The 6th Extinction: A Sigma Force Novel…

The 6th Extinction: A Sigma Force Novel (Sigma Force Novels, 9) (edition 2015)

by James Rollins (Author)

Series: Sigma Force (10)

A remote military research station in Utah sends out a frantic distress call, ending with a chilling final command: Kill us all! Personnel from the neighbouring base rush in to discover everyone already dead - and not just the scientists, but every living thing for fifty square miles has been annihilated. The land is entirely sterile-and the blight is spreading. To halt the inevitable, Commander Gray Pierce and Sigma must unravel a threat that rises out of the distant past, to a time when Antarctica was green and all life on Earth balanced upon the blade of a knife. Following clues from an ancient map rescued from the lost Library of Alexandria, Sigma will discover the truth about an ancient continent, about a new form of death buried under miles of ice.… (more)
Member:Anna214
Title:The 6th Extinction: A Sigma Force Novel (Sigma Force Novels, 9)
Authors:James Rollins (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2015), Edition: Illustrated, 608 pages

The 6th Extinction by James Rollins

Seomthing deadly escapes from a secret government research lab in Northern California, along with a message to "kill us all." A local Park Ranger and her dog go to investigate, and miraculously survive to be joined by Painter Crowe and his fiancee, who are nearby planning their wedding. One team (Gray Pierce) heads off to Antarctica followng a lead from an assault on a major lead, to discover a land of strange beasts survivng under the polar ice cap. The other team (Painter) ends up in northern Brazil, where a presumed dead scientist is genetically manipulating species. Really crazy frenetic for most of the book, this one is a wild ride, even for the Sigma Force series. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I’m a HUGE fan of books that mix science and adventure. Ever since I read Jurassic Park for the first time at age 11 and realized that I could lose myself in a thrilling story AND learn science facts that could potentially increase my winnings on Jeopardy, I was sold. That said, I’m a long time reader of James Rollins. I’ve spent the last ten years anxiously awaiting the release of his latest action packed novel.

I must admit, I enjoyed some of his books more than others. His earliest, which are pretty imaginative, have always been my favorites. At some point in his career, he went mainstream. They were always good, but some of his books were kind of heavy on the gun details and military storylines for my tastes.

When I saw the cover of The 6th Extinction, I got really excited, and for good cause. James Rollins is going back to his roots! The author who brought us piranha-frog hybrids (I know it sounds hokey, but I mean, really, how cool would they be!?!?) is planning on bringing us more outrageous plots laced with true history and credible science. This book was great, a wild ride that I thoroughly enjoyed, and I’m sure his next book will be too! Definitely a book to read if you need a quick reminder that reading should be fun!

Posted in Book Reviews | Tagged #amreading, #amwriting, #booknerd, action, adventure, author, bo ( )
  ShannonHollinger | Feb 15, 2021 |
Another read that is action packed and what you would expect of a Rollins Sigma novel. A few differences in this one with new characters getting more play and some of the originals playing bit parts. And of course there is a dog featured. ( )
  Rick686ID | Jan 27, 2021 |
Review went missing. How does save not working?

Not an easy one to listen. Better to read I think. ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
This left something to be desired. the dialogue was stupid and the plot implausible. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
—CARL SAGAN, THE VARIETIES OF SCIENTIFIC EXPERIENCE (2007)
To David,
who keeps me both grounded and flying high . . .
not an easy feat!
December 27, 1832
Aboard the HMS Beagle

We should have heeded the blood…
(page 25)

D.A.R.W.I.N.
(pages 150-151)

Now Chil the Kite brings home the night
That Mang the Bat sets free—
The herds are shut in byre and hut,
For loosed  till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.
O hear the call! —Good Hunting, All
That keep the Jungle Law!
(page 165)

FIVE HOURS AND NO SIGN OF TRANSMISSION.
(page 165)

ASSESSMENT: INFECTIOUS PARTICLE MUST
BE UNDER 15 NANOMETERS IN SIZE.

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,635,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible