...and now Miguel (1953)

by Joseph Krumgold

Other authors: Jean Charlot (Illustrator)

A memorable and deeply moving story of a family of New Mexican sheepherders, in which Miguel, neither child nor man, tells of his great longing to accompany men and sheep to summer pasture, and expresses his need to be recognized as a maturing individual.

Lovely coming-of-age tale told from the perspective of a 12 year old Hispanic boy living in rural New Mexico. I appreciated how the culture was portrayed without getting too detailed, so it didn't slow down the story. ( )
  fuzzi | Feb 28, 2022 |
A twelve-year-old boy longs to go on a sheep drive, but when his prayers are answered, there's danger.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 18, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Miguel is a 12-year-old boy in a family with a long history of sheep raising in New Mexico. He longs more than anything else to be taken with the adult men in the family to herd the sheep up into the mountains for the summer months, when he's out of school and it's too hot for the sheep at home. His father however thinks he is still too young. On the day that honors the patron saint of sheep farmers, Miguel asks the saint to make it so he goes into the mountains. Soon after, his father tells him he will be joining them, but when Miguel finds out why his father changed his mind, he is horrified that his wish to the saint caused this to happen.
One of those old fashioned Newbery winners that probably wouldn't hold the interest of today's kids much, but it isn't a bad book. But it is slow moving, and has almost no focus on friendship, and only minimal focus on family. The themes are a boy longing to be considered a man, and what faith and prayer can accomplish and what they can't. And maybe a touch of "be careful what you wish for."
(Side note: The original publication's cover and illustrations by Jean Charlot seem to bend over backwards to make this look like the most boring book on earth.) ( )
  fingerpost | Jul 15, 2019 |
This was a slow moving book. I could definitely see its documentary roots. There were some very deep topics broached. I was glad it was a book group read to delve into these ideas. I grew to appreciate the art work more when I heard it was inspired by the ancient art of Mexico, but I was not attracted by it at all. We wondered if this book would be enjoyed by children today. Another Newbery winner that supports my theory that Newbery books are more adult friendly than child friendly. ( )
1 vote njcur | Sep 20, 2016 |

Joseph Krumgoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Charlot, JeanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For
my son
ADAM
I am Miguel. For most people it does not make so much difference that I am Miguel. But for me, often, it is a very great trouble.

Miguel, the middle child of the Chavez family, lives near Taos, New Mexico, and longs to go with the men of his family to the Sangre de Christo Mountains.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,207,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible