All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner

All Fall Down

by Jennifer Weiner

"Allison Weiss has a great job...a handsome husband...an adorable daughter...and a secret. Allison Weiss is a typical working mother, trying to balance a business, aging parents, a demanding daughter, and a marriage. But when the website she develops takes off, she finds herself challenged to the point of being completely overwhelmed. Her husband's becoming distant, her daughter's acting spoiled, her father is dealing with early Alzheimer's, and her mother's barely dealing at all. As she struggles to hold her home and work life together, and meet all of the needs of the people around her, Allison finds that the painkillers she was prescribed for a back injury help her deal with more than just physical discomfort--they help her feel calm and get her through her increasingly hectic days. Sure, she worries a bit that the bottles seem to empty a bit faster each week, but it's not like she's some Hollywood starlet partying all night, or a homeless person who's lost everything. It's not as if she has an actual problem. However, when Allison's use gets to the point that she can no longer control--or hide--it, she ends up in a world she never thought she'd experience outside of a movie theater: rehab. Amid the teenage heroin addicts, the alcoholic grandmothers, the barely-trained "recovery coaches," and the counselors who seem to believe that one mode of recovery fits all, Allison struggles to get her life back on track, even as she's convincing herself that she's not as bad off as the women around her. With a sparkling comedic touch and tender, true-to-life characterizations, All Fall Down is a tale of empowerment and redemption and Jennifer Weiner's richest, most absorbing and timely story yet"--… (more)

This is all about addiction and it could just be that when I'm looking for a good, light hearted, beach novel, I really don't want to read about this topic. I would not recommend the book. ( )
  KamGeb | Feb 1, 2020 |
This title has all the things we love about Jennifer Weiner's heroines, but with an updated "issue." Allison is understandable, an everyday woman, a mother we can relate to, vices that we all have...until it's too much and she loses control of her life. It doesn't all end perfectly, but we are routing for her on very page. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
This follows the same path as book two in being a legal thriller. Book two followed DV, and this story is following and has triggers for sexual abuse.

I went into this a little hesitant as I had previously tried to read it and put it down. I ended up really enjoying this. This is a sneak peak into the Opiate crises we are facing today. It does not matter who you are or where you come from to find yourself dealing with an addiction.

I flew through parts one, two, and three. They were very fast paced and had my interest. Part four seemed to slow down. I was disappointed how everything was wrapped up.

Overall, this was much better than I was expecting though and I really enjoyed it. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Oct 4, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. I listened to it on audible and it was ver captivating. It kept my attention and kept me wanting more. It was a fresh topic and very well written. ( )
  karenvg3 | Mar 19, 2018 |
Wow, this novel was unexpectedly powerful!

Years ago I read Jennifer Weiner's "Good in Bed," thought it a breezy, entertaining book, and hadn't read any more of her work since that initial chick-lit introduction. But "All Fall Down" is far from light; It is a gripping story with a quick pace, believable plot, and timely subject. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Vera said: "Why do you feel you have to turn everything into a story"?  So I told her why:
Because if I tell the story, I control the version.
  Because if I tell the story, I can make you laugh, and I would rather have you laugh at me than feel sorry for me.
Because if I tell the story, it doesn't hurt as much.
Because if I tell the story, I can get on with it.
               -----FROM HEARTBURN BY NORA EPHRON
For my readers...who have come with me this far
Do you generally use alcohol or drugs more than once a week?

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,545,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible