Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by…

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind (edition 2016)

by Yuval Noah Harari (Author)

"From a renowned historian comes a groundbreaking narrative of humanity's creation and evolution--a #1 international bestseller--that explores the ways in which biology and history have defined us and enhanced our understanding of what it means to be "human." One hundred thousand years ago, at least six different species of humans inhabited Earth. Yet today there is only one--homo sapiens. What happened to the others? And what may happen to us? Most books about the history of humanity pursue either a historical or a biological approach, but Dr. Yuval Noah Harari breaks the mold with this highly original book that begins about 70,000 years ago with the appearance of modern cognition. From examining the role evolving humans have played in the global ecosystem to charting the rise of empires, Sapiens integrates history and science to reconsider accepted narratives, connect past developments with contemporary concerns, and examine specific events within the context of larger ideas .Dr. Harari also compels us to look ahead, because over the last few decades humans have begun to bend laws of natural selection that have governed life for the past four billion years. We are acquiring the ability to design not only the world around us, but also ourselves. Where is this leading us, and what do we want to become? Featuring 27 photographs, 6 maps, and 25 illustrations/diagrams, this provocative and insightful work is sure to spark debate and is essential reading for aficionados of Jared Diamond, James Gleick, Matt Ridley, Robert Wright, and Sharon Moalem"--… (more)
Member:livhsuen
Title:Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Authors:Yuval Noah Harari (Author)
Info:Random House of Canada (2016), 512 pages

Work Information

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond (Percevan)
    A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The Human Story Retold Through Our Genes by Adam Rutherford (jigarpatel)
    Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber (M_Clark)
    M_Clark: This expands upon Harari's description of the history of money and commerce. It was obviously an influence on Harari.
    A Little History of the World by E. H. Gombrich (uitdepolder)
    The Great Divide: Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New by Peter Watson (longway)
    Small is Beautiful: A Study of Economics as if People Mattered by E. F. Schumacher (pammab)
    pammab: Sapiens' framing of capitalism-as-religion and its implications were done first in Small is Beautiful. Small is Beautiful focuses on one modern aspect of a much larger cultural change rooted in ideas & capabilities explored in Sapiens.
    The Management Myth: Why the Experts Keep Getting it Wrong by Matthew Stewart (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: An interesting and critical look at things that we take for granted, giving the reader new perspectives on everything from strategi to time

English (246)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (8)  Catalan (7)  French (5)  Italian (5)  German (5)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (301)
Fue definitivamente una lectura interesante. Pero no me termina de convencer.
El libro comienza con la historia de la evolución humana y las primeras sociedades, nuestra alimentación, como cambia con el tiempo, etc. Aunque no es necesariamente nada nuevo ni original, está presentado de una manera muy amena y fácil de digerir.
Sin embargo, después de pasar por todos esos bits de historia interesante, el autor comienza a hablar de las sociedades actuales, religiones e ideologías y ahí, aunque fascinante, el lector siente que se pierde mucho. Sus aseveraciones ya no parecen estar sostenidas por todo un campo de estudio sino que se parecen más a opiniones personales, que si bien tienen sentido, uno siente que deberían conllevar un argumento, una explicación del porqué que nunca llega.
Hacia el final, cuando especula sobre el futuro de la evolución humana, el rol de la tecnología y demás es fascinante, pero una vez más, siento que le falta el sostén académico para poder visitar esos temas un poquito más profundamente.
Debo admitir que como mi primera lectura de no ficción académica, pero no universitaria, me abre muchas puertas. Me despertó curiosidad sobre muchos temas y tengo ganas de ahondar en varios temas, pero no fue una lectura de más de 3 estrellas. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
Very well done. Personally liked that it was translated from Hebrew. Liked the diversity of chapters and how they focused on lots of different topics; but the theme of the book held together and was even enhanced by the diversity. ( )
  bermandog | Jan 15, 2022 |
One of the best books I've read in a long while, and possibly ever. ( )
  nonames | Jan 14, 2022 |
I really wanted more of this to be about ancient times and not weird hypothesizing about modern and future times. The first chunk was interesting, and then I mostly skimmed the later parts. ( )
  Monj | Jan 7, 2022 |
An enlightened way of explaining history, without mentioning dates, people, or places.

- Physics, chemistry, geology and biology can be seen as concerned with very early history.

- Happiness has decreased with the agricultural revolution. Hunter-gatherers spent a significicantly smaller proportion of their time on working than we do nowadays. Hence, history does not imply progress. The reason is that evolution cares about reproductive fitness only, and not about individual happiness.

- The success of the human species is based on cooperation, and cooperation is induced by narratives (=fictions). Formerly, religions were the important narratives; nowadays, companies are the important narratives.

As a supplement, I recommend the 4h (English) interview with the author in the German Alles Gesagt podcast: https://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/2020-10/yuval-noah-harari-interviewpodcast-alle... ( )
  davidpomerenke | Dec 26, 2021 |
Much of Sapiens is extremely interesting, and it is often well expressed. As one reads on, however, the attractive features of the book are overwhelmed by carelessness, exaggeration and sensationalism.
added by Jozefus | editThe Guardian, Galen Strawson (Sep 11, 2014)

Jared Diamond hoort met Simon Schama, Bill Bryson en Charles Mann tot die zeldzame auteurs die inderdaad het grote verhaal vertellen. [...] Zijn recente werk, De wereld tot gisteren, is een brede vergelijking tussen de laatste primitieve samenlevingen, en de eenheidsworst die we nu 'beschaving' noemen. Diamond laat zien hoe 'primitief' we eigenlijk nog zijn, en hoe veel we van die volken kunnen leren. Hij zet aan tot denken. Harari laat de lezer in verwarring achter. [...] Harari beheerst de techniek, maar een 'groot verhaal' komt niet van de grond.
added by Jozefus | editde Volkskrant, Marcel Hulspas (Apr 12, 2014)

Harari, Yuval Noahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Purcell, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watzman, HaimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, CarolineContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my father, Shlomo Harari
About 13.5 billion years ago, matter, energy, time, and space came into being in what is known as the Big Bang.
We study history not to know the future but to widen our horizons, to understand that our present situation is neither natural nor inevitable, and that we consequently have many more possibilities before us than we imagine.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,218,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible