The Scent of Pine: A Novel by Lara Vapnyar

The Scent of Pine: A Novel

by Lara Vapnyar

"A community college professor whose career has stagnated, and a wife and mother whose marriage has tumbled into a spiral of apathy and distrust, Lena is frustrated at the seeming "impossibility of happiness." As Lena makes her way to present a paper at a remote New England conference, a chance encounter with an old schoolmate a once average-seeming teenager who has since achieved international fame as a human rights advocate-catapults Lena into memories of their life changing summer together, as counselors at a summer camp in the backwoods of rural Russia during the massive cultural changes of perestroika in the 1980s"--… (more)

A lot of people didn't like this book, for a variety of reasons, many of them valid. I enjoyed it because it presented a subject I have never read about before - summer sleep away camp in the Soviet Union (!), and I loved the way the author unfolded her story. It was a quick, enticing read that I had a hard time putting down, flaws and all. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,777,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible