Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less

by Greg Mckeown

Business. Self-Improvement. Nonfiction. Economics. HTML:NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • More than one million copies sold! Essentialism isn’t about getting more done in less time. It’s about getting only the right things done.

“A timely, essential read for anyone who feels overcommitted, overloaded, or overworked.”—Adam Grant

Have you ever:
• found yourself stretched too thin?
• simultaneously felt overworked and underutilized?
• felt busy but not productive?
• felt like your time is constantly being hijacked by other people’s agendas?

If you answered yes to any of these, the way out is the Way of the Essentialist

Essentialism is more than a time-management strategy or a productivity technique. It is a systematic discipline for discerning what is absolutely essential, then eliminating everything that is not, so we can make the highest possible contribution toward the things that really matter.

By forcing us to apply more selective criteria for what is Essential, the disciplined pursuit of less empowers us to reclaim control of our own choices about where to spend our precious time and energy—instead of giving others the implicit permission to choose for us.

Essentialism is not one more thing—it’s a whole new way of doing everything. It’s about doing less, but better, in every area of our lives. Essentialism is a movement whose time has come.
… (more)

Teens+
  ASSG.Library | Apr 12, 2024 |
So much great information, I just know I'm going to have to read it again sometime down the road. A lot to process, a lot to ingest, and a lot to grow from. I saw some features in myself which pleased me, and some which I consciously need to work on. This is a must read for anybody who wants to improve themselves in anyway whatsoever. The principles you read here can be applied to everything in life. ( )
  teejayhanton | Mar 22, 2024 |
The first half of this book was actually really good, and I ended up taking a lot of notes on how to better prioritize my goals, work, and planning, as well as living a more productive life. However, the second half became much more of just a collection of business analogies that seemed a bit repetitive and not as helpful as the beginning. It ended up dragging the book down and just didn’t seem as solid as it could have been. But again, definitely some good advice in the beginning, especially if you’re looking to cut out unnecessary distractions and trivial matters in your life! ( )
  deborahee | Feb 23, 2024 |
I checked this out at the library because it was mentioned by literacy expert Pernille Ripp as a book that changed her outlook on life. I recently read [b:Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals|54785515|Four Thousand Weeks Time Management for Mortals|Oliver Burkeman|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1627425434l/54785515._SY75_.jpg|85465206] and liked it a lot so I thought reading more on the topic of doing less would help me commit to a less harried lifestyle.

I was surprised to find a book targeted mainly at busy business people. Most of the examples are about wealthy CEOs like Steve Jobs, Jack Dorsey, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, the usual suspects. But I don't find anecdotal success stories very compelling (particularly after reading [b:Outliers: The Story of Success|3228917|Outliers The Story of Success|Malcolm Gladwell|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1344266315l/3228917._SX50_.jpg|3364437]).

One part made me laugh out loud -- he's talking about reading something classic and important every morning and then he gives some examples and the list is like Zen Buddhism, Confucious, the Torah, the Bible, the Tao Te Ching, the Quran, and the Book of Mormon. I was like, one of these things is not like other. Then I saw that he went to Bringham Young and I was like of course he's LDS. The vibe of the book is very wholesome privileged white male who believes in the gospel of prosperity.

If you're busy because you serve on too many boards of trustees, this might be the book for you. If you are busy because you have a normal job, don't have a stay-at-home spouse taking care of all things domestic, have to take care of your aging parents, and get guilted into volunteering to keep the school PTA afloat, I'm not sure if this is all that helpful. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
Author frequently references other management and nonfiction writers such as Drucker, Kahneman, Duhigg, whom I've read, and effectively pulls their best bits to illustrate his own point. Can't decide if this is more for management, or self-improvement. In the end it gushes too much like self-affirmations. Also, assumes that reader struggles with work/family balance, which is not necessarily the same thing as work/life balance. There were a few jewels that I would consider looking up the print book for. Audiobook read by the author. ( )
  mimo | Dec 18, 2023 |
The Invincible Power of Choosing to Choose

For too long, we have overemphasized the external aspect of choices (our options) and underemphasized our internal ability to choose (our actions). This is more than semantics. Think about it this way. Options (things) can be taken away, while our core ability to choose (free will) cannot be.
If you don’t prioritize your life, someone else will.
The ability to choose cannot be taken away or even given away—it can only be forgotten.
The overwhelming reality is: we live in a world where almost everything is worthless and a very few things are exceptionally valuable. As John Maxwell has written, “You cannot overestimate the unimportance of practically everything.”
A Non-essentialist thinks almost everything is essential.

An Essentialist thinks almost everything is nonessential.

Have you ever:
• found yourself stretched too thin?
• simultaneously felt overworked and underutilized?
• felt busy but not productive?
• felt like your time is constantly being hijacked by other people’s agendas?

If you answered yes to any of these, the way out is the Way of the Essentialist

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,321,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible