Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

Storied Life of AJ Fikry (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Gabrielle Zevin (Author)

When his most prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, is stolen, bookstore owner A. J. Fikry begins isolating himself from his friends, family and associates before receiving a mysterious package that compels him to remake his life.
Member:BeecharmerMC
Title:Storied Life of AJ Fikry
Authors:Gabrielle Zevin (Author)
Info:Algonquin Books (2014), Edition: 1st Edition, 288 pages

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (2014)

Recently added byprivate library, JillMcKiernan, belleek, sharvani, emrsalgado, SamBortle
    The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald (Micheller7)
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (bell7, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    bell7: Though one is set in contemporary times on a fictional island of the coast of Massachusetts and the other in post World War II England, both books show the importance of story and have an optimistic tone while dealing with some of life's challenges.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A love of literature helps protagonists form unlikely but rewarding new relationships in these tender stories of personal redemption. The vibrant characterization, gently humorous tone, and whimsical, heartwarming narratives shine in compelling novels that illustrate the power of reading.… (more)
    Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: The Storied Life of AJ Frikry is based off of Silas Marner.
    The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay (carriehh)
    Small Blessings by Martha Woodroof (Electablue)

English (492)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (497)
A rather heavy-handed retelling of Silas Marner that does not even bother to acknowledge its source of inspiration. Skip this and read Silas Marner instead. ( )
  Samantha_Quick | Jul 15, 2021 |
A great book for readers. Some quotes:

1. "We read to know we're not alone."
2. "In the end, we are collected works."
3. "There ain't nobody in the world like book people."
4. "And I like talking about books with people who like talking about books. I like paper. I like how its feels, and I like the feel of a book in my back pocket. I like how a new book smells, too."

Lovely story about a curmudgeon bookstore owner on a summer vacation island, whose life has been ruined by his wife's death in a car crash, and an abandoned toddler and publisher's rep change his life. Highly recommended. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
For book lovers. ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
A sweet little bonbon of a book, but not much more than that. I may go back to read and/or re-read some of the short stories that character A.J. recommends in charming write-ups between the chapters, and I couldn't help enjoying all the book talk that a novel mostly set in a bookstore includes, but The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry too often reads like the script for a You've Got Mail-style romantic comedy, with stock characters and predictable twists. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |

before there is no more
of you and me.
—Rumi
For my parents,
who furnished my formative years with books,
and for the boy who gave me
The Stories of Vladimir Nabakov
all those winters ago.
On the ferry from Hyannis to Alice Island, Amelia Loman paints her nails yellow and, while waiting for them to dry, skims her predecessor's notes.
They had only ever discussed books but what, in this life, is more personal than books? (p. 18)
You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question, What is your favorite book? (p. 87)
Amelia knows she should hang up, but she doesn't. Some part of her wants the story. What is the point of bad dates if not to have amusing anecdotes for your friends?
Her mother likes to say that novels have ruined Amelia for real men.
In Amelia's experience, most people's problems would be solved if they would only give more things a chance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gabrielle Zevin's book The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,279,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible