Selling Out by Justina Robson

Selling Out

by Justina Robson

English (14)  Swedish (1)  All languages (15)
I really enjoyed the first in this series, which was a pleasant inter-genre affair with an interesting main character. Lila's attempts to survive politics, deadly mysteries and hot elf action were entertaining, and Robson presented her setting with a fair amount of subtlety.

This book was a big turnaround. Gone is most of the romance angle, with Lila's best boy stranded in a different dimension, so we can't enjoy their interactions. Both are also separated from Lila's buddies, which also cuts down on characterisation. Instead, the novel focuses on two things: dimensional politics, and the convoluted metaphysics of this multiverse. The problem here is that I really wasn't interested in these, and there's an awful lot of it. It doesn't help that every universe is somewhat arbitrary because of the mystical-magical thing that's going on, so not only is there a new fantasy culture and appearance to learn about, but the basic laws of the universe can differ. And I just don't particularly care about that. I don't mind learning this stuff as you go along, but I don't want it as the focus of the book.

From what I've heard, the rest of the series is even more focused on the metaverse stuff, so I'll give it a pass. I came for tongue-in-cheek technofantastical romance adventure, not a DM's guide. ( )
  Shimmin | Oct 18, 2014 |
Elves with tech
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
The flip side of the Elves are the Demons, and it's an interesting to orient alongside Lila to this wide open culture. Perfect for a woman so repressed, the scar tissue is being torn from one than one of Lila's hidden wounds. Zal and Malachi are up to their own adventures, but truthfully, I am impatient every time the story takes me away from Lila.

Lila spiralsndown into her own Hell, and her crisis of soul has lessnto do with loathing her mechanised body (as in book one), as with facing the greater unpleasant truths about her relationship with her employers. Zal is in his utmost Jack Sparrow mode, stumbling through revelations with a grin and a non sequitur. I kept reading for the moment Zal, Lila and Teazle end up in the same room, and it's not until the last chapter that my hopes where realized. Of course, this has me anxious to get started on book three... ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
At times I thought it was a bit stupid, but overall the story was interesting. The plot is getting more complex. ( )
  gregandlarry | Dec 29, 2011 |
Even better than the first in the series! ( )
  tinLizzy | Sep 9, 2010 |
Lila Black sat in the office of her psychologist, Dr Williams.

A melding of science fiction and fantasy brought together in the figure of the dangerously lovely Lila Black, a 21-year-old secret agent who's had much of her body replaced with weapon-and-armor-heavy intelligent metal and who isn't sure where her mind ends and her installed AI begins. Lila's world is one where demons, elves, and elementals live alongside people. And somehow Lila and the other agents of the security agency have to provide security for all and stay alive themselves.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,147,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible