Foxglove Summer: The Fifth Rivers of London…

Foxglove Summer: The Fifth Rivers of London novel (A Rivers of London… (edition 2015)

by Ben Aaronovitch (Author)

Series: Rivers of London (5)

1,344749,973 (4.03)1 / 160
When two young girls go missing in rural Herefordshire, police constable and wizard-in-training Peter Grant is sent out of London to check that nothing supernatural is involved.
Member:MyOwnWorld
Title:Foxglove Summer: The Fifth Rivers of London novel (A Rivers of London novel)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2015), 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Crime, Fiction

Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch

Recently added bylilinah, sonofabe, private library, MrPikes, dlduncan, dgbdgb, Craigmount

English (71)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (73)
Aaranovitch, Ben. Foxglove Summer. Rivers of London No. 5. Gollancz, 2014.
In Foxglove Summer, Peter Grant (policeman and apprentice wizard) leaves the mean streets of London to help search for two missing children in rural Hertfordshire. Beverly Brook, who you may recall is actually a brook, accompanies him. It turns out that unicorns are involved, and Bev has an agenda of her own. This series continues to be fun, and somewhat educational. But the medicine goes down easily. ( )
  Tom-e | Aug 4, 2020 |
Suffers a bit from middle-book syndrome - the events of the last book and dire warnings about what's presumably coming in the next book overshadow the A-plot. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
An interesting mystery with a not quite typical solution. The hero being chased by semi-visible but definitely blood thirsty unicorns was fun, and I enjoyed Beverly's appearance as usual. I did miss Nightingale in this one, and the ongoing mystery is given a few little touches here and there, but largely relegated to the background. I'm hoping the next brings more focus back on the overarching story. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jul 14, 2020 |
Spoilers for those who have not read books #1 through #4.

Nah.

Seriously. I know I am probably going to get yelled at for this review. But I stand by everything I am saying. This felt like half a book. There were so many dangling threads left that when the book came to an end I had to make sure that I didn't accidentally skip over the pages. The lack of Nightingale being part of things was felt. Peter was being a fool throughout most of the book so that was frustrating. I don't know what we are supposed to be feeling about Lesley. But her coming out with a whole, "I did it for you Peter" mess just made me roll my eyes. I don't know what Ben Aaronovitch is doing with her character.

"Foxglove Summer" has Peter away from London going to help out on a case of two missing girls. Initially, Peter doesn't think that magic had anything to do with the two girls and really wants to stay and help (also to avoid thinking about Lesley) but once magic starts to creep up, he realizes that something supernatural is going on.

Peter was a mess in this one. I get it, it's like what happened to Muller when Scully was MIA. Peter though he is trying to deny it, misses Lesley cause she's not there to point out things he is missing. I really wanted him to be more angry though. At least Nightingale seems to get how dangerous it is that Lesley is out in the world working for the Faceless Man. I didn't like that Peter essentially keeps doing stupid things throughout this book and even in the end, without Beverly helping out, he would have been screwed.

We have Beverly fully in this one, so that is the only reason why I gave this two stars. I still don't understand her and Peter's "relationship" at all. I was just glad they finally stopped with the will they or won't they thing. I just found it very odd she and Peter don't really get into what Lesley did or what exactly does it mean that Peter is sleeping with her.

I don't get what Aaronvitch is doing with Lesley. Okay she betrayed Peter and Nightingale. I kept thinking that she wasn't jealous of Peter and Beverly, but that seems to be where she is at headspace wise. Is this why she is doing this? I hope not, I am not thrilled with her betraying everyone. But if this turns out to be she did this to get her face back so Peter could love her, yuck. It also didn't help that she goes that in a year the Faceless Man is going to ruin the world, but hey Peter I am going to keep you safe. Is she out of her mind? So screw her family, his family, Molly, Nightingale, etc. Only Peter matters? I was just baffled by the whole thing.

There are only phone calls between Peter and Nightingale which was frustrating. At least a new character finally clued us into what the big battle was all about and why Nightingale doesn't want to talk about it though.

I really didn't like anyone besides the character of Dominic who steps into Lesley's shoes and made me laugh. That said, there was very little humor in this one.

The writing was okay, just muddled at times. We don't have Ben Aaronovitch going back to tie things up so I was just confused about a number of plot points.

We know that the two girls are sisters (the fake Nicole and real Nicole) so how did that happen? Also how did everyone in the village sleep with one guy and no one thinks they should be concerned that they may share kids so they should be thinking about what happens when they are all dating age?

Does this mean that Nicole's oldest sister (blanking on her name) is a changeling?

Does this mean that due to Peter reneging on his deal with the Fairy Queen he is going to owe the Rivers?

Also does this mean that Peter is going to get into trouble with Nightingale for getting involved with Beverly?

I had so many questions and wanted to kick something.

The flow was off after a good 20 percent of the book. I found myself getting bored. Without anyone to really bounce things off of, Peter is kind of a boring character.

The setting of Herefordshire was good. I could picture a village that has a touch of magic about it and all of the neighbors knowing each other. I just didn't get a sense for the village as a whole. We stayed focused on the two families, and Dominic's family and that was about it. I wish that Peter had been out and about more with the locals.

The ending was a letdown. I think that Aaronovitch thought he wrapped things up...but yeah not even a little bit. This book felt shorter to me too. It was 333 pages though so it's not that. It just felt like very little got done in this one compared to the other books in the series. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
This continues to be one of the very best UF series out there for a very good reason... It's always the careful attention to detail. Proper if you're a copper.

Honestly, I think this one might have hit me in the feels even more than the previous ones even though the last book's zinger was a doozy. I think it had everything to do with the fact it was a massive hunt for missing children.

Even the magical copper was called in for this one, and good thing, too.

So many of the great reveals in this mystery must remain hidden so I can only be super vague, but suffice to say: I loved the twists and turns this took. Our favorite Brook really shines in here, too.

I simply have no complaints about these books. They're solid, funny, immersive, have great magic scenes, even better police procedural, and the quirk is super. I'm almost starting to get upset that I've only one more book to go. I want to make these last. I want to stay here forever. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Aaronovitch, Benprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part One

Borderlands

In th'olde days of the Kyng Arthour.
Of which that Britons speken greet honour.
Al was this land fulfild of fayerye.
The elf-queene, with hir joly compaignye,
Daunced ful ofte on many a grene mede.

'The Wife of Bath's Tale', Geoffrey Chaucer
Part Two

The Other Country

The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

Eden Phillpotts 'A Shadow Passes' (1919)
This book is dedicated to Sir Terry Pratchett OBE
who has stood like a wossname upon the
rocky shores of our imaginations - the better
to guide us safely into harbour.
I was just passing the Hoover Centre when I heard Mr Punch scream his rage behind me.
Caratacus suffered the double indignity of being taken to Rome in chains and having an opera written about him by Elgar.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,819,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible