The Encyclopedia of Early Earth: A Novel by…

The Encyclopedia of Early Earth: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Isabel Greenberg (Author)

3131852,100 (4)52
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, graphic novel, mythology

The Encyclopedia of Early Earth: A Novel by Isabel Greenberg

I have been wanting to read this forever and finally got it for Christmas. This is a very well done graphic novel that is part folklore, part fantasy and involves itself with an era known as “Early Earth”. The book is well done and features great storytelling, I love that there is some humor in here as well.

This book is a bunch of stories within stories. The main story involves a young storyteller who journeys the Earth to find a part of his missing soul. He tells the reader a number of stories on his journey. The book also occasionally jumps to the Bird Man, the main god, who is driving things on Earth.

I loved how each culture our young man meets has beliefs that are different but also similar. I also enjoyed the explanations for things on Earth as they stand today (for example the Tower of Babel comes in to play at one point).

The illustrations fit the mode of the story very nicely and are well done. This book was an excellent package as a whole, very different and creative from anything else I have ever read.

I loved this graphic novel about Early Earth. There is some excellent traditional storytelling in here but there is also some humor to keep things interesting. I love how the stories within stories are woven together to form a cohesive whole. I would recommend to those interested in storytelling and folklore in graphic novel format. This was incredibly well done. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 11, 2019 |
What an enchanting graphic novel! Such beautiful, sweet-bitter tales (and illustrations) that recount some of the early creation stories/myths and celebrate the art of storytelling. ( )
  allriledup | Aug 11, 2018 |
Greenberg throws stories from the Bible and various mythologies (Greek, Inuit, Scandanavian, Arabian and more) into a blender and creates an odd but engaging mishmash for her imagined lost epoch of world history. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
This nested tapestry of graphic fables tells a tragi-comic love story for all ages. A perfect book to introduce younger readers to mythology and the concept of storytelling, history, religion, and philiosophy as overlapping and having similar roots in human experience. Also perfect for older folks to just enjoy the gorgeous artwork and let it put a fresh coat of deceptively light-hearted paint on your ideas about fate, gods, creation, destruction, love and death. Truly beautiful and unique. ( )
  Chamblyman | May 20, 2018 |
  Chamblyman | May 19, 2018 |

Contains many stories, big and small, about and pertaining to the following things: Gods, monsters, mad kings, wise old crones, shamanes, medicine men, brothers and sisters, strife, mystery, bad science, worse geography, and did we already mention true love?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,725,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible