Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

Dorothy Must Die (edition 2014)

by Danielle Paige

Collections:Wishlist
Rating:***1/2

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

Recently added byrena75, wisemetis, TLWelsh1108

As someone who LOVED the Wizard of Oz when she was younger, I felt like I couldn't let this book pass.

And I am so glad I picked it up because this crazy, twisted, upside-down version was so much fun to read.

I do feel like the writing and dialogue needs some growth. There were parts that I felt were mature while others fell short and seemed a little on the juvenile side. However, the excellent world building and re-imagining of Oz makes those little quibbles fall by the wayside.

This world Danielle created is so visceral...it's like a constant picture book in your head. I could see so clearly what she was describing.

You will walk away from this book wanting to join the crusade in ending Dorothy. She's a bitch.

jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
Amy Gumm has been named "Salvation Amy trailer trash" by her classmates at school. As if that is not enough, Amy's Dad left her and her mother when Amy was little. And for quite a few years Amy's mother has been mostly lost in her own world of alcohol and self-pity. They happen to live in a trailer in Dusty Acres, Kansas. When we read that a tornado develops and lifts Amy and her trailer into its funnel while twisting and turning them until they are dropped in the land of Oz we are reminded of another girl from Kansas by the name of Dorothy whose house also landed in Oz. But Oz is not a happy place now because Dorothy is the ruler and she is an evil and self-centered ruler. However, Amy's arrival seems to portend changes for the future of the land because there is hope that she will be the one to free all of Oz by killing Dorothy. This appears to be an insurmountable task but Amy finds that she has many allies who are willing to offer her their assistance.

Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, the Lion, the Wizard and all of the familiar characters from Baum's story of Oz appear in this book. But Danielle Paige has given them new dark personas and the land of the Yellow Brick Road is a scary one. I found the changes to be intriguing. Unfortunately there were a few parts of the book that got a little slow paced and the book ended rather abruptly. Even so, I will be waiting for the next book to learn if Amy is successful in freeing Oz from Dorothy's powerful rule. And will she somehow make it back to Kansas to be reunited with her mother. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Let's start with, lately I have seriously had a knack for picking stories told in first person...which I hate. This was an interesting enough story that it was pretty easy to ignore. This book was dark, very dark and a teeny bit gruesome.

Amy is a teenager from Kansas. She lives in a trailer, her dad walked out on them, her mom has turned into a junkie that blames Amy for every bad thing in her life. Her school life is terrible, she's been bullied for years, has no friends and no means of escaping her craptastic life. That is until a tornado hits and sweeps her away to Oz. Yup, just like in the movie she'd seen bunches of times as a child.

However, she doesn't find herself in the Oz of the movie or storybook. This Oz is desolate and decaying. As it turns out, Dorothy, who had gotta a taste for magic, found her way back to Oz and took over. Now she and Glinda are mining it for it's magic and killing it an it's inhabitants in the process.

Amy, who has her pet rat, Star as a companion meets people who (somewhat) explain to her what has been going on and eventually she falls in with the Order. Which is led...by...the...wicked...witches? Yeah, things have gotten so bad that the wicked have joined forces to stop Dorothy, and Amy is their weapon of choice. She is trained by them in combat and in the use of magic before being sent to the palace in disguise. She's meant to be a spy to gather information that will help with their plan, only Amy is never given the details of the plan or a way to relay any information she may have discovers. She has to wing it and in doing so learns that there is more than one faction that is trying to rise up and take Dorothy out of power... and she gets herself into trouble.

I like Amy, but she's too full of doubt and indecision. Which, considering her circumstances is totally understandable. My thoughts are that she can't really trust any of the factions, and she knows that, but hasn't exactly accepted it. While these groups may be operating under the guise of making Oz great again--and yes that is an actual phrase from the book and it made me cringe reading it--I think they all want Dorothy out of power because she's a monster who is destroying their world, but also because they want to be in power themselves.

Amy has a tough road ahead because her mission is to kill Dorothy, and she royally botched it in this book. Dorothy has managed to escape and no one knows where. Now Amy's been thrown together with a different resistance group and who knows what they will tell her in order to get her to do what they want. All she knows is that before she can kill Dorothy, she must stop her first companions in Oz. That means, taking the heart of the Tin Woodman, the brain of the Scarecrow, and the courage of the Lion. And then, hopefully, Dorothy will finally die. ( )
  Virago77 | Sep 26, 2018 |
I was kind of disappointed in this book. I felt like parts were a little drug out but the concept is good. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
This was ... not good. It's a classic example of a really interesting idea married to mediocre plotting and pedestrian writing. Other than that, it's great!

No, but seriously: Amy Gumm is a teenage girl living in Kansas (remind you of anyone else in literary history)? She's got the usual angsty teenage girl troubles — a dysfunctional mother, an absent father, mean girls at school — but all of that pales in comparison to what awaits her when a tornado blows her trailer home off its foundations and brings it down in Oz. Yep, that Oz.

Despite the author's fondness for refusing to share information with either her protagonist or her readers, we and Amy eventually learn that something or someone has brought her to Oz because it needs saving. It seems Dorothy, having first decided there was no place like home, took one look around the flatlands of Kansas and decided she was better off in Munchkinland. So she returned to Oz, where through some convoluted shenanigans that I still don't understand managed to overthrow the reigning princess and take control. Now she rules with an iron fist, in the form of a tyrannical Tin Woodman, along with a no-longer-cowardly Lion and a mad-scientist Scarecrow. Oh, and Glinda the Good Witch is now a bitch. The Revolutionary Order of the Wicked (as in Witches, among others) trains Amy to infiltrate the Emerald City and snuff out her fellow Kansan so that Oz can return to the magical wonderland it was always meant to be.

So the concept is intriguing but the execution is a mess. Amy is a whiny teenage girl (to be honest, not my favorite category of human being, and I say that as someone who was one) who is forever haring off and getting herself into trouble. The witches who are grooming her to be an assassin are more cryptic than a British crossword, and there's a painfully strained attempt at a love triangle that is just stupid. And if all that was not enough, the book ends on a damned cliffhanger and it turns out there are four or five more books in the series.

A few caveats to my negativity: I am assuredly not the target audience for a YA novel, though I have read and enjoyed many. Also, having never read L. Frank Baum's original Wizard of Oz books nor ever having seen the movie, I suspect some references may have gone over my head. And finally, I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Devon Sorvari, and I thought it was pretty terrible. It got better once the action moved to Oz but she still had that snotty teenager voice going that sets my teeth on edge.

One-tenth of a star upgrade for the name of the main character; the birth name of Judy Garland, who played Dorothy in the classic movie, was Frances Gumm. ( )
  rosalita | Jun 21, 2018 |
For Mom, Dad, Andrea, Sienna & Fiona
I first discovered I was trash three days before my ninth birthday - one year after my father lost his job and moved to Secaucus to live with a woman named Crystal and four years before my mother had the car accident, started taking pills, and began exclusively wearing bedroom slippers instead of normal shoes.

AR Level 5.1, 17.0 pts

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.
What happened?
Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.
My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission:
Remove the Tin Woodman's heart.
Steal the Scarecrow's brain.
Take the Lion's courage.
Then and only then—Dorothy must die!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Amy Gumm, the other girl from Kansas, has been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked to stop Dorothy who has found a way to come back to Oz, seizing a power that has gone to her head -- so now no one is safe!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,053,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible