Visions by Kelley Armstrong

Visions (edition 2014)

by Kelley Armstrong (Author)

Series: Cainsville (2)

Estranged from Gabriel when his past comes to light, Olivia Taylor-Jones receives a sinister warning in the form of a murder victim dressed to look like her and struggles to learn the truth about the victim, the role of her new home, and her susceptibility to old enemies.
Member:AniseEden
Title:Visions
Authors:Kelley Armstrong (Author)
Info:Dutton (2014), Edition: 1st, 464 pages

Work Information

Visions by Kelley Armstrong

VISIONS is the fast-paced second book in the Cainsville series. The focus in this one shifts away from proving Olivia's parents innocent of being serial killers and shifts more to the town of Cainsville and the citizens and secrets there.

Olivia has found out the Gabriel has been taking money from her ex-fiance James to try to get them back together. Naturally, Olivia feels betrayed and loses trust in Gabriel at a time when she really needs someone to rely on. She is seeing all kinds of signs and portents and is also seeing various parts of Ciara Conway including her dismembered head. Since the body or head keep disappearing before anyone else sees them, Olivia isn't sure that the sightings are real.

The one thing Olivia can be sure of is that Gabriel is going to believe her and support her through visions or reality. I like the way her relationship with Gabriel is going. One of the characters suggests that Gabriel is feral and he does show some signs that that is true. His background has taught him that anyone can walk out at any time. So he is determined not to care about anyone. If you don't care, after all, you can be hurt when they leave. It takes a while for Olivia to learn this about him and to look at what he does rather than what he says.

Olivia is also having a relationship with Ricky Gallagher, who is the son of the leader of Satan's Saints, a local motorcycle gang with ties to all sorts of crime. Gabriel isn't happy about the relationship for a number of reasons. The one he states is that there could be a conflict of interest since he is the lawyer for both Olivia's mother and for Satan's Saints. Also, there might be more conflict because Olivia is now working for Gabriel as an investigator. However, Ricky is a nice guy who satisfies Olivia's need for sex and speed and she likes him.

Somehow, all of them - Olivia, Gabriel, and Ricky - are pawns in some sort of game being played by two groups of fey. And sometimes the pawns need to be sacrificed.

I enjoyed this story very much. I can't wait to read more in this series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Apr 30, 2021 |
great book, I think there was more action and character development that the first book, but it could be just me. can't wait to read the next book!!! ( )
  Mithra_Azad | Mar 26, 2021 |
Just finished, so still digesting... Immediate thoughts: (mildest of spoilers possible)
1) the mystical/paranormal makes a much stronger appearance in this book, and the characters are even forcing themselves to notice it.
2) false note: Olivia tries to give Gabriel an easy out to rescind his invitation for her to see his apartment. A couple pages later, he takes that chance, and she chews him out for making her feel unwelcome and goes off in a huff. She does not reflect on her own sudden change of heart in this regard.
2a) not sure how to feel about the relationships. I dislike how Olivia's ex is becoming deranged, and Clever Clever Olivia never realized he had a fierce business side. I dislike how the new, happy, healthy relationship has already been suggested by various other characters as Not To Be, and that Olivia/Gabriel is the obvious endgame. I want to go along with it, but otoh how refreshing it would be for them to stay friends!
Addendum:
3) confrontation with an antagonist came out of nowhere
4) another false note: "genetic component to addiction" hand-wave aside, it was a bit gross to see the bad seed angle. A character was switched at birth from a white trash home into a good, healthy, non-related family. She grows up to get hooked on meth in college, and ohhh, it explains sooooo much knowing she was born of shiftless, mild criminal types! Whereas her counterpart--born to the healthy family but raised by the crappy one--so obviously stands out from her home by her pride, ambition, cleanliness. yuck. There were some other mentions regarding the "nature" of characters, so I'm hoping for some ass-kicking by "nurture" down the line. ( )
  elam11 | May 30, 2020 |
Mozhan Marno and Carine Montbertrand are the narrators of the audiobook. A very interesting series that I want to see more of.
4 stars, and recommended. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Gabriel trying to people and failing will never not be delightful to me. ( )
  thewanlorn | Feb 24, 2020 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mauro, TonyIllustrationsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Theodor, AlissaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Jeff
The poppies were a bad sign. A death omen.
I didn't care if the house was obviously empty -- I wasn't venturing unarmed into the pitch-black basement of an abandoned house chasing my missing cat. That screams slasher flick. (chapter 23)
I took him back to my apartment and he happily trotted inside. TC, that is -- not Gabriel, although he did come in, without comment or request, rather like the cat, presuming he'd be welcome and making himself at home. (chapter 26)
Gabriel fell asleep before we hit the outskirts of Cainsville. This would have been much more troubling if he'd been the one behind the wheel. (chapter 67)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,580,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible