The Encyclopedia of Early Earth: A Novel by…

The Encyclopedia of Early Earth: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Isabel Greenberg (Author)

5002038,618 (4.02)53
Contains many stories, big and small, about and pertaining to the following things: Gods, monsters, mad kings, wise old crones, shamanes, medicine men, brothers and sisters, strife, mystery, bad science, worse geography, and did we already mention true love?
Member:Aperdon
Title:The Encyclopedia of Early Earth: A Novel
Authors:Isabel Greenberg (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2013), Edition: Illustrated, 176 pages

Work Information

The Encyclopedia of Early Earth: A Graphic Novel by Isabel Greenberg

An utterly charming hodgepodge of the folklore of the world with a seasoning of the author's own creativity. Humorous and familiar yet with new twists and a modern spin. Think quirky mythology satire. Absolutely delightful. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Oct 9, 2021 |
Liked this, didn't love it. The stories are interesting, but feel like they lack something. ( )
  livingtech | Mar 18, 2020 |
This is perhaps one of the greatest graphic novels I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Every story was beautiful and heart-warming. This was a very magical experience for me and I loved it! ( )
  ladyofliterature | Jan 9, 2020 |
I have been wanting to read this forever and finally got it for Christmas. This is a very well done graphic novel that is part folklore, part fantasy and involves itself with an era known as “Early Earth”. The book is well done and features great storytelling, I love that there is some humor in here as well.

This book is a bunch of stories within stories. The main story involves a young storyteller who journeys the Earth to find a part of his missing soul. He tells the reader a number of stories on his journey. The book also occasionally jumps to the Bird Man, the main god, who is driving things on Earth.

I loved how each culture our young man meets has beliefs that are different but also similar. I also enjoyed the explanations for things on Earth as they stand today (for example the Tower of Babel comes in to play at one point).

The illustrations fit the mode of the story very nicely and are well done. This book was an excellent package as a whole, very different and creative from anything else I have ever read.

I loved this graphic novel about Early Earth. There is some excellent traditional storytelling in here but there is also some humor to keep things interesting. I love how the stories within stories are woven together to form a cohesive whole. I would recommend to those interested in storytelling and folklore in graphic novel format. This was incredibly well done. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 11, 2019 |
What an enchanting graphic novel! Such beautiful, sweet-bitter tales (and illustrations) that recount some of the early creation stories/myths and celebrate the art of storytelling. ( )
  allriledup | Aug 11, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,214,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible