The Traitor's Wife: A Novel by Allison…

The Traitor's Wife: A Novel (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Allison Pataki (Author)

"Socialite Peggy Shippen is half Benedict Arnold's age when she seduces the war hero during his stint as military commander of Philadelphia. Blinded by his young bride's beauty and wit, Arnold does not realize that she harbors a secret: loyalty to the British. Nor does he know that she hides a past romance with the handsome British spy John Andrâe. Peggy watches as her husband, crippled from battle wounds and in debt from years of service to the colonies, grows ever more disillusioned with his hero, Washington, and the American cause. Together with her former love and her disaffected husband, Peggy hatches the plot to deliver West Point to the British and, in exchange, win fame and fortune for herself and Arnold."--from cover, page [4].… (more)
Member:RoxieT
Title:The Traitor's Wife: A Novel
Authors:Allison Pataki (Author)
Info:Howard Books (2014), 496 pages
Tags:to-read

The Traitor's Wife by Allison Pataki (2014)

DNF
  MissNova | Oct 27, 2019 |
I thoroughly enjoy this novel. The dialogue and settings were believable and the interplay between a beautiful woman and her weak husband, fascinating. ( )
  csobolak | Oct 7, 2019 |
Benedict Arnold is known for his betrayal of George Washington and of the newly forming independent country during the Revolutionary War. Most learn this fact in American History classes in school. What we don’t learn is how much influence his wife, Peggy Shippen Arnold had on the formation and realization of those plans. The story about her involvement is revealed through the voice of the fictional character of Peggy’s maid Clara Belle. As the narrator, Clara tells of a shallow, spoiled woman who wishes for riches and fame. And because she wants these things so badly she hopes to improve her status by encouraging and by indeed helping to orchestrate the betrayal. But the plans are discovered and Benedict Arnold is accused of treason while Peggy Arnold manages to hide her own involvement in the plot.

This historical fiction provides information about the treachery behind Arnold’s attempted betrayal of our country in addition to being an interesting look at life during the Revolutionary War time period. As with any historical fiction, sharing the events and characters of the time are of great value, but I believe that the book’s real importance lies in the fact that it calls attention to the idea that there could be a woman who plays a significant role in historical events even if her endeavors are obscured by a more important historical male figure.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Not much to add to the existing reviews except to say that I couldn't put it down! ( )
  Joreyb | Nov 5, 2018 |
This is a wonderful book that weaves fact and fiction together. I used to read Ann Rinaldi books when I was growing up, so I was aware of the marriage between Peggy Shippen and Benedict Arnold. I knew Peggy was a very beautiful woman and also quite manipulative. John Andre also strikes me as a very charismatic man who knew how to work his way around Peggy and also knew when to leave. Unfortunately for Benedict Arnold, I never got the feeling that he truly knew he was a puppet in Peggy's hands.

The upstairs/downstairs life feels very realistic. The servants are seen as mere servants, practically invisible. But they have ears, eyes, and mouths like everyone else. Clara is one willing to take action. Even though Clara is a fictional character, I hope someone in the true Arnold household played a role in helping the Patriot cause. ( )
  caslater83 | Sep 20, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,568,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible