The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water by…

The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water

by Gemma Merino

795216,051 (4.2)1 / 2

This book was adorable! I love the illustrations, and the facial expressions of all of the little crocodiles! And the surprise ending, when we find out exactly WHY the little crocodile doesn't do well in water, is just perfect! (All the exclamation points for this book!)
  kerribrary | May 10, 2018 |
This story is about a group of little crocodile siblings who love to swim - All except for one, that is! One little crocodile with tiny red shoes hates the water, so when his siblings are swimming and playing, the only thing he can do is watch. He wants to play with them, so he gets himself an inner tube. This is a great idea until he realizes that he can't participate in the games his siblings are playing because the inner tube is in the way. He is also too scared to jump off of the diving board, something his siblings love to do. With a little bit of courage, he manages to jump off the diving board, but the experience only confirms that this little crocodile hates water. While he's drying off, he sneezes a great big sneeze and fire comes out of his mouth! The reason the little crocodile hated water was because he wasn't a crocodile, he was a dragon. Dragons aren't meant to like water, dragons are meant to breathe fire and fly.

The central message in this book is that you should accept yourself for who you truly are, because everyone is meant to do different things. When the dragon thought he was a crocodile, he was extremely sad because he felt out of place among his siblings. He wasn't able to be happy until he realized that he wasn't meant to swim like them. Once he embraced his unique strengths and abilities, he was able to play with his siblings (or friends, since he is not a crocodile), and was finally happy. ( )
  LaurenCompton | Apr 13, 2018 |
The message of this story is that sometimes we have to find ourselves in order to fit in.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book because of the illustrations and the writing style. The illustrations were absolutely adorable. The lines were crooked and wiggly while the colors appeared to be created using different techniques. Along with the different styles, I loved that there are several pictures on one page, completely expressing the message of the words. I also enjoyed that the pictures were so simple and that they are easy to enjoyed.
I also appreciated the writing style of this book. The words are simple yet used in a way to keep the reader interested. The phrases are quite easy to read and the author did their best to make the little crocodile relatable by making his desire to fit in. I particularly liked when the line on page 15, “this little crocodile definitely hated water. It was cold, it was wet, and it was embarrassing”. A reader could relate easily with the crocodile/dragon which might be why I enjoyed this book so much. I also enjoyed the ending where the crocodile was able to figure out who he really is. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |
Most adorable little guy ever!
  untitled841 | Aug 20, 2015 |
A story that seems to be about not fitting in has a surprising, funny twist. A delightful tale, wonderfully illustrated. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |

A little crocodile cannot get himself to like water, and then finds out the reason why.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,996,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible