Robert B. Parker's Bull River by Robert…

Robert B. Parker's Bull River

by Robert Knott

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thoroughly enjoyed all of Robert B. Parker's entries in this series of Westerns featuring friends Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch. I normally have a strict rule about not reading series continuations written by other authors, but I was missing the characters and decided to give Robert Knott's entry a try. And I don't regret it, exactly, but it simply isn't Parker and was thus fell short for me. I'd like to read some of Knott's other books, as I think I'd enjoy his writing if I wasn't feeling compelled to compare it to one of my favorite authors. If you love and desperately miss Virgil and Hitch, you could do worse than pick this one up. No, it's not Parker, but it's far from terrible.
  rosalita | Aug 10, 2017 |
Before I start, I have to get something off my chest. I've only read one other Robert B. Parker book (one of his Spencer novels) so my only other exposure to his writing has been through this series. I understand fan loyalty, but it frustrates me to see reviews where readers are constantly knocking an author because he doesn't live up to their idea of Robert B. Parker's writing. He's NOT Robert B. Parker! Give Knott a chance and base your review on his work. I thought he did an exceptional job with Ironhorse. In fact, I liked it as much as Appaloosa and appreciated the fact that the "F" word was used sparingly. Now that I'm done with my mini-rant, I'll get to the review of Bull River.

I thought the story was good and I enjoyed Captain Alejandro's character very much. He kept things interesting...especially considering how Virgil and Everett were often limited to one word responses in dialogue. If it wasn't for Alejandro, I might not have finished this one. What the heck was wrong with this editor? Virgil and Everett's repeated use of one word responses (i.e., "is", "does", "will") got on my last nerve. Who talks like that?

On the plus side, I think Knott has a good grasp on creating diverse characters. There have been times that I wouldn't have known which character was speaking had it not been for speech tags (aside from Virgil and Everett - then the tags were overkill). In this book, the new characters each had a unique communication style. I found that to be a nice change of pace.

I love westerns and I'm a big fan of Virgil and Everett, so unless things suddenly take a nosedive into ridiculousness - which I don't see happening - I'm in it for the long haul. I still give the series high marks and would recommend the books to any western fan.
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I don't think I've ever read a western before, but Robert B. Parker's Bull River by Robert Knott was definitely an eye opener. The book had me so engrossed that after finishing it I was looking for more and I must say that now I have to read the other Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch stories, because I don't think I will be happy unless I do. The story was fun and there wasn't a dull moment. Everything I could ever want out of this book (a good shot and hilarious happenstances) came to fruition. Overall, I was thrilled with the story its progression to the conclusion, as well as the conclusion itself, even if it was a teensy bit expected. Awesome read.

Note: received in Penguin First To Read galley ( )
  RCW | Apr 8, 2015 |
No, this isn't Robert Parker's work, and yes, it seems more modern to me than Mr. Parker's books with Everett Hitch and Virgil Cole, but I am glad that the legend continues with these two lawmen. I would surely miss them if they were gone. The author co-wrote the screenplay for Appaloosa, along with Ed Harris, and wrote Ironhorse, another book in the series. This story was a bit of a stretch and sounded like a screenplay in the making; however, I forgive that. Knott's dialogue is close to Parker's spare mastering of speech between Hitch and Cole, but not as refined. Knott's descriptions are more vivid without being verbose. I enjoyed Bull River and look forward to the next book in the series, The Bridge. ( )
  brickhorse | Apr 2, 2015 |
Robert Knott has written an enjoyable book. He has Parker's style down very well--short chapters and lean dialogue. Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, deputy US Marshalls solve a bank robbery, kidnapping and some murders along the way. Both Cole and Hitch and their laconic speech style were created by Parker.

This was a fast read, 3 days, like all Parker books ( )
  tom471 | Jan 15, 2015 |
Author is Robert Knott; not Robert B. Parker.
Actually written by Robert Knott

Itinerant lawmen Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch are back in the saddle with guns blazing in this gritty, intense addition to the New York Times–bestselling series.

After hunting down murderer and bandito Captain Alejandro Vasquez, Territorial Marshal Virgil Cole and Deputy Everett Hitch return him to Citadel to stand trial. No sooner do they remand Vasquez into custody when a major bank robbery occurs and the lawmen quickly find themselves tasked with a new job: investigate the robbery of Comstock Bank, recover the loot, and bring the criminals to justice.

But when their primary suspect is found severely beaten outside a high-class brothel and the suspect turns out to be using a false identity to escape a torrid past, it is Vasquez who becomes the key to their investigation. Cole and Hitch are soon on the trail of the money, two calculating brothers, and the daughter of Saint Louis’s most prominent millionaire in a Cain-and-Abel story that brings revenge to a whole new level.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:28 -0400)

"Itinerent lawment Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch return in a new installment of the series created by Robert B. Parker"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robert Knott's book Robert B. Parker's Bull River was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible