Egghead: Or, You Can't Survive on Ideas…

Egghead: Or, You Can't Survive on Ideas Alone (edition 2014)

by Bo Burnham (Author)

2091393,977 (3.88)None
A strange and charming collection of hilariously absurd poetry, writing, and illustration from one of today's most popular young comedians?Ķ Bo Burnham was a precocious teenager living in his parents' attic when he started posting material on YouTube. 100 million people viewed those videos, turning Bo into an online sensation with a huge and dedicated following. Bo taped his first of two Comedy Central specials four days after his 18th birthday, making him the youngest to do so in the channel's history. Now Bo is a rising star in the comedy world, revered for his utterly original and intelligent voice. And, he can SIIIIIIIIING! In Egghead, Bo brings his brand of brainy, emotional comedy to the page in the form of off-kilter poems, thoughts, and more. Teaming up with his longtime friend, artist, and illustrator Chance Bone, Bo takes on everything from death to farts in this weird book that will make you think, laugh and think, "why did I just laugh?"… (more)
Member:BASALibrary
Title:Egghead: Or, You Can't Survive on Ideas Alone
Authors:Bo Burnham (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2014), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages
Collections:Teacher Library - Supplies Closet Hallway

Egghead: Or, You Can't Survive on Ideas Alone by Bo Burnham

Delightful and occasionally insightful. It's like a mix of George Carlin and Shel Silverstein (whom Bo Burnham actually mentions in the acknowledgments) with a dash of Roald Dahl for good measure. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
Bo Burnham es un humorista que comenzó su andadura grabando para Youtube en el ático de sus padres. Tiene un tipo de humor que a veces me encanta y iotras me deja diciendo "esto no, así no", pero en general me gusta. Aquí hay un número suyo entero.
Además de ser monologuista ha escrito un libro de poesía, con un montón de poemas rarunos, entre los cuales hay incluso alguno bello. Mi favorita:

Magic
Read this to yourself. Read it silently. Don’t move your lips. Don’t make a sound.
Listen to yourself. Listen without hearing anything. What a wonderfully weird thing, huh?
NOW MAKE THIS PART LOUD! SCREAM IT IN YOUR MIND! DROWN EVERYTHING OUT.
Now, hear a whisper. A tiny whisper.
Now, read this next line with your best crotchety-old-man voice: “Hello there, sonny. Does your town have a post office?”
Awesome! Who was that? Whose voice was that? It sure wasn’t yours! How do you do that? How?! Must be magic.

Les dejo mi selección por si no piensan coger este libro:
A Dog’s Poem
Roses are grey,
violets are a different shade of grey,
let’s go chase cars!

The Squares
The Squares lived happily, in their square houses, in their square yards, in their square town. One day, a family of Circles moved in from the west. “Get out of here, roundies!” shouted one of the Squares. “Why?” asked one of the Circles. “Because this is a metaphor for racism!”

Convenience
I would do anything for you, if convenient.
I would move a mountain for you if that mountain could be moved with a button or with a lever
that wasn’t too cold to the touch.
I would give you the moon if I could.
You would love the moon. You would show it off to everyone and not give a fuck that you’ve now severely damaged our ecosystem by disrupting the tides.
Maybe a nice look in the mirror is in order, Missy.

Anteater, Blender, Butthole
Anteater, blender, butthole: these words know what they’re doing.
What does a blender do? Blend. What does an anteater do? Eat ants. What’s a butthole? A hole in your butt.
Carpet, manslaughter, folklore. These words suck. What is a carpet? No idea. What is manslaughter? It’s actually slaughtering men or women. Misleading. What is folklore? A bunch of folk doing lore? What the fuck is lore?
Absolute nonsense. We need more words like toothbrush.

My Rabbit’s Foot
I’ve got a rabbit’s foot and I feel lucky that I have it, but I still know that it must’ve come from one unlucky rabbit.

Incomparable
You’re incomparable like a… Shit. Like a…

Touch Me Back
“Touch me back,” you said, like a pirate talking to a masseuse.
“Right away, Captain,” I replied, forgetting that you couldn’t hear that connection that I made in my head.

Above and Below
You little perfect thing, you. At once, I stand in awe and condescend, my puppy, my goddess.

Sharks
You’re afraid of sharks? Really? They don’t even have bones! They have cartilage.
Are you afraid of ears too?

Perfect
I love you just the way you are but you don’t see you like I do.
You shouldn’t try so hard to be perfect.
Trust me, perfect should try to be you.

Clowns
Most people fear the evil clown, squeaking his big red nose in a dark barn.
I fear the off-duty clown, out of his costume, impossible to spot, sitting next to me on a bus.

Her Eyes
Her eyes were like fire. They weren’t red or anything. Not particularly warm, either. They didn’t glow or “appear to glow,” whatever that means.
But they had that same strange blend of familiar and miraculous— and they were always nice to look at after a long day of doing things.
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
mildly offensive, mostly excellent. ( )
  comicsanshater | Jan 14, 2020 |
The first half was funnier to me. The last quarter had maybe one that I liked. There were a few rhymes in the beginning that I found hilarious. ( )
  CassandraT | Sep 23, 2018 |
I love Burnham's stand-up routines, but this book is quite a disappointment in comparison. Burnham does a very adult twist on a Shel Silverstein or Edward Gorey children's book by liberally using swear words, sex and gore, a la [b:Now We Are Sick: An Anthology of Nasty Verse|47721|Now We Are Sick An Anthology of Nasty Verse|Neil Gaiman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1170348388s/47721.jpg|2663]. Several of his odd and/or perverse little poems are quite humorous or can be appreciated for their cleverness, but the cumulative effect of trying to shock the reader page after page leads to a certain numbness by the middle and then a rush to just get to the end.

Also, the art was fine, but many of the illustrations did not make any sense to me for the page on which they appeared.

Perhaps this book would be best read out loud a page or two a day to or with another person? ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,532,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible