SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L.…

The Problem With Forever (edition 2016)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Author)

Growing up, Mallory "Mouse" Dodge learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. After she escaped her terrifying childhood and spent years being homeschooled by loving adoptive parents, she is starting her senior year at a public high school. The first day, she runs into Rider Stark, the friend and protector from her childhood, and Mallory realizes that their bond never really faded. But as Rider's life spirals out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out--for the people she loves, the life she wants and the truths that need to be heard.--… (more)
Member:EmmyBou
Title:The Problem With Forever
Authors:Jennifer L. Armentrout (Author)
Info:HARPER COLLINS (2016), 480 pages

Work Information

The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout

3.5 stars ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
3.5 stars

This is a super sweet young adult romance. This storyline really brought out the feelings in me, but it's definitely aimed toward a younger audience. Mallory and Rider were abused foster kids together. She got out of the system when a great couple adopted her. He didn't get adopted, but there are people in his life that care about him. This story addresses a lot of what someone faces growing up. There are consequences to every decision. It's a growing up, life lessons, sweet romance type of read. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Feb 17, 2021 |
This book was so good. I feel like Ms. Armentrout has really come into her writing with this book. I've shelved this one in realistic fiction, but there is a romance in it. The romance doesn't really get started until more than halfway through the book, even though you know it will come. By then I was fully vested in the story. I loved the reference to [book:The Velveteen Rabbit|144974] and parts this book had me in tears. I want to read Ainsley's story next. I don't know if that is in the works, but I am totally on board for Mallory's best friend. ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
3.5 STARS

Whenever I pick up a JLA book (a contemporary one) I always brace myself for it to be a little bit NA-ish, even if it's shelved as YA. because you know this is JLA, queen of steemy books.

But apparently I was pleasatly surprised & mistaken, it was anything but (a first).

But as much as I liked this book I must say that it was quite similiar to Katie McGarry's books (Pushing the Limits series), I couldn't seperate the two. *sigh* I hate when this happens...

I can't wait for Hector & Ainsley's story, I bet that I would love that one far more than this one.
  Leila.Khouane | May 24, 2020 |
“The past never went away and it was not designed to do so. It would always be there, and it should be acknowledged.”

I want to start off by saying Amy Landon rocked as a narrator. Mallory has trouble speaking, and I could really feel it through Landon's words. She would pause often and struggled to voice Mallory's thoughts and feelings. I think that really honored the character Armentrout created. Mallory has a lot of issues in the beginning, but as the story progresses, we hear her speech improve as her confidence grows. Amazing job by all!

My husband and I have friends that started an adoption process when their son was still a baby, but because of all the technicalities and paperwork... he was almost four before he was able to come home with them. Books like this, that show the scary and terrible side of foster care, only solidify my feelings about adopting children out of the system.

Jennifer L. Armentrout did a wonderful job crafting characters that felt authentic and layered. It wasn't just Mallory and Rider, but all of the other secondary characters that made an appearance. No one was there as filler, even if they only showed up on a few pages. If a person was mentioned, they meant something to someone, or were vital to the overall story.

I feel like this book lasted longer than it did, but only because my hold from the library expired and I had to wait for it to become available again. I didn't have any trouble getting back into the story, but it did make it feel like I'd been listening to it for ages. (The audiobook was 10 hours, if that helps.)

The Problem with Forever touches on a lot of really important topics. Some were harder to read about than others, but I think the author handled them all incredibly well. The foster care system has its flaws, and not all foster parents take children into their homes for the right reasons. It's an ugly truth about the world we live in, and it shapes the future of a lot of children. They are kicked out of the system once they turn eighteen or graduate from high school, and then they are expected to just make it on their own. Very few people have their lives figured out at eighteen, and even fewer are financially stable. We fail so many kids on a daily basis, and then we are surprised when they get involved with drugs or other crime-related activities. They're just trying to survive, and they're trying to do it in a world that has never cared about them.

“I learned that even monsters could have a positive impact.”

Again, I think Armentrout brings attention to a lot of these issues, and she does it in a way that gives people hope. Mallory's story was both horrible and uplifting. She's has lived through things that no child should ever experience. It has shaped the person she is today, but it will forever leave a scar. If you're looking for an authentic, honest story, this is definitely a book to consider. It will make you think about life and what it means to truly live. I felt a strong connection to all of the characters, and I really hope some of them get their own story one day.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on August 23, 2018. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |

Jennifer L. Armentroutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landon, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,365,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible