Grim (Anthology 17-in-1) (2014)

by Christine Johnson (Editor)

Other authors: Sarah Rees Brennan (Contributor), Kimberly Derting (Contributor), Sonia Gensler (Contributor), Tessa Gratton (Contributor), Claudia Gray (Contributor)12 more, Rachel Hawkins (Contributor), Amanda Hocking (Contributor), Ellen Hopkins (Contributor), Shaun David Hutchinson (Contributor), Christine Johnson (Contributor), Julie Kagawa (Contributor), Malinda Lo (Contributor), Myra McEntire (Contributor), Saundra Mitchell (Contributor), Jackson Pearce (Contributor), Jon Skovron (Contributor), Jeri Smith-Ready (Contributor)

20712112,406 (3.95)2
A collection of stories inspired by fairy tales, but all featuring a dark and sinister twist.

Este libro lo leí hace un buen tiempo, no sé por qué no traje la reseña antes. Creo que es el hecho que sean varias historias cortas muy disparejas lo que me hace difícil darle una valoración y opinión global.

Algunas de las escritoras que aparecen en la lista ya había leído, caso de Julie Kagawa y Rachel Hawkins. Y luego otras que tenía pensado nunca leer como (y únicamente): Amanda Hocking. Ok, no sé por qué nunca me ha caído bien la señora Hocking, y sus libros no me han interesado mucho, se me hacen muy clichés. Y esta antología solo confirmó mis sospechas, la historia corta de Hocking es tan presuntuosa, no, en serio, me imagino al editor leyendo el material de los otros escritores y llegar al de Hocking...

Pero esa solo soy yo siendo un poco hater xD

Grim tiene muy buenas historias cortas. Mis favoritas:

• Beauty and The Chad de Sarah Rees-Brennan: me reí un montón, está sí es un buen retelling de La Bella y la Bestia. Buenísimo.
• Figment de Jeri Smith-Ready: #Crying
• Thinner than water de Saundra Mitchell: Una de las mejores del libro. Oscuro, retorcido. Justo lo que el libro buscaba. Quiero leer más de Saundra.
• The Brothers Piggett de Julie Kagawa: Me gustó mucho la adaptación que se hizo
• Untethered de Sonia Gensler: ♥

Les voy a ser sincera y estos son solo algunos que me acuerdo xD Mi cuaderno me está ayudando, pero fui muy tacaña con los comentarios ahí.

Grim me ha gustado, como les digo tiene algunas historias que no me engancharon a su lectora, otros como el de Sarah Ress supieron darme mucho en pocas páginas. Es una poco complicado reseñar una antología.
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
A great collection of short stories that retell fairy tales. All of them were good, but some of them were absolute standouts.

Trigger Warning for child abuse.
Thinner Than Water by Saundra Mitchell is one of those standouts. "I’m the Princess of Flamen, and every night, my father— the king—comes to my bed." Merula is trapped. Her father's desire to marry her--to fuck her--is wrong and she knows it. But he's the King and no one, not even she, can defy him. So she creates challenges to delay their wedding. She wants a gown of sunlight, a stola of moonlight, a palla of starlight. And when her father the King produces all these things, she is trapped. What I loved about this story was Augusta Merula herself. She was angry, rightly so, and she made certain that every person collaborating with the King knew exactly what they were doing to her. And then she made her own plans to save herself.

Beast/Beast by Tessa Gratton is, of course, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The Beast knows his part in the curse and the Beauty slowly finds hers. It's a sad, lovely story of Beauty finding her purpose and discovering herself.

Untethered by Sonia Gensler is a ghost story about a family's terrible loss. It's about mothers and daughters and sisters, it's about grief and coming together. It's about love.

Beauty and The Chad by Sarah Rees Brennan is a hilarious Beauty and the Beast retelling. Beauty believes in honor and The Chad misses his XBox.

(Provided by publisher)
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
This collection of short stories contain all the best elements of the classic fairy tale: magic, quests, and a dark twist. Some are strictly modern tales, with the magic a paranormal element. Some are set in the timeless fairy tale world. There are even a few that have no magic at all save for the magic of bravery. As a fan of the "Beauty and the Beast" story, I was pleased to see two different interpretations of that classic tale. Part of the fun of reading each story was that moment of recognition of the fairy tale inspiration. My favorites: Beast/Beast, Light it Up, A Real Boy, Beauty and the Chad. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 23, 2018 |
This is an excellent anthology, though it goes the way most anthologies go, with hits and misses throughout the book.

My favorites of the bunch were Figment a touchingly sentimental story about a magic charm that brings luck and the boy who receives it. Beast/Beast, a rather straightforward Beauty and the Beast retelling, but with an anti-heroine twist on Beauty. Untethered, which, I'm not certain what fairytale it was retelling, but it was ghostly and excellent. A Real Boy, a sci-fi take on Pinocchio. And Sell Out, twist on Snow White where kisses of life have been made corporate.

Some of the stories were misses for me. There were a few that dragged and some that were just too close to the original story that the twist didn't really make it interesting. The anthology itself took me a long time to read, which is surprising because usually short stories are fast reads for me.

Overall, though, this was a good collection. I would have liked for it to have had a darker tone overall (I mean, come on, the cover/title imply as much!) but I'm content with what I was given.

I received a copy of this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |

The Key by Rachel Hawkins: I’m a big fan of Rachel Hawkins, and this story did not disappoint. I didn’t see the ending coming, and I love when that happens. The Key was a great way to start this anthology, and added in the right amount of creepy.

Figment by Jeri Smith-Ready: I loved this story. It’s kind of bittersweet. I like that there is an epilogue included at the end. We get closure from this tale, and it definitely gave me the warm fuzzies.

The Twelfth-Girl by Malinda Lo: This needs to be a full length novel. I loved it, and I have to know more about the lives of the girls at the private school, and the “other” world. The ending totally creeped me out, and I think it could be elaborated on so much more.

The Raven Princess by Jon Skovron: This is another story that left me with warm fuzzies. There’s definitely a moral, and I kind of figured out where this was going early on. That didn’t stop me from enjoying it though.

Thinner Than Water by Saundra Mitchell: First, a disclaimer about this short story, it deals with incest. There isn’t anything graphically explained, but you know it’s going on. I will say after having a hard time reading about the incest, I did end up enjoying this story. The princess takes some great strides in setting things right.

Before the Rose Bloomed by Ellen Hopkins: This just wasn’t for me. I have no problems with writing in prose, but the way the story flowed didn’t work for me.

Beast/Beast by Tessa Gratton: I love Beauty and the Beast retellings, and this one was great. It was eery, and the writing was beautiful.

The Brothers Piggett by Julie Kagawa: When I found out Julie Kagawa was doing a Three Little Pigs retelling I was anxious to know how she was going to do it. I freaking loved this short story. It was a bit predictable, but very enjoyable.

Untethered by Sonia Gensler: Untethered was an okay read for me. I knew what was going to happen from the beginning. I do like Gensler’s writing style, though.

Better by Shaun David Hutchinson: Loved this one. We get a sci-fi feel, and a crazy turn of events at the end. I don’t want to ruin the story, but this is definitely one of my favorites in the anthology.

Light It Up by Kimberly Derting: I didn’t finish this story. It just didn’t keep my attention.

Sharper than a Serpent’s Tongue by Christine Johnson: This one was just odd. I didn’t really see a point to it, and that could be because I don’t know the original tale it was based on.

A Real Boy by Claudia Gray: Probably one of my favorites in the anthology. I love the sci-fi element, and seeing things through new eyes again. There’s something about innocence that gives me the warm fuzzies.

Skin-Trade by Myra McEntire: Creepy, but great. Love Myra McEntire’s writing. This was a great short story!

Beauty and the Chad by Sarah Rees Brennan: I love how Brennan’s writing is always fun and draws you in. The story read like a mix between the Disney movie, and just pure fun.

The Pink by Amanda Hocking: Another in the middle short story for me. I don’t have feelings for it either way.

Sell Out by Jackson Pearce: My first time reading anything by Jackson Pearce, and I wish this was longer! I loved it. I will definitely be reading more of this author.

BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

Pearce, JacksonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Skovron, JonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith-Ready, JeriContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is for you.
High school is hard enough without having a psychic for a mom.
Contents:

Beast/Beast - Tessa Gratton

The Brothers Piggett - Julie Kagawa

Untethered - Sonia Gensler

Better - Shaun David Hutchinson

Light It Up - Kimberly Derting)
Sharper Than a Serpent's Tongue - Christine Johnson

A Real Boy - Claudia Gray

Skin Trade - Myra McEntire

Beauty and the Chad - Sarah Rees Brennan

The Pink: A Grimm Story - Amanda Hocking

Sell Out - Jackson Pearce

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,981,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible