Neverwas (Amber House Trilogy) by Kelly…

Neverwas (Amber House Trilogy)

by Kelly Moore

At her family's Maryland home, in a world where colonists lost the 1776 Insurrection, Sarah Parsons and her friend Jackson share visions of a different existence and, having remembered how things ought to be, plan a daring mission to set them right.

This is the 2nd book in a trilogy. Sarah has moved from Oregon to Maryland with her family to take over her grandmother’s old house (from book 1). It’s been too long since I read book 1 to remember what led to the current “situation”, and I don’t want to give too much away, but Sarah seems to be seeing things. Her best friend since childhood (and a neighbour), Jackson, also sees things, but different things.

Ok, I was confused through parts of it, and kind of lost interest a bit (mostly in the things Sarah was “seeing”, but not as much in her “here and now”), and I’m sure the losing interest helped with the confusion. Ultimately, I decided on an “ok” rating, simply because I’m still interested enough to find out what happens in the last book. This one isn’t nearly as good as the first book, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 5, 2019 |
After Sarah made her choice at the end of Amber House, everything changed. Her life has been different--better in some ways, worse in others. And most definitely worse for others, as she's now living in a world where the American Confederation of States exists and people of color are subject to strict and dehumanizing regulations. Sarah has to try to change things.

If I had read this book on its own, not as a sequel to Amber House, it would have been okay. But as a sequel, it wasn't so great. It lost everything I loved about Amber House and didn't give me anything to replace it with. It's too bad, because I very much enjoyed the first book.

(Provided by publisher) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I really liked the first book, Amber House, but I can't get past the ugliness of the alternate reality presented in Neverwas. It made me sick. I read to escape from reality and this was a harsh, cruel world to be dropped into. I might have been able to finish the book despite the setting and general attitude, if the characters had been as engaging and interesting as they were in the first book. Personalities were entirely wiped out during the world building for the alternate reality. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
Due to events at the end of the first book, this sequel finds life has changed for everyone. Sarah changed time itself. Events are different, people's personalities are different and no one seems to know but Aunt Maggie and Sarah's brother. Sarah begins seeing echoes of what was or would have happened. Her Aunt and brother see them too. Sarah learns that certain members of her family throughout history have been able to see echoes. Also, she learns Amber House is full of temporal anomalies and energy. In this world, Sarah's mother is likeable and her parents get along. Sarah's feelings for Jackson are still there, but Jackson's life is very different. Elitism and racism are rampant, and Nazi's are active with a interest in Amber House. The echoes have a purpose but what that truly is we have to wait to see. A very enjoyable sequel and I look forward to reading the next book. ( )
  LeleliaSky | Jun 13, 2016 |
At the end of Amber House, Sarah made a choice that transformed everything -- and now she must choose it all again.

"I was sixteen the second time I had my first kiss . . ."

After growing up in the free country of the Pacific Northwest, Sarah Parsons has settled in at Amber House, the stately Maryland home that's been in her family for generations. But the world surrounding the House feels deeply wrong to Sarah. It's a place where the colonists lost the 1776 Insurrection, where the American Confederation of States still struggles withsegregation, and where Sarah is haunted by echoes of a better world that she knows never existed.

Her friend Jackson shares these visions of a different world -- and together, they manage to remember the way things ought to be, and plan a daring mission that will reset the universe once again. It will involve objects from the past, knowledge of the future, a leap into the unknown . . . and in the end, a sacrifice Sarah never imagined.
  lkmuir | Nov 23, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,907,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible