The Here and Now (2014)

by Ann Brashares

5319735,118 (3.29)19
Seventeen-year-old Prenna, an immigrant who moved to New York when she was twelve, came from another time and she and the other travelers must follow strict rules to avoid destroying the new life they have worked so hard to get, as well as the one person Prenna is desperate to protect.

I wanted to give it 5 stars because it was really really good it just wasn't great. My expectations for this book were really high because I have loved all of Ann Brashares books so much. If any other author had written this it would have gotten 5 stars but I had really high expectations for this work and it didn't quite reach them. Overall though a good read with cool premise and plot. As always excellent characterization. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ann Brashares may have just redeemed herself for the final Sisterhood book. Okay, just kidding, I am not one to be mean to authors. Anyway, as if I didn't already hate mosquitoes enough, this book talks about a world where mosquitoes really are the death of humankind as we know it. Prenna is a traveler and she has a different set of standards and rules to follow. Her life is closely monitored by several different higher authorities and one wrong move could have very serious consequences. Prenna, along with her outsider friend Ethan starts to discover some things about her life and the world and things aren't what they seem. I never quite knew where the story was going and was surprised throughout. Really good characters, interesting development and definite issues that made me think. Overall an enjoyable and thought provoking read. Just one more reason Brashares is a must read for me. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
one day read. interesting premise. not a typical ya romance ending.

Prenna is from the future, our future, and it was terrible. She and others have come back to try to prevent the plague that has wiped out so many people. There are strict rules about how to behave, but Ethan, a time native, pushes Penna’s boundaries.

“Complacency is dangerous” is this book’s theme. The “it will be fine attitude” we, as “time natives” (or modern day residents,) display about our environment, and the complacency that “the travelers” fall into after coming to our time, because comfort trumps everything. It’s pretty intense social commentary with a mystery and romance tossed in to keep the reader interested. The ending is in keeping with the theme – sacrifices must be made. So, no HEA for Prenna, but, perhaps one for our world.
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
The Here and Now by Anne Brashares

April 2014

I received a digital ARC of this book from NetGalley and Delacorte Press in exchange for an honest review. YA

Prenna James immigrated to NY at 12 years old from a future that was left in ruins following a pandemic of dengue fever. Likewise, she is constantly monitored to ensure her loyalty to her community. They live by stringent rules to avoid their identities being discovered. Consequently, Prenna becomes involved with Ethan Jarves. Their forbidden romance is one that puts both their lives at risk. ( )
  marquis784 | Feb 15, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I have a soft spot for time travel. So, that why even though I never liked the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, I wanted to give The Here and Now a chance. It sounded rather good.

A small group of people from the near future (late 2080s) have travelled back in time and are hiding in between the 'normal' people. Apparently they have evolved drastically is 60 years, since they are absolutely sure they could never ever visit a doctor or be found out due to their physical differentness. People who don't follow the rules to the smallest details get 'accidents'. However, what is more disturbing is that it never becomes clear what it is they are doing here. They just basically seem to live there.

There is a relationship blossoming between one of the time travellers and Ethan, a contemporary Earth boy, who can sense who is from the future. They get a message they should prevent a murder on a certain day, but conveniently they are not told whose murder. Changing the past in this book is almost easier than ordering from Amazon, and while it changes the future there don't seem to be a lot of consequences, which made me wonder how the system is supposed to work. I'm not dying, however, to figure it out.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
1 vote Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there. -------- L.P. Hartley, The Go-Between
If Time travel were possible, we'd be inundated with tourists from the future. -------Stephen Hawking
For dear Isaiah, captain of family time travel. And for the smart, patient, generous editorial team without whom this book would not be: Josh Bank, Beverly Horowit, Wendy Loggia, Leslie Morgenstein, Sara Shandler, Katie Schwartz, and Jennifer Rudolph Walsh. Thank you.
His dad had to work, so Ethan had gone fishing alone.

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,452,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible