The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: A Novel by…

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: A Novel (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Gabrielle Zevin (Author)

When his most prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, is stolen, bookstore owner A. J. Fikry begins isolating himself from his friends, family and associates before receiving a mysterious package that compels him to remake his life.
Member:acappon
Title:The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: A Novel
Authors:Gabrielle Zevin (Author)
Info:Algonquin Books (2014), Edition: First Edition, 272 pages

Work Information

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (2014)

Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald (Micheller7)
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (bell7, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    bell7: Though one is set in contemporary times on a fictional island of the coast of Massachusetts and the other in post World War II England, both books show the importance of story and have an optimistic tone while dealing with some of life's challenges.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A love of literature helps protagonists form unlikely but rewarding new relationships in these tender stories of personal redemption. The vibrant characterization, gently humorous tone, and whimsical, heartwarming narratives shine in compelling novels that illustrate the power of reading.… (more)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: The Storied Life of AJ Frikry is based off of Silas Marner.
    The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay (carriehh)
    Small Blessings by Martha Woodroof (Electablue)

English (524)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (529)
What a delightful story! I enjoyed reading it tremendously, the pages just flew. The story started off with Amy, which was a bit weird but you figured that she will definitely appear again later. So it was not a total surprise when Fikry started liking and ended up marrying her. Their courtship was super fun to read. You also know that not everything will go well; no stories are like that. The author did provide clues through the stories that Fikry left for his daughter. The only thing that I didn't like is the blurb, which gave the impression that it's a book about Fikry and his adopted daughter when it's more than that. ( )
  siok | Oct 1, 2022 |
I don't remember how this ended up on my to-read list and I might not have read it if I'd read the blurb beforehand, fearing that it was one of those "feel good" books which generally leave me very irritable because I dislike the genre. BUT... I have to say, I really did like this book, so many references to favorite books of mine and quite a few that I haven't read yet, now added to my always growing to-read list. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Sep 22, 2022 |
Obviously I loved this. ( )
  AngelClaw | Sep 15, 2022 |
3.5 stars, but inclined to round up instead of down.
This book is sweet. A quick read with a somewhat grumpy but always loveable main character in A.J. Fikry.
It takes place primarily in a bookstore and is littered with literary references that can do nothing but endear the story to me.

The plot isn't terribly complicated and at times might seem a bit sentimental, but the book moves rapidly and leaves a satisfying overall impression at the end. I found A.J. to be a character with enough dimension to be believable. Everyone else just seemed like supporting cast. I will now want to read the referenced short stories that I haven't read before. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
“You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question, What is your favorite book?”
― Gabrielle Zevin, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

It was very moving. I read this awhile back and throughly enjoyed it. How could one not fall in love with the persnickety but ultimately lovable A.J.?

Although I enjoyed this book greatly, it was not 5 stars for me, more a 3.5 star read. I've seen the twist before and am not all that fond of it. Still it was an emotional and powerful read and I'd recommend it to anyone. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 4, 2022 |

before there is no more
of you and me.
—Rumi
For my parents,
who furnished my formative years with books,
and for the boy who gave me
The Stories of Vladimir Nabakov
all those winters ago.
On the ferry from Hyannis to Alice Island, Amelia Loman paints her nails yellow and, while waiting for them to dry, skims her predecessor's notes.
They had only ever discussed books but what, in this life, is more personal than books? (p. 18)
You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question, What is your favorite book? (p. 87)
Amelia knows she should hang up, but she doesn't. Some part of her wants the story. What is the point of bad dates if not to have amusing anecdotes for your friends?
Her mother likes to say that novels have ruined Amelia for real men.
In Amelia's experience, most people's problems would be solved if they would only give more things a chance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gabrielle Zevin's book The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,184,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible