Lighter Than My Shadow by Katie Green

Lighter Than My Shadow (edition 2013)

by Katie Green

A poignant, heart-lifting graphic memoir about anorexia, eating disorders and the journey to recovery Like most kids, Katie was a picky eater. She'd sit at the table in silent protest, hide uneaten toast in her bedroom, listen to parental threats that she'd have to eat it for breakfast. But in any life a set of circumstance can collide, and normal behaviour might soon shade into something sinister, something deadly. Lighter Than My Shadow is a hand-drawn story of struggle and recovery, a trip into the black heart of a taboo illness, an exposure of those who are so weak as to prey on the vulnerable, and an inspiration to anybody who believes in the human power to endure towards happiness. 'Even at its most heartbreaking it never feels sombre ... Inspiring, plucky and, in the end, consoling, it's hard to put down' Observer… (more)
Member:psutto
Title:Lighter Than My Shadow
Authors:Katie Green
Info:Jonathan Cape (2013), Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2013 challenge

Lighter Than My Shadow by Katie Green

A GORGEOUS story of the hardship of recovering from an eating disorder and how to forgive yourself. 🖤 ( )
  lispylibrarian | Dec 11, 2019 |
Full review to come! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
I cried reading this. I've lived this. It felt like someone had finally given voice to what I couldn't. The illustrations and narration perfectly capture the feelings and thoughts that plague you when you're living it. If you've ever felt not good enough, struggled with acceptance, or wanted someone to understand how it felt to be you, this book is a must. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | May 2, 2019 |
This graphic novel is a wonderful look at how one young woman slipped from being a "picky eater" to a one suffering from eating disorders. She also looks at what happens when a therapist takes advantage of a person in a vulnerable state as well as how she suffered from this situation, something no one should ever be exposed to. Green is remarkably honest in her portrayal of herself so it was wonderful to see how much progress she made in her recovery. It reminds me of the saying that where there is life, there is hope. Kudos to Green for her recovery and even more for her courage in sharing her story to help others. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Feb 10, 2019 |
A very difficult read in today's atmosphere. An achingly raw delve into disordered eating and abuse and emotional turmoil. Distinct art and storytelling. Very well done. Be kind to yourself while reading this. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,005,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible