Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by…

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind (edition 2018)

by Yuval Noah Harari (Author)

"From a renowned historian comes a groundbreaking narrative of humanity's creation and evolution--a #1 international bestseller--that explores the ways in which biology and history have defined us and enhanced our understanding of what it means to be "human." One hundred thousand years ago, at least six different species of humans inhabited Earth. Yet today there is only one--homo sapiens. What happened to the others? And what may happen to us? Most books about the history of humanity pursue either a historical or a biological approach, but Dr. Yuval Noah Harari breaks the mold with this highly original book that begins about 70,000 years ago with the appearance of modern cognition. From examining the role evolving humans have played in the global ecosystem to charting the rise of empires, Sapiens integrates history and science to reconsider accepted narratives, connect past developments with contemporary concerns, and examine specific events within the context of larger ideas .Dr. Harari also compels us to look ahead, because over the last few decades humans have begun to bend laws of natural selection that have governed life for the past four billion years. We are acquiring the ability to design not only the world around us, but also ourselves. Where is this leading us, and what do we want to become? Featuring 27 photographs, 6 maps, and 25 illustrations/diagrams, this provocative and insightful work is sure to spark debate and is essential reading for aficionados of Jared Diamond, James Gleick, Matt Ridley, Robert Wright, and Sharon Moalem"--… (more)
Member:Berech
Title:Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Authors:Yuval Noah Harari (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2018), Edition: Illustrated, 464 pages

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

Recently added byLoriFox, Innocente, AlicjaGrace, Nicolas_Yacar, timfduffy, kevin_LT, Devki, rabanitos8891, private library
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond (Percevan)
    A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The Human Story Retold Through Our Genes by Adam Rutherford (jigarpatel)
    A Little History of the World by E. H. Gombrich (uitdepolder)
    The Origin of Our Species by Chris Stringer (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Many readers comment that they found the first part of Sapiens the most interesting. Lone Survivors goes into more depth about that period of human history
    The Great Divide: Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New by Peter Watson (longway)
    The Management Myth: Why the Experts Keep Getting it Wrong by Matthew Stewart (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: An interesting and critical look at things that we take for granted, giving the reader new perspectives on everything from strategi to time

English (187)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (9)  Catalan (5)  Italian (4)  German (4)  French (4)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (228)
Superb.

If only every homo sapiens would read this book the species would advance significantly. ( )
1 vote expatscot | Oct 20, 2020 |
reco by Alex
  BookBoy4 | Oct 10, 2020 |
Great!
  sanchezn | Oct 10, 2020 |
"There are no lawyer bees."

This is the author's humorous way of illustrating one of the most profound chapters in the entire book. In sum, for humans, or homo sapiens, to band together in functionally larger and larger groups, we need to collectively subscribe to ever-increasingly complex belief systems. The Rule of Law, as implied from the above bee example, is one of these shared belief systems. The reach of our civilization's legal system is so complex as to require entire professions of lawyers to help resolve the inevitable conflicts. Bees need no such designation because their group, while highly complex, is not nearly complex by a long stretch as to require it.

"How do religions solve the problem of evil AND the expectation of an all-powerful god?"

This problem has been vexing religious scholars for centuries. It's one of the central critiques of religion in general. The author offers his own solution to the problem, both a serious challenge and just as likely not to be taken seriously. It's so elegant and dastardly that I laughed out loud when I heard it. I won't spoil it for the reader but it's a good bit of irreverent philosophical humor in a book of straightforward scientific facts. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Oct 9, 2020 |
Does just what it says on the tin: gives a crash course in human history. I enjoyed the beginning bits immensely, but the farther along it went, the less engaged I became. That may say more about me than about the text; I think I'm just exponentially more interested in Neanderthals than I am in cyborgs. At any rate, I was educated and entertained, and what more can you ask for from nonfiction? ( )
1 vote electrascaife | Oct 8, 2020 |
Much of Sapiens is extremely interesting, and it is often well expressed. As one reads on, however, the attractive features of the book are overwhelmed by carelessness, exaggeration and sensationalism.
added by Jozefus | editThe Guardian, Galen Strawson (Sep 11, 2014)

Jared Diamond hoort met Simon Schama, Bill Bryson en Charles Mann tot die zeldzame auteurs die inderdaad het grote verhaal vertellen. [...] Zijn recente werk, De wereld tot gisteren, is een brede vergelijking tussen de laatste primitieve samenlevingen, en de eenheidsworst die we nu 'beschaving' noemen. Diamond laat zien hoe 'primitief' we eigenlijk nog zijn, en hoe veel we van die volken kunnen leren. Hij zet aan tot denken. Harari laat de lezer in verwarring achter. [...] Harari beheerst de techniek, maar een 'groot verhaal' komt niet van de grond.
added by Jozefus | editde Volkskrant, Marcel Hulspas (Apr 12, 2014)

Harari, Yuval Noahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gower, NeilMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perkins, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Purcell, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watzman, HaimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my father, Shlomo Harari
About 13.5 billion years ago, matter, energy, time, and space came into being in what is known as the Big Bang.
We study history not to know the future but to widen our horizons, to understand that our present situation is neither natural nor inevitable, and that we consequently have many more possibilities before us than we imagine.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,586,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible