The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: A Novel by…

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: A Novel (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Gabrielle Zevin (Author)

When his most prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, is stolen, bookstore owner A. J. Fikry begins isolating himself from his friends, family and associates before receiving a mysterious package that compels him to remake his life.
Member:acappon
Title:The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: A Novel
Authors:Gabrielle Zevin (Author)
Info:Algonquin Books (2014), Edition: First Edition, 272 pages

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (2014)

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald (Micheller7)
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (bell7, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    bell7: Though one is set in contemporary times on a fictional island of the coast of Massachusetts and the other in post World War II England, both books show the importance of story and have an optimistic tone while dealing with some of life's challenges.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A love of literature helps protagonists form unlikely but rewarding new relationships in these tender stories of personal redemption. The vibrant characterization, gently humorous tone, and whimsical, heartwarming narratives shine in compelling novels that illustrate the power of reading.… (more)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: The Storied Life of AJ Frikry is based off of Silas Marner.
    The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay (carriehh)
    Small Blessings: A Novel by Martha Woodroof (Electablue)

English (465)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (470)
Quite a body count for a book that is so unrelentingly pleasant! I got all the warm and fuzzies and was eager to get back to the book anytime I had to put it down. It's all about books, bookstores, and reading with some romance and life struggles tucked in neatly. The dialogue and situations get a little too twee at times and it even gets a bit meta, but I'm floating along on a cloud of happiness and refuse to let anything about this book really bother me. ( )
  villemezbrown | Sep 17, 2020 |
Bookstore owner A. J. Fikry's life takes a major turn one day, which is followed by another major turn later on, and life has yet one more major turn in store for him. Reading this put me in mind of John Green's The Fault in Our Stars because of how emotionally involved I got with the characters and the story.
The writing can be...not exactly choppy, but very direct in places, and it's meant to be that way. It adds to the novel's tone, as well as to the overall story. Fikry's voice comes through with consistency and clarity. That's a part of the novel's charm.
I kept trying to figure out which character I relate to most, and I have to say, it's A. J. Fikry. I'm not really sure what that says about me as a person, but maybe that's why I love this book so much. Not only is it about a man who loves literature, but it's also about a man who, for the most part, can relate to literature better than he can relate to most other people. When he does make emotional connections with others, though, the ties are strong and true.
Fikry's not a curmudgeon, but he is intelligent, guarded, and somewhat uptight. He seems to prefer a small, close-knit circle, but as his circle grows, shrinks, and grows again, he experiences life-altering changes that pulled at my heart strings. I love books that move me, books that make me feel. The Collected Works of A. J. Fikry certainly made me feel. I really connected with this book. ( )
  MadMaudie | Sep 5, 2020 |
A sweet little book with quirky characters. It's a quick enjoyable summer read. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A charming tale of loss and Found. A.J. Fikry goes through many stories in his life and in the Final couple of chapters all the stories tie together to make the whole story complete. A very nice well written book, that feels satisfying and complete at the end. ( )
  kresslya | Aug 17, 2020 |
(7.5) I wanted to like this more as it was recommended by someone who loved it.
A.J. Fikry, a bookshop owner, is struggling with depression following the death of his wife in a car accident. He struggles to engage with the community and drinks himself into a stupor at night. On one of these nights a valuable book is stolen. Gone without trace. On another he wakes to fins a two year old girl in his shop with a note pinned to her. She proves to be a lifesaver as he eventually adopts her as his own and raises her with a passion for reading. He attracts a new community of readers and finds his love of life again.
A nice story and quick to read. ( )
  HelenBaker | Aug 17, 2020 |

before there is no more
of you and me.
—Rumi
For my parents,
who furnished my formative years with books,
and for the boy who gave me
The Stories of Vladimir Nabakov
all those winters ago.
On the ferry from Hyannis to Alice Island, Amelia Loman paints her nails yellow and, while waiting for them to dry, skims her predecessor's notes.
They had only ever discussed books but what, in this life, is more personal than books? (p. 18)
You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question, What is your favorite book? (p. 87)
Amelia knows she should hang up, but she doesn't. Some part of her wants the story. What is the point of bad dates if not to have amusing anecdotes for your friends?
Her mother likes to say that novels have ruined Amelia for real men.
In Amelia's experience, most people's problems would be solved if they would only give more things a chance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gabrielle Zevin's book The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,801,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible