The Here and Now (2014)

by Ann Brashares

Seventeen-year-old Prenna, an immigrant who moved to New York when she was twelve, came from another time and she and the other travelers must follow strict rules to avoid destroying the new life they have worked so hard to get, as well as the one person Prenna is desperate to protect.
Recently added byArina40, DeSmetLibrary1

The Here and Now by Anne Brashares

April 2014

I received a digital ARC of this book from NetGalley and Delacorte Press in exchange for an honest review. YA

Prenna James immigrated to NY at 12 years old from a future that was left in ruins following a pandemic of dengue fever. Likewise, she is constantly monitored to ensure her loyalty to her community. They live by stringent rules to avoid their identities being discovered. Consequently, Prenna becomes involved with Ethan Jarves. Their forbidden romance is one that puts both their lives at risk. ( )
  marquis784 | Feb 15, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I have a soft spot for time travel. So, that why even though I never liked the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, I wanted to give The Here and Now a chance. It sounded rather good.

A small group of people from the near future (late 2080s) have travelled back in time and are hiding in between the 'normal' people. Apparently they have evolved drastically is 60 years, since they are absolutely sure they could never ever visit a doctor or be found out due to their physical differentness. People who don't follow the rules to the smallest details get 'accidents'. However, what is more disturbing is that it never becomes clear what it is they are doing here. They just basically seem to live there.

There is a relationship blossoming between one of the time travellers and Ethan, a contemporary Earth boy, who can sense who is from the future. They get a message they should prevent a murder on a certain day, but conveniently they are not told whose murder. Changing the past in this book is almost easier than ordering from Amazon, and while it changes the future there don't seem to be a lot of consequences, which made me wonder how the system is supposed to work. I'm not dying, however, to figure it out.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
1 vote Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
More like 1 1/2 stars.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Why was I compelled to find out what happened at the end of this book? Pretty much every twist that happened could been seen from a mile away and STILL I wanted to see the outcome, which was almost impossible to find online. Never have I wanted something to be spoiled for me so badly as the end of this book, just so I didn't have to finish it, yet I'd know how it ends. That probably says more about me than about the book, though. Suffice to say, I don't recommend this book and now (hopefully) I've started a much better audio book which I'll want to finish because I want to and not solely because of a compulsion. Not the worst book I've read this year, which is about the only positive thing I have to say. ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
Decent story, amazing premise, unique world. But it just felt passionless to me. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Ethan is fishing when he notices an unusual disturbance in the surrounding atmosphere and amazingly a disoriented naked girl appears out of the disturbance. Following his brief try at communicating with her, she walks away without divulging any information about herself. Four years later we meet the same girl named Prenna and she happens to be attending the same high school as Ethan. As the story progresses we learn that Prenna has immigrated with many other people to the year 2010 from the future year of 2090.

Her future world is one where there is poverty, lack of food, and a fatal blood disease that has caused the death of much of the population. She and her fellow travelers have returned to the past on the pretense that while here, they will try to make changes for the future. But instead, the time travelers have been isolated and are controlled by the small group of people who have taken charge. Prenna finds herself questioning the rules and she partners with Ethan in an attempt to break free of their control. Soon she and Ethan learn that they might have a chance at changing the future if they intervene in a murder that is supposed to happen in a few days on May 17, 2014.

The premise for the book is an interesting one. But in my opinion, it doesn’t make for a page turning read when two teenagers who are on a mission to save the future decide to spend a leisurely day on the beach when there is limited time for the task. The mission is also a rather dangerous one for them to accomplish with their limited knowledge and experience. Additionally, I was rather confused several times by the references made to the characters living in different times and being of varying ages. And so I wasn’t sure what events were actually determining the future. Maybe this source of confusion was meant to be part of the story but I struggled with it. My concerns about the plot will likely not be an issue for the teen reader who will not analyze the plot but who will enjoy both the concept of time travel and the likelihood that Prenna and Ethan will end up in a romantic relationship.

The review of this book is written from the reading of an ARC courtesy of NetGalley.
1 vote Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there. -------- L.P. Hartley, The Go-Between
If Time travel were possible, we'd be inundated with tourists from the future. -------Stephen Hawking
For dear Isaiah, captain of family time travel. And for the smart, patient, generous editorial team without whom this book would not be: Josh Bank, Beverly Horowit, Wendy Loggia, Leslie Morgenstein, Sara Shandler, Katie Schwartz, and Jennifer Rudolph Walsh. Thank you.
His dad had to work, so Ethan had gone fishing alone.

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,551,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible