Mr. Mercedes: A Novel (The Bill Hodges…

Mr. Mercedes: A Novel (The Bill Hodges Trilogy) (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Stephen King (Author)

"In a mega-stakes, high-suspense race against time, three of the most unlikely and winning heroes Stephen King has ever created try to stop a lone killer from blowing up thousands. In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes. In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the "perk" and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy. Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands. Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable"--… (more)
Member:BookBrad14
Title:Mr. Mercedes: A Novel (The Bill Hodges Trilogy)
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 448 pages

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King (2014)

Finders Keepers by Stephen King (sturlington, Anonymous user)
    sturlington: Finders Keepers is the sequel to Mr. Mercedes
    The Outsider by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Cross-over character.

English (297)  Italian (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (306)
Whenever King addresses his "Constant Reader" in his forewords or afterwords, I am one of those readers he's referring to. I've been with him right from the beginning and I've read everything he's put out. And though I don't enjoy his as much as I used to, and every so often I get ready to write him off as having lost the touch, he comes back. For every Under the Dome, there's an 11/22/63, for every Doctor Sleep there's a Joyland.

And for me, after the high expectation and low enjoyment of Doctor Sleep, I really wanted another book that made me confident of King again. He promised horror with Sleep and I didn't get it. I didn't have high expectations for Mr. Mercedes, but hey, it's King, and for the most part, a King on his worst day is better than a lot of popular, best-selling authors on their best (I'm looking at you, Dan Brown), so of course I'm gonna give his latest a go.

The set up didn't really intrigue me, but King's writing quickly pulled me in and I found myself quickly rolling through the story. It unfolded in King's easy, natural way, though, to be honest, there was a couple of times when I found myself questioning the order of certain things. Hodges decides to really go after the Mercedes Killer before a pivotal event concerning Janey, that I really felt should have fallen after.

Yes, there were times when I rolled my eyes and thought, no, really Hodges, if you were half the cop you were made out to be, you would have handed this off long ago, or you wouldn't have put your friends in the danger you did, or you would have anticipated some of this.

But, for each instance as that, he wowed me with other parts. The Janey character was enjoyable, but Holly was a standout. One of the best characters he'd built in years. The relationship between Hartfield and his mother was uncomfortable and creepy. Not horror, necessarily, but horrible, in all the right ways.

But the standout for me was King's scenes at the Round Here concert, particularly with Jerome's mother and sister absolutely crackled for me. They were as real as anything I've experienced in life. I find it stunningly rare that an author can capture the excitement of a concert. Many have tried and virtually all have failed in my opinion, but here, King does it...with his fictional boy band, of all things.

Overall, while I wouldn't call this one of his standouts, it's definitely better than his average. I dug it. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
One of the more conventional of King's stories, but a neat dissection of a crazy mind. Well, two, actually.
It does last 21 hours, for a story which might have been told in, well, 2, without losing the essentials. But I'm glad King took his time - as so often eith him, it's the details that make the authenticity.
Just like in "The Outsider", I still don't like (I know the order is different) the character of Holly Gibney. See there for details.
  Kindlegohome | Aug 30, 2021 |
I couldn't stop reading this book, I just had to know what happened next. It is a great story I never once lost interest in any part. Loved it ( )
  debbiedd24 | Jul 21, 2021 |
So I have given this a try in both book and audio form. Its just not interesting to me. So I am done and I give up.
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Bill Hodges is a retired police detective with nothing to do when he is contacted by the sociopath who killed a bunch of innocents waiting for a job fair by driving a stolen Mercedes through the crowd. Bill has no friends, except a young bright black kid who helps with yard and house maintenance. For idiotic and unexplainable reasons, Bill decides he will capture the "one who got away" without police assistance, twisting the killer's tail without considering that he and his rag tag team will become targets. The book moves along at a good pace, but many aspects are too hard to believe, such as his relationship with the Mercedes' owner's sister and cousin. Nevertheless, the characters, including the villain are interesting: 3.5 stars. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thinking of James M. Cain

They threw me off the hay truck about noon...
Augie Odenkirk had a 1997 Datsun that still ran well in spite of high mileage, but gas was expensive, especially for a man with no job, and City Center was on the far side of town, so he decided to take the last bus of the night.

In the predawn hours, in a distressed American city, hundreds of unemployed men and women line up for the opening of a job fair. They are tired and cold and desperate. Emerging from the fog, invisible until it is too late, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

Months later, an ex-cop named Bill Hodges, still haunted by the unsolved crime, contemplates suicide. When he gets a crazed letter from "the perk", claiming credit for the murders, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, fearing another even more diabolical attack and hell-bent on preventing it.

Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of eccentric and mis-matched allies can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,246,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible