Doing harm by Kelly Parsons

Doing harm (edition 2014)

by Kelly Parsons

"Steve Mitchell, happily married with a wife and two kids, is in line for a coveted position at Boston's University Hospital when his world goes awry. His over-reaching ambition causes him to botch a major surgery, and another of his patients mysteriously dies. Steve's nightmare goes from bad to worse when he learns that the mysterious death was no accident but the act of a sociopath. A sociopath he knows and who has information that could destroy Steve's career and marriage. A sociopath for whom killing is more than a means to an end: it's a game. Because he is under a cloud of suspicion and has no evidence, he knows that any accusations he makes won't be believed. So he must struggle to turn the tables, even as the killer skillfully blocks his every move. Detailing the politics of hospitals, the heirarchy among doctors and the life and death decisions that are made by flawed human beings, Doing Harm marks the debut of a major fiction career"--… (more)
Member:andres_escoces
Title:Doing harm
Authors:Kelly Parsons
Info:New York : St. Martin's Press, 2014.
Tags:to-read

Doing Harm by Kelly Parsons

Received from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

Holy crap, this book! The first few chapters roped me in. The author is a doctor in real life so it is clear he knows what he is talking about. When he is describing the main character's thought process during surgery I thought what a cocky bastard and then I thought well, if someone is going to be operating on me I think I kind of want them to be confident that they know what they are doing. The author also can write a death scene like no one's business. I thought I had the bad guy all figured out and boy was I wrong. I read the entire book in one day and I look forward to seeing more from [a:Kelly Parsons|2384483|Kelly Parsons|https://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-d9f6a4a5badfda0f69e70cc94d962125.png] in the future. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Fast-paced and tense medical thriller. The medical procedures are sometimes described in terminology that is too complicated, but for the most part it was very absorbing. It made me feel like I never want to be admitted to a hospital again, however! I felt the ending was a little rushed, otherwise I would have given it 5 stars. I look forward to the author's next book. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Feb 7, 2021 |
horribly boring. Tried to hard to make it seem plausible, so that it came off seeming like an episode of a poorly written tv show. since it was a debut I'll be skipping whatever comes next from this guy. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Doing Harm by Kelly Parsons is a nice medical thriller.

Having patients die to further your cause could be one way to get people to really see what needs to be changed.

Or

You could just be a psycho who gets off on watching people die.

How do you stop someone from killing more patients in your hospital? You are a doctor and you are suppose to save them.

I enjoyed this book, there were twists that I didn't see coming.

@kellyparsons ( )
  Carolibrarian | Feb 8, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this first book- cant wait to see what she puts out next! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
For Genevieve, Leah, and Nathaniel
Prologue: My patient is dying.
Chapter 1: "Steve?" Sally's voice floats down from our bedroom at the top of the stairs.
But, whatever. Doctors like to say stuff in Latin because it makes us sound smart. And, anyway, the essence of Hippocrates’ message is the same in any language.
Primum, non nocere.
First, do no harm.
…good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kelly Parsons's book Doing Harm was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,295,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible