American Gods: Author's Preferred Text by…

American Gods: Author's Preferred Text (original 2001; edition 2013)

by Neil Gaiman (Author)

Series: American Gods (1)

Upon his release from prison, a widower accepts a job as a bodyguard and joins the battle between the gods of yore and the neoteric gods of present-day America.
Member:Rawluk
Title:American Gods: Author's Preferred Text
Authors:Neil Gaiman (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2013), Edition: Anniversary, Reprint, 560 pages

American Gods: Author's Preferred Text by Neil Gaiman (2001)

Neverwhere: The Author's Preferred Text by Neil Gaiman (HoudeRat)
    The Sandman: Slipcase Box Set, Vol. 1-10 by Neil Gaiman (HoudeRat)
    The Absolute Sandman Volume One by Neil Gaiman (zapzap)
    The Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis (charlie68)
    charlie68: Some common themes
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both works have elements of religion and belief. They are both mystical in very different ways.
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that one's actions can lead to unintended consequences.

English (158)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (161)
I really wanted to enjoy this book more than I did. It wasn't bad it was just very slow. I did enjoy the Coming to America chapters the most and the last 300 to 400 pages. I felt like the story kind of just dragged out as you follow Shadow and Mr. Wednesday on a road trip around the U.S. eating, sleeping and occasionally talking to Gods. I felt like there could have been more action and it would have been alot better. Maybe it's because I had just finished reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman and heard how good this book was that I had my expectations to high. ( )
  Samantha071013 | Jul 7, 2021 |
Late to the Gaiman party, this is my second. And it's vastly different from my first foray, [The Ocean at the End of the Lane], but just as enjoyable for different reasons. I won't waste time with a synopsis. Easily the most interesting device, if occasionally uneven, is Gaiman's renditions of the varying god's origin stories. Having read a fair amount of Native American lore, Gaiman seems at ease with capitalizing on the underlying myths by expanding the origins into how the gods came to and fared in America. My only disappointment was that the epic conclusion seemed delayed for so long and then hurried in the end. this edition rejoins some of the original manuscripts edited out material, but I could see this narrative stretched out over a couple books to even out the story. Gaiman is a wonderful storyteller, a modern bard with a creative energy that is matched by only a few authors currently working. ( )
1 vote blackdogbooks | Jun 27, 2021 |
Fantastic. My full review is on C-Spot Reviews ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Very enjoyable book Fun to read full of hidden meanings. ( )
  xono | Feb 20, 2021 |
I've read a few things by Gaiman and was looking forward to this one in part because I found the recent television treatment of this book so vivid (a terrible reason to pick up a book, I know). The television treatment was better -- less baggy, more vivid, and fast-paced enough that its flaws aren't as apparent as the things that are annoying in the book, which especially toward the end tended toward a sort of haphazardness and a sort of "I am going to just narrate a bunch of events in a matter of fact and really sort of boring and flavorless way." So, a miss for me. Maybe condensed a fair bit, it would've worked better. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Is an expanded version of

One question that has always intrigued me is what happens to demonic beings when immigrants move from their homelands. Irish-Americans remember the fairies, Norwegian-Americans the nisser, Greek-Americans the vryókolas, but only in relation to events remembered in the Old Country. When I once asked why such demons were not seen in America, my informants giggled confusedly and said, "They're scared to pass the ocean, it's too far," pointing out that Christ and the apostles never came to America.

--Richard Dorson, "A Theory For American Folklore", American Folklore and the Historian
The boundaries of our country sir? Why sir, on the north we are bounded by the Aurora Borealis, on the east we are bounded by the rising sun, on the south we are bounded by the procession of the Equinoxes, and on the west by the Day of Judgement
-The American Joe Miller's Jest Book
They took her to the cemet'ry
In a big ol' cadillac
They took her to the cemet'ry
But they did not bring her back.
-old song
For absent friends--Kathy Acker and Roger Zelazny, and all points between
Shadow had done three years in prison.
The first edition of this title was published in 2001. The 10th anniversary edition (published 2011) AND the Folio Society edition (published 2017) of the author's preferred text, are expanded editions. Please do not combine these expanded editions with the original.

Locked behind bars for three years, Shadow did his time, quietly waiting for the magic day when he could return to Eagle Point, Indiana. A man no longer scared of what tomorrow might bring, all he wanted was to be with Laura, the wife he deeply loved, and start a new life.

But just days before his release, Laura and Shadow’s best friend are killed in an accident. With his life in pieces and nothing to keep him tethered, Shadow accepts a job from a beguiling stranger he meets on the way home, an enigmatic man who calls himself Mr. Wednesday. A trickster and a rogue, Wednesday seems to know more about Shadow than Shadow does himself.

Life as Wednesday’s bodyguard, driver, and errand boy is far more interesting and dangerous than Shadow ever imagined—it is a job that takes him on a dark and strange road trip and introduces him to a host of eccentric characters whose fates are mysteriously intertwined with his own.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,287,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible