Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

Dorothy Must Die (edition 2014)

by Danielle Paige

Member:kgriffith
Title:Dorothy Must Die
Authors:Danielle Paige
Info:HarperCollins (2014), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:***1/2

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

Amy Gumm may be from a farm town in Kansas but no one should ever underestimate her. When she's swept away by a tornado, she lands in Oz. Only Oz is nothing like the movie (books if you're awesome and read them). It's dark, gloomy and all kinds of twisted. Wicked is good, good is wicked. This was a wild ride and fantastic start to a great series. ( )
  ilonon | Mar 22, 2017 |
Absolutetly wonderful book. Would recomend to anyone. Book pulls you into an amazing world and can keep you there for hours. Wonderful characters great story line. An absolute must read for YA lovers! ( )
  dmytrukc | Mar 13, 2017 |
I don't mean to be unkind to this book when rating it, because it was truly entertaining and it was easy to get lost in the characters and in the plot. However, I found a lot of places where it just seemed like the author forgot a lot of what she was writing as she wrote it. Something would be explained to the main character, Amy, and then not even a few paragraphs later it was as if she hadn't ever known it and was learning it (again) for the first time when a different character explained it to her. Events got the same treatment. I found this to be distracting and confusing, and I frequently had to wonder if, since this happened so often, was it by design or just sloppiness? I kept thinking that at some point it would all come together and I'd realize by the last page that it only LOOKED sloppy, even though I found it hard to figure out how in the world most of this forgetfulness could be explained. But, unfortunately, that didn't happen. Still, this is just the first book so maybe it will be explained in another book, after all.

As I said before, though, this book is entertaining and easy to get lost in, despite that. I was interested to see what was going to happen to Amy, or to her Oz acquaintances, next. And there was a twist at the end that I definitely did NOT see coming at all. When it happened, I had to reread the paragraph a few times!!

I liked Amy's upbringing, as well. Not because I think someone deserves that, but because I think it's very relatable to a lot of young people, especially today. A cheating father who walked out on the family so that he could start a new one, a mother who used to be a great mom but became so bogged down by stress and sadness, and possibly depression, over her circumstances that she essentially gave up and became an alcoholic and left Amy not only to basically raise herself but to take care of her mother, as well. Bullies at school, not popular. Having been accustomed to a much better life when her family was whole only to end up having to live in a trailer park. But, despite that, she still had goals she wanted to accomplish, even if they were just personal goals that were to get her from one place to more comfortable other place.

This is a character that a lot of people can relate to, and I'm glad that she has this background. I'm more used to characters who come from more conventional families with both parents present. And if they aren't, something tragic and unforeseen has happened to make that occur, or they're workaholics. Characters with backgrounds like this are also relatable and necessary, I don't mean to imply that they should be abandoned. But, when that's really all the variation you get most of the time, there are LOTS of kids out there who don't have home lives that look at all like that who aren't getting represented. I think Amy Gumm's character is great not just because I find her personality likable and relatable, but because I think her character's background comes from a place that a lot of kids will be able to see themselves in her in ways that they don't normally get to due to similar life experiences rather than just similar personalities.

I'm looking forward to the next book to find out what happens with Amy Gumm and her adventures in Oz! I really want to know! And I want to see more of Amy.

I'm also really interested to see what happened to cause Dorothy to become the way she is. There's a lot of speculation and hints in this book, but no concrete answers. So, I'm glad to find out that there is a digital novella that works as a prequel that will tell us this and I'm looking forward to reading that at some point soon, too. Throughout the entire book, you can't help but wonder. Amy wonders, too. It'll be great to get to see it play out.

Seriously, don't let my rating or my points about sloppy writing in places, deter you from this book. It's definitely worth reading! ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
75/150

Halfway there! ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
Loved it!! can't wait to read the next. I really enjoyed this retelling. I think it was really interesting and very descriptive. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
For Mom, Dad, Andrea, Sienna & Fiona
I first discovered I was trash three days before my ninth birthday - one year after my father lost his job and moved to Secaucus to live with a woman named Crystal and four years before my mother had the car accident, started taking pills, and began exclusively wearing bedroom slippers instead of normal shoes.

AR Level 5.1, 17.0 pts

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.
What happened?
Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.
My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission:
Remove the Tin Woodman's heart.
Steal the Scarecrow's brain.
Take the Lion's courage.
Then and only then—Dorothy must die!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Amy Gumm, the other girl from Kansas, has been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked to stop Dorothy who has found a way to come back to Oz, seizing a power that has gone to her head -- so now no one is safe!

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible