Blossom Street Brides

by Debbie Macomber

Series: Blossom Street (10)

Does the perfect wedding make the perfect marriage? As three very different women meet in their local knitting store, they find strength in friendship to help them through their problems. After adopting a daughter, Lydia hoped her life would be complete, but traumatic memories from her daughter's past threaten to ruin their happiness. And Lauren has always yearned for marriage and a family of her own, but her long-term boyfriend just won't commit. Will a whirlwind romance with an unlikely stranger lead to the happily-ever-after she's always dreamed of?… (more)

I've read other books in this series, though I don't think I've read them in order. I got this at a library book sale as an audiobook and listened to it while driving--I had to interrupt the story a few time to listen to library audios that had a due date.

At the beginning of this book, I was starting to wonder if it had been misnamed because the focus for a long time seems to be on babies rather than brides.

Though I don't knit, I liked the idea of the knitting baskets spread throughout the town. I was a bit surprised when it was revealed who thought of the idea. I thought it was an innovative marketing idea and was glad it did draw customers to the yarn shop.

There were times that I wanted certain characters to listen to each other and talk to each other, which was frustrating. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Feb 9, 2022 |
Now wedding bells are ringing in the tight-knit community that gathers around A Good Yarn, a store in a Seattle neighborhood. Knitters come to the store to buy yarn and patterns but somehow they leave richer in friendship and love.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 20, 2021 |
Three women's lives intersect in strange ways and they soon realize that love heals every heart and has surprises endings.
  SABC | Nov 18, 2020 |
The last few Blossom Street series have been hit or miss for me. I really liked her last one in the series, "Starting Now" though there was a big plot that I disliked intensely in that novel, "Starting Now: A Blossom Street Novel."

With her latest, "Blossom Street Brides" Ms. Macomber returns to Blossom Street to catch up with fan favorites such as Lydia from "The Shop on Blossom Street" and Bethanne who is still running her party planning business and a new character, Lauren who works at a jewelry store on Blossom Street.

I really did love "A Good Yarn" where we are first introduced to Bethanne and her family where we follow up with them in "A Turn in the Road" I can honestly say that I did not like that novel at all. I though that Bethanne who went from this strong independent woman in "A Good Yarn" turned into a wishy washy indecisive woman. I also ended up disliking her daughter Annie and her former mother in law.

Now to turn to this novel. First I have to say that Ms. Macomber is writing the characters are three dimensional characters again which makes me happy. She actually has plots going on with the three women and we have peeks at former characters from the prior Blossom Street novels. We have Bethanne still adjusting to her 15 month marriage to her husband Max. Lydia still trying to run her store 'A Good Yarn', be there for her family, and deal with her mother's ongoing problems with Alzheimer's disease. Lauren is starting to realize that her two year relationship is going nowhere and that if she wants to be married with children she is going to have to take matters into her own hands.

My main reason for giving this four stars is that with that said I honestly didn't understand besides the one character what this had to do with Blossom Street Brides (notice the plural). It is pretty much stretching it to the story having two brides since one of the brides was a side character in another side character's story that readers don't lay eyes on until the epilogue.

I also thought that Ms. Macomber would have been better served by just focusing on Lauren and Bethanne's stories in this one. Those two characters plots were the strongest for me and I found myself skimming over Lydia's. Also the reveal of who is leaving the baskets all over town I figured out after the first two chapters.

I would recommend to fans of Debbie Macomber!

Please note I received this novel for free via the Amazon Vine Program. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
4.5 stars.

Blossom Street Brides is another warm and cozy addition to Debbie Macomber's charming Blossom Street series. In this installment, readers get the opportunity to revisit favorite couples and their families while a newcomer to the series unexpectedly finds love.

Blossom Street Brides provides in an in-depth and fascinating look into three very different relationships at very different stages in life. Lydia Goetz has been married the longest and while her marriage is rock solid, she has her hands full with an aging mother, a semi-troubled teenager and her struggling business. Bethanne and Max are also happily married, but their relationship is feeling the strain of their continued separation, Bethanne's manipulative ex and her unhappy daughter. When Lauren Elliott's sister announces her pregnancy, Lauren realizes her boyfriend of three years is never going to propose and after she ends their relationship, she falls for a man who is unlike anyone she has ever dated. Bonded through their love of knitting, the three women turn to another for comfort and the strength they need as they struggle to overcome life's various trials and tribulations.

Lydia's storyline is the most poignant of the three. Her mother's declining health coincides with adopted daughter Casey's recurring nightmares and Lydia is unable to help either of them. She is matter of fact about her mother's future and while she tries to help her daughter, Casey refuses to discuss what is haunting her. What stands out most is Lydia's patience with both of them and her willingness to give Casey the space she needs. Her husband Brad is a calming presence and they work together to come up with a solution for Casey. All in all, they are a normal family dealing with the typical ups and downs of family life.

Bethanne and Max's storyline has the most drama. Despite their long distance relationship, they remain deeply in love but both are growing increasingly unhappy with living apart. With two businesses at stake, they are at an impasse over which one should relocate. With Bethanne's ex-husband's latest shenanigans and her daughter's continued resistance to their marriage, Max is more than ready for them to make a decision about finding a way for them to permanently live together.

Lauren's storyline is the most romantic. She meets a man that she falls head over heels for, enters into a whirlwind courtship and eventually makes an impetuous decision that she may come to regret. With a little determination and a lot of love, the couple attempts to sort through their complicated issues.

Blossom Street Brides is a fast-paced and entertaining read that is sure to be a hit with old and new fans of Debbie Macomber's heartwarming and engaging Blossom Street series. The characters are down to earth and life-like and the issues they are dealing with are believable. The romances are quite sweet with love scenes taking place behind closed doors. The dialogue is realistic with no strong language. All of the various story arcs combine into a richly layered novel about love, family and friendship that I greatly enjoyed and highly recommend. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Debbie Macomber's book Blossom Street Brides was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,134,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible