Northanger Abbey (Marvel Classics) by Nancy…

Northanger Abbey (Marvel Classics) (edition 2012)

by Nancy Butler, Janet Lee (Illustrator)

Seventeen-year-old Catherine Morland craves the romantic life of a storybook heroine. When a chance to visit Bath beckons, she is sure she will find the hero of her dreams. But the inexperienced Catherine soon falls prey to a conniving sister and brother. Will her common sense eventually rescue her or will Catherine's bad choices prevent her from ever attracting a good man? Critically-acclaimed Author Nancy Butler and Eisner Award Winner Janet Lee deliver another beloved Jane Austin classic. Collecting: Northanger Abbey 1-5… (more)
Member:kgriffith
Title:Northanger Abbey (Marvel Classics)
Authors:Nancy Butler
Other authors:Janet Lee (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:graphic novel, classics

Northanger Abbey (Marvel Classics) by Nancy Butler

As usual, Nancy Butler does a wonderful job condensing Austen's material down to graphic novel form. The artwork is nice but at times I had trouble following the flow of the panels. Overall, an excellent addition to Marvel's Classic series. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
The story is of course itself and has much to recommend it. The illustrations were a far cry from that promised by the cover. Lack of continuity was a constant enough problem to become a distraction. A good way to introduce the classics to younger generations though. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Abbey is one of Austen's more satirical novels, and I have to admit, after I read it I wasn't a huge fan. It just seemed so silly-like the drama was heightened. After some research, I found Austen meant it to be that way. Reading Butler's adaptation gave me a new appreciation for the story, and the lead characters, Catharine and Henry. Butler does a wonderful job if summarizing Austen's novel and including memorable quotes and scenes from the original.

These versions are excellent for teens, or someone who is looking to get a light version of what the book is about. It's really summed up nicely, and even as an Austen fan, I sometimes feel overwhelmed by all the little details she provides. Lee's illustration style is fantastic too. I love the angular quality of the characters and the bold lines. Note that the cover art is nothing like the artwork throughout the comic, but both are beautifully done. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jan 4, 2014 |

Nancy Butlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Austen, JaneOriginal Storysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Janet K.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Is an adaptation of

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,486,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible