Adiós, muñeca by Raymond Chandler

Adiós, muñeca (original 1940; edition 2001)

by Raymond Chandler

Series: Philip Marlowe (2)

Eight years ago Moose Malloy and cute little redhead Velma were getting married - until someone framed Malloy for armed robbery. Now his stretch is up and he wants Velma back. PI Philip Marlow meets Malloy one hot day in Hollywood and, out of the generosity of his jaded heart, agrees to help him. Dragged from one smoky bar to another, Marlowe's search for Velma turns up plenty of dangerous gangsters with a nasty habit of shooting first and talking later. And soon what started as a search for a missing person becomes a matter of life and death . . .… (more)
Member:kchalot
Title:Adiós, muñeca
Authors:Raymond Chandler
Info:Madrid, Alianza Editorial, 2001.

Work Information

Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (1940)

English (89)  Spanish (4)  All languages (93)
The sarcasm throughout the book is used to great effect in Chandler’s descriptions. This probably why I read him. The book is racist and dark and twisted. It seems to me that the story is much darker then “The Big Sleep”. If you enjoy noir I think you’ll enjoy this. Personally I’d prefer something a little lighter, something like Christopher Moore’s “Noir” which I read recently and enjoyed so much I thought I’d give the real thing a try.

The house itself was not so much. It was smaller than Buckingham Palace, rather gray for California, and probably had fewer windows than the Chrysler Building.

She poured us some more Scotch. It didn't seem to affect her any more than water affects Boulder Dam.

She began to laugh---a high-pitched old woman's laugh. "April Fool's Day," she tittered. "Maybe she won't get it." I left her laughing. The sound was like a hen having hiccups.

After I take some time to recover I think I'll try the next book in the series. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
If you can put aside the virulent racism in this one, there’s a great twisty noir tale. But it is, admittedly, difficult to ignore or make excuses for the big bag of racism in Chandler’s second Marlowe novel. ( )
  Joe901 | Nov 2, 2021 |
The Best Hardboiled Novel Ever?
Review of the Random House Audio audiobook (2021) narrated by Scott Brick of the original Alfred A. Knopf hardcover edition "Farewell, My Lovely" (1940)

[5 rating, especially for the narration performance in the audiobook]
"But this Hemingway stuff is what really has me down."
"A gag," I said. "An old, old gag."
"Who is this Hemingway person at all?"
"A guy that keeps saying the same thing over and over until you begin to believe it must be good."
"That must take a hell of a long time," the big man said.
- dialogue excerpt from Chapter 24 of Farewell, My Lovely
I've read Raymond Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely several times. The first time was probably as early as 1975, since I still own a copy of the Robert Mitchum movie tie-in edition [book:Farewell, My Lovely|7148395]. I still find new dialogue and metaphors to enjoy though, such as the above exchange between a heavy-handed cop whom Marlowe keeps calling Hemingway for no apparent reason. Hemingway wasn't offended by the swipe at his early Gertrude Stein influenced repetition style though. He called Chandler the only detective novelist worth reading.

Audible recently made this 2021 audiobook edition a $5 Special Offer and I snapped it up immediately as it has the great veteran audiobook narrator Scott Brick as its reader. I then discovered that there is an entire 2021 Raymond Chandler / Philip Marlowe series narrated by Brick, so I'm bound to get a few more of them in the future. They share the cover art with the 1988 Vintage Crime / Black Lizard paperbacks, presumably due to a Random House umbrella tie-in.

Farewell, My Lovely was formed by Chandler recycling 3 of his earlier short stories. These come together very well unlike some later Chandler books where plot points sometimes remained unresolved. It is the atmosphere and characterization that is the key draw and the actual solving of the crimes is almost secondary.

As expected, the narration by Scott Brick was excellent. Chapter intermissions were highlighted by the use of film noir-like music to heighten the atmosphere.

Other Reviews
The DetNovel.com summary via Web.Archive details the plot (Spoilers Obviously) but is excellent for explaining several literary allusions in Chandler's metaphors.

Trivia and Links
Farewell, My Lovely has been adapted three times for film, although the early versions did not use the book's title. The 1975 version directed by Dick Richards had Robert Mitchum in the Philip Marlowe role and a trailer can be seen here and the entire film here. This version, although reasonably faithful overall, has an increased level of gunfights, making it seem like more of a mob movie.

The 1944 version was released under the title Murder My Sweet dir. Edward Emytryk with Dick Powell in the Philip Marlowe role. A trailer can be seen here.

The 1942 version used the Raymond Chandler plot and adapted it as the 3rd outing for actor George Sanders' series character The Falcon in The Falcon Take Over dir. Irving Reis. I did not find a trailer for it. ( )
  alanteder | Sep 25, 2021 |
Chandler is a master writer. Classic style. Not for kids, though. And there was enough swearing in it to make me pass over him in the future. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
P.I. Philip Marlowe gets caught up in an investigation when he meets Moose Malloy, who is looking for Velma, the love of his life
A great well-written and entertaining re-read ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

It was one of the mixed blocks over on Central Avenue, the blocks that are not yet all Negro.

Marlowe's about to give up on a completely routine case when he finds himself in the wrong place at the right time to get caught up in a murder that leads to a ring of jewel thieves, another murder, a fortune-teller, a couple more murders, and more corruption than your average graveyard.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,613,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible