity to stop "infecting" them and they'd go back to being unselfish good guys. Yes, David's interaction with Obliteration after Calamity is gone does suggest that some people are "just crazy" and will do bad things no matter what, etc. And yes, David, Megan, and Prof are able to "claim" their powers despite Calamity. But ultimately, the conclusion David makes is that Calamity's influence is to blame for the majority of the evil that Epics have done. It's simply not satisfying and negates some of the philosophical nudging of topics that came before in the other two books.

While I love David and Megan together as always, I spent much of this book frustrated with him for repeatedly challenging her to extend the use of her powers. Surely Prof's devastation at the end of the last book should have given him cause for more caution in this. And Megan's warnings to him should carry more weight; she's been dark before, not to mention he's in love with her and respects her. This seems to be something David is incorrigibly blind about, which would have been an intriguing character flaw had it (like everything else in the end) been fully explored and had David really had to face it. Calamity calls him on it, but these accusations aren't dealt with on a character level. And since Megan does beat the darkness in the end, maybe we're not supposed to take issue with David's pushing her. I still did. It leaves me feeling that David hasn't grown as much as I thought he had.

And finally. This whole parallel world where David's dad is alive. Just ... no. For one thing, it negates a huge piece of who David is. It gives something back to him (in the last five percent of the book!) that I for one had never felt the need to get back. His dad's death is an intrinsic part of who he is. I loved the scene in which David cries while riding the bicycle, finally admitting how much it hurts that his dad is gone. It held a real emotional impact and hope that this character is finally starting to deal with loss in a healthy way. Tacking on a "here's your dad back" at the end undermines all of this, not to mention the sense of consequences over the entire series. For another thing, it undermines the father/son relationship between him and Prof. Prof's importance to David stems in part from his lack of a father figure, and that has always been poignant for both characters (even as Prof tells him "I'm not your father"). The epilogue should have belonged to Prof and David, two characters who have been allowed to grow in the reader's heart over the course of three books. Not to David and a man he hasn't seen in ten years, about whom the reader does not know or care.

Then there's the whole "one scene of fatherly love made Calamity realize the error of his ways" thing. Not buying that for a moment. Too easy, and if I give this too much thought, I'm pretty sure doesn't even make consistent sense for Calamity's character.

And ... sigh, typing out these gripes has made me realize that 4 stars is too high a rating.

Am I glad I read the series? Yes. Will I buy the paperback of this one? Yes, because I plan to keep the first two, and this one wasn't bad. But it should have been at least a 500-page book, expanding the final hundred-or-so into 200 that fleshed out fully the events dealing with Prof and with Calamity (and, if we had to have that parallel universe--in spoilers I explain why I do not want it--that needed more fleshing out as well).

Honestly, I wondered at one point if the publisher put a word-count cap on this that stifled the author's ability to resolve all his threads. That last quarter is so, so rushed. Would anyone have complained if this book were 100 pages longer? I think not. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kaylynn ZoBell
A writer, reader, critiquer, and friend,
who has spent ten years in a writing group
with a bunch of loudmouths
and still raises her hand politely to make comments,
instead of murdering us.
(Thanks for all the help over the years, Kaylynn!)
I've witnessed the fearsome depths.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,807,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible