Asterix and the Picts

by Jean-Yves Ferri, Didier Conrad (Illustrator)

Series: Asterix (35)

When Asterix and Obelix rescue a mysterious Pict named MacAroon, they must journey to Caledonia, now Scotland, to return him to his lady love, Camomilla, the adopted daughter of the old king. However, the treacherous chieftain, MacCabeus, plans to marry her and claim the throne - with the help of the Romans! What with caber-tossing, bagpipes, malted water and an enormous otter in the loch, can the Gauls reunite MacAroon and Camomilla and enjoy some Roman-bashing along the way?… (more)

English (7)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (11)
I haven't read Asterix since I was a teenager, and my memory may be foggy, but this just didn't seem to hold up to the quality of the old books. ( )
  Enno23 | Aug 15, 2021 |
This is the first Asterix album not featuring the work of Goscinny or Underzo and I therefore approached it with trepidation; would it be any good? Would the new artist capture the style and likenesses well? Would the new writer be sympathetic to the history of 34 preceding volumes?

Short answer; yes to both.

Ferri conforms more closely to the Uderzo formula, with our heroes travelling abroad for an adventure that pokes gentle fun at national stereotypes and cultural touchstones, whilst thwarting a Roman plot and bringing back some of the traditional aspects of our characters, like their very short tempers, which fell by the way somewhat when Uderzo was writing. On the other hand, Uderzo's more outlandish, fantastical ideas are not entirely abandoned, either, with a (predictable) character showing up and turning out to be a tremendous addition to the story.

A really good first effort by the new team - I'm now looking forward happily to more from them. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
Asterix and the Picts is an encouraging, if somewhat uneven, contribution to the long-running Asterix comic book series. I grew up with this stuff, so I will always appreciate any new offering that appeals to my sense of nostalgia, and Picts has certainly encouraged me to dig out some of my old Asterix albums from my childhood and flick through them again. But looking at it dispassionately, this isn't a classic Asterix adventure. It certainly isn't a return to the highs of the Goscinny years, but it is on the same level as the later Uderzo-written albums and it doesn't feel like an imposter or a pretender, or a cash-in to continue the franchise. The Asterix books still have their heart and still have our affection, but they don't really have the laughs or the thrills that they used to. The plotting of Picts is uneven (there is an elixir MacGuffin which turns out to be a red herring) and the new characters largely unmemorable (MacAroon lacks presence and the Roman centurion and the treacherous chieftain both lack malevolence and guile). A lot of the jokes also seem to fall flat, and the plot at times seems like a pale hybrid imitation of Asterix in Britain and Asterix and the Great Divide. But as a nostalgia trip, it is worth a look. And, of course, the older fans like myself are not really the target audience any more. But I think if I had a kid and I gave him Asterix and the Picts to read, he wouldn't fall in love with the Gaul's adventures to anything like the same extent that I did reading Asterix and the Cauldron, Asterix in Britain and Asterix the Gladiator when I was younger. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Mar 19, 2017 |
I first heard about the Scots translation of this book (Astérix and the Pechts) and thought "THAT SOUNDS AWESOME". I ended up reading the English version, translated from the French by Anthea Bell, and it was very good. I was constantly groaning at all the punny names and laughing at all the turns the story was taking. Lovers of puns and Scotland would probably like this book. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 28, 2015 |
This was the first time in along time that I laughed out loud at an Asterix book. The new writer-illustrator team is a great improvement over the great illustrator Uderzo's sad performance when he tried to do his own writing after the passing of Goscinny. This doesn't have all the flavor of the original, but it's quite fun. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |

Ferri, Jean-YvesAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conrad, DidierIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jöken, KlausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, Alun CeriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selten hielt ein strengerer Winter das ansonsten so heitere Aremorica in seinen klirrenden Klauen gefangen.
Narratio argentea = Reden ist Silber

Μπορεί να έχουμε συνηθίσει στα μικρά παγάκια, όμως τον παλιό καλό καιρό των γαλατών, υπήρχαν παγάκια που χωρούσαν έναν ολοκληρο πολεμιστή! Μάλιστα! και όταν αυτός προέρχονταν από την μακρινή Καληδονία, αυτή που σήμερα ξέρουμε σαν Σκωτία τα πράγματα σοβαρεύουν και περιπλέκονται ακόμα περισσότερο όταν οι γαλάτες που όλοι καλά γνωρίζουμε πρέπει να αποκρυπτογραφήσουν τα περίεργα πικτογράμματα με τα οποία κοσμούν τα σώματα τους και όχι μόνο οι γενναίοι πολεμιστές της μακρινής χώρας. Ενα ταξίδι θα τους οδηγήσει στο μέσον μιας διαμάχης για την εξουσία ή την υποταγή χωρίς να λείπει βέβαια και η αγάπη που όλα τα υπομένει και που από μόνη της είναι πολλές φορές κίνητρο πίσω από κάθε ήρωα...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ferri, Jean-Yves.
Ο Asterix στους Πίκτους / Jean-Yves Ferri · εικονογράφηση Didier Conrad. - Αθήνα : Μαμούθ Comix, 2018. - 48σ. : εικ. · 28x21εκ. - (Asterix · 36)
gre
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: γαλλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: Asterix ches les Pictes
ISBN 978-960-321-551-6 (Μαλακό εξώφυλλο) [Κυκλοφορεί]
741.5

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,226,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible