Prayers for the Stolen by Jennifer Clement

Prayers for the Stolen (edition 2014)

by Jennifer Clement

Born in a rural Mexico region where girls are disguised as boys to avoid the attentions of traffickers, Ladydi dreams of a better life before moving to Mexico City, where she falls in love and ends up in a prison with other women who share her experiences.
Member:cberyl
Title:Prayers for the Stolen
Authors:Jennifer Clement
Info:Hogarth (2014), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:to be read

Prayers for the Stolen by Jennifer Clement

English (25)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (27)
I really enjoyed this book. It's writing is almost like Ladydi is sitting down with you and telling you her story. It has some suspenseful parts but it's very easy to understand and easy to read.

I received this book courtesy of Blogging for Books, in exchange for my review. ( )
  vickimarie2002 | Feb 19, 2020 |
Read for book club. Liked a lot. ( )
  SBG1962 | Sep 27, 2019 |
I thought this was an excellent book that covered a subject I knew little about: the young girls stolen by drug gangs in northern Mexico. The subject matter is grim, but the way it's told, through the experiences of a young woman with an extraordinary mother, makes it very readable. I certainly was glued to it all the way through. ( )
  meredk | May 17, 2019 |
The novel is set on a remote montaintop in Mexiko, a place notorious for the trafficking of young girls. The girl Ladydi Garcia Maretinez is part of a community, like many in rural Mexico, that has been determined by drug traffickers, governement agricultural policies and illegal immigration to the USA. The story is shocking. I did not know much about this issues prior to reading this book.
Jennifer Clement, the author, has spent more than ten years listening to Mexican women. Her authority as an author comes from her deep intimacy with the subject. For "Prayers for the Stolen" she spent time with the girls and women in prison whose only real crime was having once been young and pretty. ( )
  Wassilissa | Nov 20, 2018 |
A sad, depressing story of life in the jungle of drug cartel filled men who prey on young bodies. Save for the narcos, there are no men in the mountains of Acapulco. They are used the women and left via the illegal entrances of the United States. Some come back sporadically, but most men remain where the grass is greener, leaving behind the unskilled women with no money and no way to thrive.

In order to save daughters from abduction by the cartel, mothers cut the girls hair, blacken their teeth, and dig holes in the ground so their daughters can hide when the large vehicles storm into their tiny village.

This is a story told from the perspective of Ladydi, one of the girls in the village who, while not stolen, became sadly unintentionally involved in the ravages of the cartel. Her mother is an incredibly negative influence.

I finished reading this story, but truly found it way to depressing to recommend. ( )
  Whisper1 | May 23, 2018 |

Jennifer Clementprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hval, NiclasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,396,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible