By Stephen King Mr. Mercedes: A Novel (1ST)

By Stephen King Mr. Mercedes: A Novel (1ST) (original 2014; edition 2014)

"In a mega-stakes, high-suspense race against time, three of the most unlikely and winning heroes Stephen King has ever created try to stop a lone killer from blowing up thousands. In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes. In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the "perk" and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy. Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands. Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable"--… (more)
Member:sik7
Title:By Stephen King Mr. Mercedes: A Novel (1ST)
Authors:
Info:Scribner (2014)

Work Information

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King (2014)

Finders Keepers by Stephen King (sturlington, Anonymous user)
    sturlington: Finders Keepers is the sequel to Mr. Mercedes
    The Outsider by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Cross-over character.

English (304)  Italian (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (313)
Este señor podría escribir un recetario de dulces para Semana Santa y me resultaría ameno. Pensé que su incursión en un género que me produce cierto sopor como es la novela negra iba a causarme rechazo, pero me he bebido las páginas del libro como si fueran una copa de buena... Ehm... Coca-Cola Light. Cada uno tiene sus taras.

De hecho, la facilidad con la que lo he leído (ha durado cuatro días) me induce a pensar que las editoriales publican los libros en formatos de letra grande y mucho espacio para que la gente no se agobie y, además, cobrar más a los clientes con la excusa del tamaño, pero un tipo de letra más pequeño y un formato más ajustado no le vendría mal a esta edición: cabrían más libros a su lado y no habría que comprar estanterías nuevas.

Lo que no termino de entender es cómo va a encajar en los otros dos volúmenes de la trilogía el gancho con el que termina este, parece difícil que el Maestro no salte el tiburón sin suspender la incredulidad. Siento tanta curiosidad que voy a empezar a leer el siguiente ahora mismo; lo único que lamento es que el castellano sea el último idioma al que se esté traduciendo la tercera parte porque la que compra estos libros es mi madre y está comiéndose las uñas por la espera. ( )
  tecniferio | May 12, 2022 |
I went back and forth on this one. It's certainly nowhere near as good as King's best (what is?) but it is very readable and the first novel of his I've finished since Cell (having read pretty much all of them up to that point). It lacks the heart of his classics, and the treatment of race feels a bit laboured and dated after a while, but the characters are likeable or hateable as appropriate and it's gripping, especially the last 25% which is great. Probably more of a 3.5* than a 4* but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for old times sake. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
I enjoyed this one a lot! I like Stephen King better when he writes non-supernatural thriller stuff. ( )
  maryellencg | Jan 8, 2022 |
Over the course of a couple days, I listened to Will Patton narrate Mr. Mercedes as I read along on my Kindle. Beginning with the heartpulling story of Augie, Patricia, and her baby as they waited in line in the early morning fog for the promise of a job that probably wouldn't happen, their scene comes to a grisly and traumatic end.

I'm a life-long Stephen King reader. I own everything he has written as hardbacks on several shelves of my home library. He could probably publish his laundry list, but so long as he kept the same colloquial warmth and characters, I'd be writing here how much I enjoyed it.

In Mr Mercedes, Stephen King writes a murder-mystery from the perspective of the victims, the killer, and the detective who is hunting him down. Unfortunately for Stephen King, Tami Hoag, Peter Straub, and Stieg Larson are much more experienced in this genre than he is. What Stephen King brings to the table his style, his colloquial characters, his warmth. Mr Mercedes is "Stand By Me meets the Green River Killer"

I enjoyed Mr Mercedes, I wanted to really enjoy it, I wanted to love it. It lacked the cold, hard light of day that Peter Straub brings to murder-horror. It lacked the grisly play of words and human damnation of Tami Hoag and Stieg Larson. Having read better murder mysteries and horror, I appreciate Stephen King's novel for what it is. I'd still recommend it to others, just temper it with "not the finest example of this genre, but still good." ( )
  Tayledras | Nov 16, 2021 |

Tayledras | Nov 16, 2021 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thinking of James M. Cain

They threw me off the hay truck about noon...
Augie Odenkirk had a 1997 Datsun that still ran well in spite of high mileage, but gas was expensive, especially for a man with no job, and City Center was on the far side of town, so he decided to take the last bus of the night.

In the predawn hours, in a distressed American city, hundreds of unemployed men and women line up for the opening of a job fair. They are tired and cold and desperate. Emerging from the fog, invisible until it is too late, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

Months later, an ex-cop named Bill Hodges, still haunted by the unsolved crime, contemplates suicide. When he gets a crazed letter from "the perk", claiming credit for the murders, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, fearing another even more diabolical attack and hell-bent on preventing it.

Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of eccentric and mis-matched allies can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,942,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible