Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

Dorothy Must Die (edition 2014)

by Danielle Paige

Member:kgriffith
Title:Dorothy Must Die
Authors:Danielle Paige
Info:HarperCollins (2014), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:***1/2

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

I was kind of disappointed in this book. I felt like parts were a little drug out but the concept is good. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
This was ... not good. It's a classic example of a really interesting idea married to mediocre plotting and pedestrian writing. Other than that, it's great!

No, but seriously: Amy Gumm is a teenage girl living in Kansas (remind you of anyone else in literary history)? She's got the usual angsty teenage girl troubles — a dysfunctional mother, an absent father, mean girls at school — but all of that pales in comparison to what awaits her when a tornado blows her trailer home off its foundations and brings it down in Oz. Yep, that Oz.

Despite the author's fondness for refusing to share information with either her protagonist or her readers, we and Amy eventually learn that something or someone has brought her to Oz because it needs saving. It seems Dorothy, having first decided there was no place like home, took one look around the flatlands of Kansas and decided she was better off in Munchkinland. So she returned to Oz, where through some convoluted shenanigans that I still don't understand managed to overthrow the reigning princess and take control. Now she rules with an iron fist, in the form of a tyrannical Tin Woodman, along with a no-longer-cowardly Lion and a mad-scientist Scarecrow. Oh, and Glinda the Good Witch is now a bitch. The Revolutionary Order of the Wicked (as in Witches, among others) trains Amy to infiltrate the Emerald City and snuff out her fellow Kansan so that Oz can return to the magical wonderland it was always meant to be.

So the concept is intriguing but the execution is a mess. Amy is a whiny teenage girl (to be honest, not my favorite category of human being, and I say that as someone who was one) who is forever haring off and getting herself into trouble. The witches who are grooming her to be an assassin are more cryptic than a British crossword, and there's a painfully strained attempt at a love triangle that is just stupid. And if all that was not enough, the book ends on a damned cliffhanger and it turns out there are four or five more books in the series.

A few caveats to my negativity: I am assuredly not the target audience for a YA novel, though I have read and enjoyed many. Also, having never read L. Frank Baum's original Wizard of Oz books nor ever having seen the movie, I suspect some references may have gone over my head. And finally, I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Devon Sorvari, and I thought it was pretty terrible. It got better once the action moved to Oz but she still had that snotty teenager voice going that sets my teeth on edge.

One-tenth of a star upgrade for the name of the main character; the birth name of Judy Garland, who played Dorothy in the classic movie, was Frances Gumm. ( )
  rosalita | Jun 21, 2018 |
I was super excited about this book, but it didn’t quite meet the expectations I had set for it. Though the concept is super amazing, the execution fell flat. I feel like I landed somewhere in the middle of loving and hating the story.

I think my main problem with the book was the main character. I feel that if you’re going to pit a new character against a beloved classic, you really need to make the main character like-able. And I hate to admit it, but I didn’t like Amy very much. Her characterization changed too quickly. One second, her character was too rough and then overly-emotional the next. These opposite-end emotions are fine, but the transition between the two was abrupt, which didn't read smoothly and made her character read too surface.

In addition, I wasn’t a fan of the romance. Its clear that Nox and Amy are supposed to be romantic interests but I don't think their relationship is developing in a proper way. At first, it was somewhat non-existent with little hints at a possible crush here and there. I could handle that because it was developing at a proper pace. However, it became rushed soon after and I couldn’t help but feel annoyed.

Overall, I can definitely say I enjoyed this book! Aside from the little things that bothered me, including the two big things mentioned above, I thought it was great and quite a unique take on a classic story. The ending bit of the story actually really pleased me and made me excited to read the next! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Overall, I really enjoyed the concept of this book. I seem to be saying that a lot lately. And it's usually followed by a big BUT. This is no exception. I just don't know how to feel about the writing. I had problems with certain aspects of the character development (Amy seems to pick and choose whom to take at face value. Yes, this could be because she's a teenager and hasn't been exposed to truly evil people, but she's also not a naive character. She's seen and been around nasty people. I don't know. Writing flaw or just a character flaw? Hard to tell), but I thought the story was fun. Who doesn't want to revisit Oz? I'm really sick of first person narrative, though,so some of my issues are probably just personal.

Oh, I just remembered another, more significant, reason why this book bugged me. It based its characterizations (Glinda specifically) on the MOVIE, not the book. In the book, Dorothy's shoes are SILVER, not ruby. And Glinda is a little old witchy woman, not a glamorous young thang with red hair. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
This was a good and fast paced book for me. I picked it up and before I knew it the book was over. I really liked the premise of flipping our beloved oz on its head. Great read! ( )
  puredragonstar | Mar 21, 2018 |
For Mom, Dad, Andrea, Sienna & Fiona
I first discovered I was trash three days before my ninth birthday - one year after my father lost his job and moved to Secaucus to live with a woman named Crystal and four years before my mother had the car accident, started taking pills, and began exclusively wearing bedroom slippers instead of normal shoes.

AR Level 5.1, 17.0 pts

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.
What happened?
Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.
My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission:
Remove the Tin Woodman's heart.
Steal the Scarecrow's brain.
Take the Lion's courage.
Then and only then—Dorothy must die!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Amy Gumm, the other girl from Kansas, has been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked to stop Dorothy who has found a way to come back to Oz, seizing a power that has gone to her head -- so now no one is safe!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,002,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible