Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Heir of Fire (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Sarah J. Maas (Author)

Member:xicanti
Title:Heir of Fire
Authors:Sarah J. Maas (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2015), Edition: Reprint, 592 pages
Collections:Library Books, Electronic, Electronic (Library), Read but unowned
Tags:fantasy, magic users, young adult, american, 2017

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas (2014)

sarah why do you hurt me like this ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
We follow Celaena after the tragic and adventurous events that transpired in Rifthold and that led to her assignment to Wendlyn and secrets that were revealed. We meet a few more characters, including Rowan (a fae warrior and my new fave), Aedion (a Terrasen general) and Manon (a witch) while alternating between different locations but over the same few months. We also meet some cool creatures (wyverns aka dragons) and demons that will give you the creeps.

I have several mixed feelings about this one.

First, I LOVED books 1 and 2 - mainly because Celaena was a sassy badass assassin and didn't let anyone push her around. In this book, however, she spent 500 pages throwing herself a pity party and wishing to die. I get it, the stuff that happened in book 2 broke her and she had to be able to come back from it to become powerful and hone in her own destiny but holy shit, get over yourself. If you hate yourself so much, jump off a cliff. It annoyed me to no end and made me not want to read the book anymore.

Secondly, there are entirely too many story lines and POVs. I appreciate all of the details and the richness of the story and everything going on to set up book 4 but it was too much. We could've easily done away with Dorian's and Manon's story lines and learned about them through flashbacks in book 4. Even Chaol's story could've been told later on. Additionally, the book was entirely too long. There was no need to have everything drag on the way it did and not even have any action! I was bored and didn't care to continue.

Lastly, WHY IS THERE NO MAP OF WENDLYN?!?! How the hell do we have an entire new continent that 2/3 of the story takes place on and there is no map?! There were so many locations and points mentioned that had no visual reference - get it together Maas. Totally unacceptable.

Overall, I LOVE the world. I love the magic, the story, the mythology, the overall feel of the story and where I think it's going (even if I see wayyyyy too much of A Song of Ice and Fire in this...way to copy half the story). I hear the next book is better. I hear the whining is over and Celaena goes back to being a badass. I really hope so because I am enjoying the world so much and would be disappointed after nearly 1,400 pages to not want to continue the series. ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
Review to come ( )
  mspoet569 | Aug 18, 2018 |
Too long and too slow. Didn't really get good until the last half. Then when I thought the book was finished I realized I still had 50 pages to go. Don't know if I'm going to read the next one or not. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
Even though I miss everyone together - I feel like I learned so much about everyone. Celeana is lost and needs someone there for her. Rowan, yet another stoic person in her life, is her trainer and rivals her aggression. Chaol... he's honestly made me lost interest in him as he battles between being loyal and a friend. Dorian is another lost could when he finds his friends don't trust him and his fear of his magic. Then there is Mannon, a witch with a heart. I really enjoyed everything and couldn't put this down. There was something towards the end I didn't particularly care for but other than that I loved Rowan and Celaena's friendship/bickering, Dorian coming into his own, and just the presence of Aedion. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Again, for Susan - Whose friendship changed my life for the better and gave this book its heart.
Gods, it was boiling in this useless excuse for a kingdom.

Royal assassin Celaena must travel to a new land to confront a truth about her heritage, while brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,966,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible