Sapiens : Une brève histoire de…

Sapiens : Une brève histoire de l'humanité (edition 2015)

by Yuval Noah Harari (Author)

"From a renowned historian comes a groundbreaking narrative of humanity's creation and evolution--a #1 international bestseller--that explores the ways in which biology and history have defined us and enhanced our understanding of what it means to be "human." One hundred thousand years ago, at least six different species of humans inhabited Earth. Yet today there is only one--homo sapiens. What happened to the others? And what may happen to us? Most books about the history of humanity pursue either a historical or a biological approach, but Dr. Yuval Noah Harari breaks the mold with this highly original book that begins about 70,000 years ago with the appearance of modern cognition. From examining the role evolving humans have played in the global ecosystem to charting the rise of empires, Sapiens integrates history and science to reconsider accepted narratives, connect past developments with contemporary concerns, and examine specific events within the context of larger ideas .Dr. Harari also compels us to look ahead, because over the last few decades humans have begun to bend laws of natural selection that have governed life for the past four billion years. We are acquiring the ability to design not only the world around us, but also ourselves. Where is this leading us, and what do we want to become? Featuring 27 photographs, 6 maps, and 25 illustrations/diagrams, this provocative and insightful work is sure to spark debate and is essential reading for aficionados of Jared Diamond, James Gleick, Matt Ridley, Robert Wright, and Sharon Moalem"--… (more)
Member:br.jacamon
Title:Sapiens : Une brève histoire de l'humanité
Authors:Yuval Noah Harari (Author)
Info:ALBIN MICHEL (2015), Edition: ALBIN MICHEL, 450 pages

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond (Percevan)
    A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The Human Story Retold Through Our Genes by Adam Rutherford (jigarpatel)
    A Little History of the World by E. H. Gombrich (uitdepolder)
    The Origin of Our Species by Chris Stringer (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Many readers comment that they found the first part of Sapiens the most interesting. Lone Survivors goes into more depth about that period of human history
    The Great Divide: Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New by Peter Watson (longway)
    The Management Myth: Why the Experts Keep Getting it Wrong by Matthew Stewart (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: An interesting and critical look at things that we take for granted, giving the reader new perspectives on everything from strategi to time

English (180)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (8)  Catalan (5)  Italian (4)  German (4)  French (4)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (220)
I had previously read the author’s Homo Deus, in which he posits the further evolution of the human race, having largely solved the problems of war, poverty and famine. While I was not terribly impressed with the effort, I couldn’t discount the rave reviews for this, his earlier effort, in which he traces the journey of Homo Sapiens from their appearance on the Earth stage to the present date.

I have to say, the first 350 pages of this book are a very cursory examination of the evolution of Homo Sapiens and a history of the civilized world. As you might imagine, such an effort in not simply ambitious, it is silly. While the author mixes in a little anthropology and philosophy, I cannot imagine many people who will benefit from such exposure. If you don’t understand the importance, or the historical impacts of the agricultural and industrial revolutions, this is probably not the place to start. I would suggest Junior High School.

It is only in the last 50-75 pages that the author engages in any meaningful analysis and discussion, much of which tends toward “new age” philosophical musings. While not a complete waste of time, it really doesn’t justify the rave reviews that many of today’s “influencers” have accorded it. I suspect that in the celebrity circle, it is cool to think this book is cutting edge literature. That says more about the audience than about the book.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the super sweet, heavy, glossy paper stock used by the publisher. It packs a lot of weight into a relatively small package. ( )
1 vote santhony | Sep 3, 2020 |
“Is there anything more dangerous than dissatisfied and irresponsible gods who don’t know what they want?” ( )
  oatleyr | Aug 22, 2020 |
A sweeping history of the human species, building mostly from anthropology.

Harari's dissections of inter-subjective realities spoke most strongly to me: core abstractions around which we structure our lives -- justice, race, money, capitalism, religion, more -- teased apart to clarify their lack of intrinsic reality. It's a rather godless stance, but his explorations were very well done.

I didn't particularly care for the stylistics, but this book is nevertheless thought-provoking. In fact, I was reading two non-fiction books close in time to Sapiens, and I was shocked at the dialogue all three seemed to be in -- I suspect this is a common experience. ( )
  pammab | Aug 19, 2020 |
I quite enjoyed this book. I started reading it as an audiobook borrowed from the library, it was very long, so I ended up buying it on Audible.ca.

The author and I differ on a basic assumption I quite enjoyed this book. I started reading it as an audiobook borrowed from the library, but it is very long, so I ended up buying it on audible.ca.

The author and I differ on a basic assumption - I believe there is a God, and he believes there is no God. It means we approach some things differently. But that doesn’t take away from his brilliant thought, observations, and insights, about humanity, where we’ve been, where we are, and where we might go. In fact, there were a couple of chapters that I want to dig more deeply into so I will likely buy the e-book so that I can read them again.

I highly recommend this book. My four star rating is because it took a long time to read. ( )
1 vote DwaynesBookList | Aug 14, 2020 |
I couldn't get into it. Starting out I knew that the content was going to be boiled down to a great extent since the author was fitting a LOT into 400 pages, but even that expectation wasn't sufficient for warding myself against how much the thinking here sounds like evolutionary psychology. Definitely not my thing. Maybe I'll come back to this someday. Most likely I won't be able to stomach it, unfortunately. It's too bad because the ideas are pretty interesting.
  PhasicDA | Aug 3, 2020 |
Much of Sapiens is extremely interesting, and it is often well expressed. As one reads on, however, the attractive features of the book are overwhelmed by carelessness, exaggeration and sensationalism.
added by Jozefus | editThe Guardian, Galen Strawson (Sep 11, 2014)

Jared Diamond hoort met Simon Schama, Bill Bryson en Charles Mann tot die zeldzame auteurs die inderdaad het grote verhaal vertellen. [...] Zijn recente werk, De wereld tot gisteren, is een brede vergelijking tussen de laatste primitieve samenlevingen, en de eenheidsworst die we nu 'beschaving' noemen. Diamond laat zien hoe 'primitief' we eigenlijk nog zijn, en hoe veel we van die volken kunnen leren. Hij zet aan tot denken. Harari laat de lezer in verwarring achter. [...] Harari beheerst de techniek, maar een 'groot verhaal' komt niet van de grond.
added by Jozefus | editde Volkskrant, Marcel Hulspas (Apr 12, 2014)

Harari, Yuval Noahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gower, NeilMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perkins, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Purcell, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watzman, HaimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my father, Shlomo Harari
About 13.5 billion years ago, matter, energy, time, and space came into being in what is known as the Big Bang.
We study history not to know the future but to widen our horizons, to understand that our present situation is neither natural nor inevitable, and that we consequently have many more possibilities before us than we imagine.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,657,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible