The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by…

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden (original 2016; edition 2014)

by Jonas Jonasson (Author)

"In a tiny shack in the largest township in South Africa, Nombeko Mayeki is born. Put to work at five years old and orphaned at ten, she quickly learns that the world expects nothing more from her than to die young, be it from drugs, alcohol, or just plain despair. But Nombeko has grander plans. She learns to read and write, and at just fifteen, using her cunning and fearlessness, she makes it out of Soweto with millions of smuggled diamonds in her possession. Then things take a turn for the worse... Nombeko ends up the prisoner of an incompetent engineer in a research facility working on South Africa's secret nuclear arsenal. Yet the unstoppable Nombeko pulls off a daring escape to Sweden, where she meets twins named Holger One and Holger Two, who are carrying out a mission to bring down the Swedish monarchy...by any means necessary. Nombeko's life ends up hopelessly intertwined with the lives of the twins, and when the twins arrange to kidnap the Swedish king and prime minister, it is up to our unlikely heroine to save the day--and possibly the world"--from publisher's web site.… (more)
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
Authors:Jonas Jonasson (Author)
Info:London: Fourth Estate, 2014
Tags:Fiction

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson (2016)

Recently added byJRMANDRAGON, B_S_P, private library, katethegreat44, JaynesHat, ann_the_imp
    Q & A by Vikas Swarup (WendyRobyn)
    WendyRobyn: These books share a playful implausability in the plotting along with likeable underdog protagonists who succeed through their cleverness.
    Doing Dangerously Well by Carole Enahoro (JenMDB)

English (49)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (62)
E-book is on sale today (6-21-15) for $1.99 so if it sounds good to you, go get it RIGHT NOW.

The main character is a young black girl from Soweto, whose occupation at the outset is a latrine emptier. Through a series of strange, random and often involuntary events, she forces someone to teach her to read and then becomes an indentured servant to the incompetent man running the South Africa nuclear weapons program. If that sounds like a stretch, it's just the beginning as Nombeko Mayeki is clever, hard-working and opportunistic, eventually ending up seeking asylum in Sweden with a surplus nuclear weapon . She falls in with a pair of twin brothers, both named Holger, who have been raised as staunch opponents of the monarchy. A wild set of circumstances results in this group, plus a few others, in a farmhouse with the King and Prime Minister of Sweden.

The book is quite funny, touching on a number of political issues in a offbeat manner, and slightly more plausible then Jonasson's first book. Besides Nombeko herself, some of the supporting characters are pretty memorable: the Chinese sisters creating fake Chinese antiques, and the potato farming billionaire grandmother. 3.75 stars. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
This is the story of a girl, Nombeko, who was born in Soweto, South Africa who worked her way out of the slums and eventually to a position where she was advising heads of state from a number of countries. The whole story was a bit absurd and reminded me of some of the Vonnegut novels I have read. The characters were a bit silly, but I really liked Nombeko. She was a smart woman who had a way of getting things done (eventually). I liked how the author wove real world historical events into the plot line because it helped me ground the story in our world despite the crazy premise. Overall it was an unbelievable, but fun story. I look forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  Cora-R | Mar 18, 2021 |
I enjoy the farces of JJ usually but this one did seem to drag a little. I’m not sure why it didn’t gel with me, as I liked the characters and the general storyline. Maybe it was just a bit too long. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
If Terry Pratchett and Terry Gross had a baby, it might be this book. With its combination of Pratchett-like whimsy and wordplay, and Fresh Air emphasis on politics, the author has created a unique story. I didn't give it more stars because despite the enjoyable quirkiness, I felt bogged down in the political discussions which ranged from apartheid to the Mossad to Reagan Cold War rhetoric to Swedish Social Democrats to neo-Nazis to...you get the idea! ( )
  AnaraGuard | Nov 1, 2020 |
A very cleverly written book. It addresses aparteid, sexism and other issues in a very amusing way. I have left it aside for the moment as I find it a little too silly to concentrate on at the moment. I think I need something a bit more serious. However I urge others to give it a go as it is worth reading if you are in the correct mood. ( )
  scot2 | Jul 29, 2020 |

Jonas Jonassonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bree, Corry vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Granath, BjörnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuhn, WibkeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson-Broyles, RachelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Secondo le statistiche la possibilità che un'analfabeta riesca a crescere nella Soweto degli anni settanta e che un giorno si trovi rinchiusa in un camion per il trasporto delle patate in compagnia del re e del primo ministro svedesi è pari a una su quarantacinquemiliardiseicentosessantaseimilioniduecentododicimilaottocentodieci.
Questo sulla base dei calcoli effettuati dall'analfabeta in questione.
La differenza tra la genialità e la stupidità è che la genialità ha i sui limiti.
Pensatore sconosciuto
Più si conoscono gli esseri umani e più si apprezza il proprio cane.
Madame de Staël
Presente: quella parte dell'eternità che separa il regno della delusione da quello della speranza.
Ambrose Bierce
La vita non deve essere necessariamente facile, basta che non sia priva di contenuto.
Lise Meitner
In some ways they were lucky, the latrine emptiers in South Africa's largest Shantytown. After all, they had both a job and a roof over their heads.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,503,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible