SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

The God Delusion (2006)

by Richard Dawkins

15,340345281 (3.95)2 / 387
Argues that belief in God is irrational, and describes examples of religion's negative influences on society throughout the centuries, such as war, bigotry, child abuse, and violence.
    Why I Am Not a Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects by Bertrand Russell (BGP, yakov.perelman)
    God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens (hnn, BGP)
    Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman (robertf)
    robertf: Dawkins is passionately trying to refute an undefined hypothesis - this is perhaps one of his least succesful works. Ehrman's book does not have conversion to atheism as its aim - it is a description of the scholarly analysis of texts. The reason it is devastating to religion is that it undermines any claim to biblical authenticity by exposing contradictions between different manuscripts. It achieves what Dawkins aims to much more subtly and scientifically.… (more)
    Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam by Michel Onfray (gust)
    Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett (ljessen)
    Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity by John W. Loftus (Percevan)
    The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails by John W. Loftus (Percevan)
    What is Good?: The Search for the Best Way to Live by A. C. Grayling (chrisharpe)
    Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments for God Just Don't Add Up by John Allen Paulos (infiniteletters)
    The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (yakov.perelman)
    The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins (yakov.perelman)
    Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief by Andrew Newberg (bertilak)
    Atheism Advanced: Further Thoughts of a Freethinker by David Eller (hnn)
    God and the State by Michael Bakunin (BGP)
    Talking With God: The Many Faces of Religious Delusion by Robert A. Clark (bertilak)
    Bible Stories for Adults by James Morrow (themulhern)
    themulhern: God is cruel is the theme that unites these two books.
    Why Gods Persist: A Scientific Approach to Religion by Robert A. Hinde (bertilak)
    God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God? by John C. Lennox (bfrost)
    The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener by Martin Gardner (ehines)
    ehines: While I agree with Dawkins and disagree with Gardner about the existence of God, Gardner's open-mindedness judicious and friendly tone, even in error, serves as a rebuke to Dawkins' inability to understand or respect his intellectual opponents.
    The Dawkins Letters: Challenging Atheist Myths by David Robertson (OwenGriffiths)
    OwenGriffiths: The God Delusion offers some of the most popular, if not the most reasoned or effective, arguments "against faith". Robertson attempts to dispel a few perceived misconceptions. This is a good place to start if you wish to understand why a lot of people of (any) faith disregard Dawkins argument in this book. Robertson does not provide a total response to atheism itself, nor does he set out to do so. The God Delusion repays careful reading, because even if one may disagree with them, or argue that they do not represent the best of Atheistic philosophy, one can not deny that Dawkins represents some of the most common critiques of faith, which people of faith are forced to respond to.… (more)

English (319)  Dutch (6)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Icelandic (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (344)
Dawkins is a hero ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
Case 14 shelf 4
  semoffat | Sep 1, 2021 |
Good and informative, but a bit repetitive at times. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
Dawkins challenges the reader to think about their beliefs, and to recognize that our strongly held religious beliefs can often simply be accidents of birth, inherited from our parents. Born to other parents in other cultures could have given us quite different beliefs. Religions would prefer we not question the beliefs we've been taught, however blind faith can prevent us from challenging, what in retrospect, should be questioned. I would imagine that the young victims (some as young as 9 years old) of the recently convicted sexual predator Tony Alamo could be an example of how blind faith in our religious leaders can have harmful consequences. While Dawkins doesn't take us down this path, I imagine that Jim Bakker, convicted of fraud after soliciting millions from his followers, Warren Jeffs, Billy James Hargis, Ted Haggard, and a variety of predatory priests are other examples of leaders who deserved to be questioned. Dawkins makes the case that it's OK to question. Perhaps some beliefs, when challenged, need to be discarded. On the other hand, I imagine, other beliefs or leaders capable of standing up to questions, may ultimately be strengthened. ( )
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
Heard an interview with Dawkins on my favorite NPR show that kept me glued to the radio. Someone's dubbed him as Darwin's rottweiler--I couldn't resist.

OK--so I haven't actually finished the whole thing yet, but most of his arguments are ones I've heard already, and I mostly agree...it just gives more fuel to the fire. The really great thing about this book is that it makes me feel better, a little less villanized, about being a "de facto" atheist; the not-so-great thing about this book is that many parts are used as a vendetta against his foes...gets a little tiresome. When you separate the wheat from the chaff, though, there's some very interesting information that's bound to get you riled up one way or the other. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
That was the first time I had ever considered, even in my own thoughts to myself, that I could be an atheist. I was 36. My husband was down with this—he told me he was an atheist, too. I felt it was weird we were finally having a conversation about this after being married for six years, but maybe we intrinsically knew all along.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, boofdah (Oct 28, 2011)

In The God Delusion, Dawkins argues that evolution has removed the need for a God hypothesis to explain life, and advances in physics may soon do the same for the universe. Further, the existence of God is a proper question for science, and the answer is no.
added by Taphophile13 | editThe Age, Barney Zwartz (Nov 24, 2006)

Despite the many flashes of brilliance in this book, Dawkins’s failure to appreciate just how hard philosophical questions about religion can be makes reading it an intellectually frustrating experience.

Creationists and believers in God are right to see him as their arch-enemy. In The God Delusion he displays what a formidable adversary he is. It is a spirited and exhilarating read. In the current climate of papal/Islamic stand-off, it is timely too.
added by ghilbrae | editThe Guardian, Joan Bakewell (Sep 26, 2006)

Dawkins, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barr, NomaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riemsdijk, Hans E. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vogel, SebastianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, LallaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?'
In Memoriam
Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
As a child, my wife hated her school and wished she could leave.
The boy lay prone in the grass, his chin resting on his hands.
Pantheism is sexed-up atheism. Deism is watered-down theism.
But hate only has to prove it is religious, and it no longer counts as hate.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.
I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden.
I am no more fundamentalist when I say evolution is true than when I say it is true that New Zealand is in the southern hemisphere.

Richard Dawkins è uno dei più famosi scienziati di oggi e uno dei più strenui difensori della teoria darwiniana della selezione naturale. La tesi di questo suo nuovo libro, che ha suscitato un enorme clamore nel mondo anglosassone e ha generato un dibattito accesissimo, è molto semplice: Dio non esiste e la fede in un essere superiore è illogica, sbagliata e potenzialmente mortale, come millenni di guerre di religione e la recente minaccia globale del terrorismo fondamentalista islamico dimostrano ampiamente. Agli occhi di Dawkins, ogni religione condivide lo stesso errore fondamentale, vale a dire l'illusoria credenza nell'esistenza di Dio, e, con essa, la pericolosa sicurezza di conoscere una verità indiscutibile perché sacra.
(piopas)
(KCleavely)
You believe in God.
I believe you've been deceived.
I will tell you why.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,344,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible