Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

Delicious!

by Ruth Reichl

I love novels based on food! Add an interesting collection of characters to the story, set it in New York City and give it a Cinderella spin and you’ve got me hooked. ( )
  brangwinn | Mar 30, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book full of tastes and love of food, as well as a parallel mystery about letters written during WWII. It is a story of love and loss, and of finding oneself. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Digital audiobook performed by Julia Whelan
3.5***

Adapted from the book jacket: Billie Breslin has left her California home for New York City and a job at Delicious!, an iconic food magazine. She feels like a fish out of water and writes long letters to her older sister, Genie. But she is welcomed by the colorful staff, and seduced by the vibrant food scene. In the magazine’s library Billie uncovers a secret cache of letters written during WW2. She feels a powerful connection to the girl who wrote those letters, and they help Billie come to terms with her own fears and anxieties.

My reactions
I’ve read several of Reichl’s memoirs and really enjoyed them. Now she’s taken a turn at writing a novel.

This is part romance, part coming-of-age, part mystery. I enjoyed the story and was caught up in the intrigue, but it didn’t bake quite long enough. Though she’s the central characters, Billie seemed a little under-developed; perhaps Reichl was trying too hard to make her interesting. I really liked Sal, Rosie and Mitch, and grew to appreciate Sammy. I loved the letters from the 12-year-old Lulu during WW2, and that part of the story really drew me in. However, Reichl really shines when she is writing about food. I can practically taste the cheeses, smell the spices, and feel the warmth of steam rising from a simmering pot.

All-in-all, I found it enjoyable and entertaining. A great beach read. (And since that’s where I was reading it, I’ll round up to 4 stars.)

The audiobook is narrated by the wonderful Julia Whelan. She is a very talented voice artist and I particularly loved the voices she used for Sal and Lulu. I found her Sammy a bit much, but that really a small quibble. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | Jan 6, 2019 |
I really enjoyed both the characters and the story line / plot development. Plus, Reichl's fabulous food descriptions left my mouth watering. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
Not my usual fare, but I enjoyed the story very much. Reading about the food scene in NYC was interesting and I liked the element of the WW II letters and the mystery surrounding them. ( )
  MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"
History is the story we tell the future about the past, and we have an obligation to get it right.
I thought that when people spoke of someone's face 'lighting up,' it was merely a figure of speech.
The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is s if it knows that you're afraid if it.

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ruth Reichl's book Delicious! was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,532,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible