How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still…

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of… (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Scott Adams (Author)

"Dilbert creator Scott Adams offers his most personal book ever -- a funny memoir of his many failures and what they eventually taught him about success. How do you go from hapless office worker to world-famous cartoonist and bestselling author in just a few years? No career guide can answer that, and not even Scott Adams (who actually did it) can give you a road map that works for everyone. But there's a lot to learn from his personal story, and a lot of humor along the way. In How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Adams admits that he failed at just about everything he's tried, including his corporate career, his inventions, his investments, and his two restaurants. But along the way, Adams discovered some truths you're unlikely to find anywhere else. "--… (more)
Member:memocan
Title:How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life
Authors:Scott Adams (Author)
Info:Portfolio (2014), Edition: Reprint, 256 pages
Tags:to-read

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life by Scott Adams (2014)

Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Adams suggest having "systems" rather than goals. Developing good habits appears to be a key system in Adams' approach to success and Rubin's book elaborates on how to do that. These two books therefore complement each other.

Summary of one guy's thoughts on success. Worth reading as an introduction to the life of an interesting person, but the ideas are similar to those that are more well-articulated elsewhere (e.g. Cal Newport) ( )
  richardSprague | Mar 22, 2020 |
As what the author mentioned, simplicity is good. You can optimize later if you need to. I used to scrutinize over every single word that an author mentioned and visualised everything the author is trying to convey but now I will take the story I need currently. For example, there was a story about how he played Tennis. Since I have little interest in becoming a Pro-Tennis player, I skip visualising the part and just focus on the main points that the author wanted to convey.

The book is great imo (Maybe I started loving books in general and just taking 1 or 2 great ideas from the book is awesome for me.) but there are parts which you can skip if you want to. The author covers many things in this book and it became a mini-wisdom on many topics. But yet again, he is able to link them all up through his success system. This book won't make you a master at one thing but it gives you some tips to live your life better. ( )
  Wendy_Wang | Sep 28, 2019 |

Jason.Ong.Wicky | May 2, 2019 |
In a nutshell, Adams advocates "systems, not goals." If you want to read something that is more concisely written on the subject, Hunter S. Thompson covered it years ago in a letter to a friend that you can find for free online. Read that instead. ( )
  AdmiralAckbar | Oct 22, 2018 |
I don't really know what possessed me to buy this book. I generally do not like Dilbert. But I bought it and have now finally read it and it seems to be pretty good advice. I feel I'm fairly late in life and unimaginative to go into "success" now, but there were some helpful tips in here, and his emphasis on rest, exercise, and diet were interesting.

Adams did not fail in the sense of being completely unemployed and living hand to mouth. He always had a 9-5 job. He failed at his other projects, which were all aimed at making him lots of money. So this is not really a rags to riches story. But his suggestions seem solid. ( )
  glade1 | Oct 27, 2017 |

Scott Adamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lawlor, PatrickReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you're already as successful as you want to be, both personally and professionally, all you are likely to get from this book is a semientertaining tale about a guy who failed his way to success.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,782,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible