Jesus: A Pilgrimage by James Martin

Jesus: A Pilgrimage (edition 2016)

by James Martin (Author)

"James Martin, SJ, gifted storyteller, editor at large of America magazine, popular media commentator, and New York Times bestselling author of The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything, brings the Gospels to life in Jesus: A Pilgrimage, and invites believers and seekers alike to experience Jesus through Scripture, prayer and travel. Combining the fascinating insights of historical Jesus studies with profound spiritual insights about the Christ of faith, Father Martin recreates the world of first-century Galilee and Judea to usher you into Jesus's life and times and show readers how Jesus speaks to us today. Martin also brings together the most up-to-date Scripture scholarship, wise spiritual reflections, and lighthearted stories about traveling through the Holy Land with a fellow (and funny) Jesuit, visiting important sites in the life of Jesus of Nazareth. The person at the heart of the Gospels can seem impossibly distant. Stories about his astonishing life and ministry--clever parables that upended everyone's expectations, incredible healings that convinced even skeptics, nature miracles that dazzled the dumbstruck disciples--can seem far removed from our own daily lives, hard to understand, and at times irrelevant. But in Jesus you will come to know him as Father Martin knows him: Messiah and Savior, as well as friend and brother"--… (more)
Member:Coopway
Title:Jesus: A Pilgrimage
Authors:James Martin (Author)
Info:HarperOne (2016), Edition: Reprint, 560 pages

Jesus: A Pilgrimage by James Martin SJ

Well-written with many interesting points about the human condition, but, as I should have expected from a Jesuit author, a bit too literal about the miracles and the supernatural for my liking.

Plus, a really great memoir shows change in the author, how they went from one state to another, and this book just didn’t have that. Very little change, mostly reinforcement of what he already believed. ( )
  evenlake | Mar 23, 2021 |
  StFrancisofAssisi | Oct 12, 2019 |
If there is a book guide you need to a pilgrimage to the Holy Land that accompanies spiritual and theological reflections, this is it. I read this book as part of my Lenten reflection for this year and I must say that it made Jesus's life and his time come alive to me. The Gospel stories which more often than not had become familiar overtime were told in such a way that it showed varied angles and brought light and depth to its meaning as it considered the context & the time it was written. It was like going to the pilgrimage myself with Fr. Martin as my guide.
Aside from his travel writings and his reflections, it incorporates insights from theologians, archaeologists and biblical scholars to bring the reader to understand more about the times in which Jesus lived.
If you are drawn into knowing Jesus more, this is another book that helps us know the historical Jesus better in order that we may give way to experience him fully in our lives. ( )
  Rheena | Feb 23, 2018 |

The person at the heart of the Gospels can seem impossibly distant. Stories about his astonishing life and ministry—clever parables that upended everyone's expectations, incredible healings that convinced even skeptics, nature miracles that dazzled the dumbstruck disciples—can seem far removed from our own daily lives, hard to understand, and at times irrelevant. But in Jesus you will come to know him as Father Martin knows him: Messiah and Savior, as well as friend and brother.
  tony_sturges | Jan 30, 2018 |
I read this directly after Girzone's book and wasn't disappointed. Martin takes us along to the sites where Jesus ministered, and I could envision the places he wrote about and feel the oppressive heat of the Middle Eastern sun.

The author also referenced New Testament scripture in the original Greek language and that breathed new life and context to the old Bible stories.

I discuss the book on my podcast Jesus in Books: https://soundcloud.com/jesusinbooks/jesus-a-pilgrimage-by-james-martin ( )
  jasoncomely | Dec 28, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

James Martin's book Jesus: A Pilgrimage was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,387,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible