Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop by…

Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop

by Jenny Colgan

Rosie Hopkins is looking forward to Christmas in the little Derbyshire village of Lipton, buried under a thick blanket of snow. Her sweetshop is festooned with striped candy canes, large tempting piles of Turkish Delight, crinkling selection boxes and happy, sticky children. She's going to be spending it with her boyfriend, Stephen, and her family, who are flying in from Australia. She can't wait. But when a tragedy strikes at the heart of their little community, all of Rosie's plans for the future seem to be blown apart. Can she build a life in Lipton? And is what's best for the sweetshop also what's best for Rosie?… (more)

English (5)  German (1)  All languages (6)
What a heartwarming book this was. I really enjoyed reading it. A worthy read ( )
  TheReadingShed | Aug 25, 2019 |
The continuation of Rosie's story is good. OK, so the plot lines are a little guessable, but it is still a highly enjoyable read! I was on tenterhooks as to how the threads were going to come together and resolve despite this! ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |
This one started really well but went completely downhill once the writer decided to introduce Rosie's paranoia of a family. And the worst thing is that she allowed her heroine to become totally inconsistent to herself and her principles. She became a vulnerable, meek creature, manipulated by that thing she called ''mother''. It was beyond cringe-worthy, it was painful...I kept reading to see whether Rosie would have the guts to utter a proper punch line to her mother and put her in her place, but it didn't happen...

I began to doubt whether she was worthy of Stephen, and most of all, whether she had the will to grasp her life into her hands. Plus, the Henry Carr sub-plot was highly implausible. It seemed to exist just for the sake of added - and utterly failing- melodrama.

Not even close to the first book. It was as if it had been written by a different writer. ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
This is a sequel to ‘Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams’ - but as the author tells us in a prologue, it really doesn’t matter. She provides a quick overview of the first book, explaining all that needs to be known, and indeed it proved to be sufficient. Or, nearly so. I could get right into the story immediately, and had little problem remembering who was whom from the fairly large cast of characters. But there were some moments when I felt a bit like a newcomer in a room of old friends: they’re all welcoming and friendly, but I’m aware of missing out on the nostalgia of their shared history.

Rosie and Stephen are great main characters and I could relate to them well. While most of the minor characters are somewhat caricatured, and the plot is full of dramatic, even clichéd situations - among others: a nerdy child whose ‘earth mother’ is about to have a new baby, a lovely gay doctor, a confused elderly man, a threat to the school - it’s a very readable book which makes ideal reading in the runup to Christmas. And there are some quite moving sections too; I particularly enjoyed the rapport that developed between Rosie and her small superhero-loving niece.

Fluffy chick-lit? Undoubtedly. With a satisfying, if predictable ending. I thought it well-written, as well as mildly amusing in places, and with a bonus of entirely avoiding explicit intimacy, even though there’s a bit more bad language than I’m comfortable with. It’s not a story that will stick in my mind, and it didn’t make me pause to ponder or even wish the book were longer; but it was a pleasant read which I enjoyed, with the added bonus of some simple sweet recipes at the back.

Three and a half stars would be fairer. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Revisits the story from Sweetshop of Dreams with some twists, now you know the characters, now they're snowed in. Stephen is starting teaching when a truck collides with the school, landing Stephen in hospital and Edison seriously injured. Then a man joins the home Lilian is in, and Lilian is convinced she knows him from somewhere and Rosie's family have decided to visit from Australia, for Christmas.

The future could change everything.

It's fun, light stuff but entertaining. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 7, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jenny Colgan's book Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible