Miss Landon and Aubranael by Charlotte E.…

Miss Landon and Aubranael (2013)

by Charlotte E. English

Jane Austen writes Susanna Clarke by way of Georgette Heyer is probably the best way to describe this book. Light, but well-written, and enough to hold my attention while dipping in and out on my daily commute (I've been reading a lot of anthologies lately rather than full-length novels). I liked it enough to move the other 2 books in the series up my TBR pile and to pick up some more titles in the Smashwords sale.

Ayldenhame is reminiscent of Pat Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles but grittier; probably more like Faerie in [[Stardust]].
  Maddz | Jul 23, 2017 |
Miss Landon and Aubranael fell through the cracks, and I regret that. I read it – quite a while ago, in fact – and I enjoyed it – very much, in fact. But somehow I never wrote a word of a review, despite the fact that I received it through LibraryThing's Member Giveaway.

It takes place in a really lovely fairy tale-esque world, in which Miss Landon (Sophy) is the only one who can see her friends Balligumph the Troll and Thundigle the Brownie. She has been having a difficult time, and an attempt to cheer her up by Balligumph goes a little off-kilter when she finds herself (to her surprise) in Faerie, which has hazards she had never anticipated. And there she meets Aubraneal, and Felebre his feline(ish) companion, and while it's not quite love at first sight it's pretty darn close. But she has to return to her own Austen-esque place … and when Aubraneal takes an opportunity to follow her there in disguise, lessons are learned and love is earned.

It's a charming story, with a different flavor of elfland and of a place like Regency era England but not quite. I loved it – and I really am sorry it took this long to find and post a review.

A quote I saved:
She felt that she had been deluding herself for years; hiding from the truths she did not wish to think about, setting them aside in favour of finding some little enjoyment, some small piece of comfort in her life; setting herself up, in short, for the terrible predicament in which she now found herself. But it had not been in her power to do very much more than she had. ( )
  Stewartry | May 11, 2016 |
I fell in love with this charming story. The author's writing drew me into the world she has created, and what a wonderful world it is. The characters are well developed, and I love the narrative bits by Balli. Sophy is a character I really related to, even though the time period is not present day. I look forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  TaraAnderson | Aug 25, 2015 |
Miss Sophia "Sophy" Landon is something of a misfit in her hometown of Tilby. Sophy's constant friends are Balligumph the Troll and Thundigle the Brownie. Both of them keep Sophy from feeling too lonely for companionship. When Balligumph gives Sophy will'o wisp that takes her to Aylfenhame or Faerie never realizing how much her world is about to change. Aubranael is an Ayliri or Elf that has been disfigured long ago and considered an outcast and misfit. Aubranael's only companion is Felebre the Cat doesn't realize how lonely his life has become upon meeting Sophy. Aubranael desires to become handsome in order to be someone else to approach Sophy. Sophy will not let any man pity her for her circumstances including Mr. Aubrey Stanton. Unbeknownst to Sophy is that Mr. Stanton is really Aubranael. A series of misunderstanding befall Aubranael and Sophy. Will Sophy learn the truth? Will Aubranael realize his mistake? Will either Aubranael or Sophy find happiness? Your answers await you in Miss Landon and Aubranael.

I found this story to be enchanting and unique. Both Sophy and Aubranael are very shy people and won't put themselves forward no matter the benefit to themselves. I found Balligumph and Thundigle to be steadfast friends. I'll definitely consider reading more of this author's work. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | May 7, 2014 |

A historical Regency romance blended with fantasy and fairytale.

Tilby, Lincolnshire, 1811. Miss Sophia Landon is the daughter of an impoverished clergyman. Her father’s health is failing fast, but who wants to marry a woman without birth, beauty or wealth? Her prospects are limited indeed - until her friendship with the town’s fae denizens earns her passage to the otherworldly realm of Aylfenhame. Could her fate truly lie beyond the shores of England?

There she meets Aubranael, a young man with a warm heart and a ruined face. In Sophy he sees the answer to his loneliness, but how can a disfigured Ayliri hope to win her heart? When a mysterious witch offers him the temporary gift of beauty, he eagerly accepts: and so begins an adventure that could change his life, and Sophy’s, forever. [retrieved 9/14/2016 from Amazon.com]

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Charlotte E. English's book Miss Landon and Aubranael was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Charlotte E. English is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible