Love Letters to the Dead: A Novel by Ava…

Love Letters to the Dead: A Novel (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Ava Dellaira (Author)

When Laurel starts writing letters to dead people for a school assignment, she begins to spill about her sister's mysterious death, her mother's departure from the family, her new friends, and her first love.
Member:Erikapayne
Title:Love Letters to the Dead: A Novel
Authors:Ava Dellaira (Author)
Info:Square Fish (2015), 352 pages
Tags:leather

Work Information

Love Letters to the Dead: A Novel by Ava Dellaira (2014)

The Anatomy of Wings by Karen Foxlee (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Sisters trying to come to terms with, and live up to, their adored big sisters' death in a beautifully written, personal way.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (rosylibrarian)

English (62)  German (1)  All languages (63)
3.5 stars
Everybody loves a happy ending but in this case, I think everything ended up conveniently well.
Nevertheless, I liked how it dealt with the theme of grief, as it felt real. Also, I really appreciated the characters of Natalie and Hannah as well as learning about all the dead people Laurel writes letters to. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
Amazing. This is easily the best book I've read all year. Beautifully written, unique and a really wonderful read. ( )
  stacyastokes | Sep 7, 2021 |
I was going to forgive this book for being a bad copy of "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" (and I didn't even like that one). Really, I was going to.
But then, I saw that the author thanked Sthepen Chbosky, her mentor and friend, for helping her to tell her story.
Ha. ( )
  PaulaLourido | Jun 10, 2021 |
3.25* ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
[3.5]
The format of the book was really interesting, and it's one of the things that caught my eye first. It reminded me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower , which is one of my favorite books. I thought I would love this aspect of it, but it was a bit frustrating at times. It did feel as if there were parts that were just slightly altered storylines of TPOBAW, though.

I loved some of the characters, while I struggled to fully like others. I thought Laurel's admiration of her sister was sweet, and I did sort of sympathize with her. However, after a while, her personality began to feel a bit repetitive and bland. It was quite obvious her main focus was Sky, which really did get annoying halfway through - if that, even. There were several points throughout the book where I had to remind myself that she was a freshman in high school, not a child. Her narration switched between excited-twelve-year-old-in-love and philosopher.

Natalie and Hannah were two of the most interesting characters, and I wish they were a larger part of the general story. They were sweet, and the chemistry between them actually existed. If Ava Dellaira wrote another book to focus solely on these two, I'd absolutely read it in a heartbeat.

Sky was... Sky? I just don't really understand the infatuation Laurel had with him. I personally found him to be a total jerk, but even after the horrible things he said and did to her, she was still obsessed with him. As for the chemistry between them, it was pretty much nonexistent. Of course, everyone's had that one crush that was based solely on outer appearance, and honestly, that's what this felt like to me. Laurel found him attractive, and no matter what he did, he was still perfect in her eyes. This was one of the most frustrating parts of this book for me.

Laurel's family were a bit hit or miss for me. I adored her dad, because he reminded me so much of my own father (so I guess I may be biased). Her mom frustrated me tremendously. I hated the fact that she questioned Laurel about May's death almost immediately after, and it felt as if she was trying to trick her into admitting it was her fault. Then, she just completely leaves, just to come back about a year later. It seems as if she'll redeem herself and try to be a good mother, and then she asks Laurel about the night again. The fact that Laurel actually thought her mother left because she blamed her for May's death was terrible in my opinion. Aunt Amy was okay, and I respect her for willingly stepping up and taking over as the motherly figure in Laurel's life. The overly-religious personality was a bit annoying (and rather overused in books).

As for the grief, it mostly just felt like she was angry that May left her. I'm not saying I don't understand that because I absolutely do. However, that's not the only part of grief; there are so many emotions Laurel should have been feeling along with the anger. I also feel like there could have been more information about May; the majority of what we got was Laurel thinking she was beautiful, brave, and perfect. The only stories we got about her were pretty much retold throughout the entire book - May sneaking in after a night out, vague details about the night she died, and her convincing Laurel they were fairies.

As for the ending, I hated it. Did it still make me cry? Yes. I don't understand it, but if there's a broken family that's sort of fixed, it always gets to me. Always.

It was a decent book, but I'm not entirely sure I'll ever read it again. Everything just felt vague, dramatic, and repetitive. I did love the formatting of the book even if it was just a little too similar to TPOBAW. I think there could have been a little more depth to both the characters and storyline itself - particularly with Laurel and the entire grief aspect. ( )
  angeljmartin | Mar 12, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible